How did Sarabi (and Sarafina) react?

How did Sarabi (and Sarafina) react?

Postby PrincessKiara » December 13th, 2013, 11:47 pm

This is something I`ve always wondered about and wanted to ask your opinions.

How did Sarabi and Sarafina (Nalas mother) react to their cubs going to the Elephant Graveyard? Do you think Sarabi too scolded Simba when father and son returned home, or was she just happy that the cub was unhurt?

What about Nala and Sarafina? When Nala asked her mother for permission to go with Simba, Nala didn`t know where they were actually going. How do you think Sarafina reacted when she learned the truth (from Zazu, I`m assuming)?
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Re: How did Sarabi (and Sarafina) react?

Postby Regulus » December 13th, 2013, 11:55 pm

I kinda assumed that they just didn't know. Neither of the two lionesses are given any screen time from that scene up until the scene of Scar's ascension, so it's pretty irrelevant, in any case.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby DGFone » December 14th, 2013, 12:15 am

I would imagine the two of them got disciplined by their mothers as well. Maybe Simba not as much, because he already got the Mufasa treatment, but Nala I am sure did get at least a stern talking to. In terms of who is harsher, Sarabi or Sarafina, plenty of fan-fictions I've read depict Sarafina as being very soft on Nala. At least two I read that included what happened to Nala after the graveyard adventure, Sarafina didn't even do much. Both of these fics had the "lecture" sum up to be "Nala, I love you and I don't want to lose you, so don't do it again."

Personally, I don't think that Sarafina is this soft. Sure, the movie doesn't give us a lot to go with, but at the same time, their lions. Messing with hyenas is roughly akin to human children playing Frogger on the freeway: it's not something you just give a stern talking to. So even though we never sew it, due to it not being important enough to give screen time, I am sure that both Simba and Nala got punished more than just having to deal with a riot act.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby KingCub » December 14th, 2013, 12:48 am

I don think Sarabi did too much to Simba. Im pretty sure he got the point after Mufasa had a talk with him. I bet she was disappointed that her son had lied to them, but relieved as he is still alright.

As for Sarafina, I can see her being a little tough on Nala, but nothing to bad. Just a small talking too get the point across to her.
You are what you love, not who loves you.
Thanks Regulus for the lovely siggy!
Other Things~
Spoiler: show

Thank you Kib and SimbasMate!

Photography | Ask Me Stuff | Facebook | My Computer
KingCub

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): KC, Ty
Pride Points: 28

Postby InsaneSeagull » December 14th, 2013, 10:33 pm

It's an interesting observation, something I kinda didn't think about, but which makes sense. The time with their mothers was hardly even shown in the movie.

I do believe they were both scolded for what they did, though. I'm sure Mufasa told both of the mothers what their children had been doing on "around The Water Hole", and that they were quite concerned about.

As for Simba, I think Sarabi gave him a bit of a talk but nothing more, considering he already got his rather serious treatment with Mufasa.

But for Nala... she had only Sarafina. And she's a girl, so I can imagine her getting punished rather harshly compered to Simba. I can't imagine how exactly, but something doesn't tell me she passed with just a small talk.
InsaneSeagull
Asante sana!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Squash banana!

Nickname(s): Kiki, Sponge Bob
Pride Points: 105

Postby juhouh » December 14th, 2013, 10:36 pm

Probably they were just happy about that they were alive, they're both quite temper. But who knows...
Ask me - My Playlist - Steam
"Never trust the future, Never miss the past, If you live for the shining moment, The moment may just last…"
Signature by SimbasMate
juhouh
Nalaholic

Nickname(s): Juho
Pride Points: 46

Postby PrincessKiara » December 14th, 2013, 11:16 pm

[quote="Regulus"]I kinda assumed that they just didn't know. Neither of the two lionesses are given any screen time from that scene up until the scene of Scar's ascension, so it's pretty irrelevant, in any case.[/quote]

I would assume that Mufasa told Sarabi, and Zazu (or perhaps Mufasa) told Sarafina. The lionesses had every right to know where their cubs had been and what had happened. Sure the films focus is on Simba and his journey, but it`s still fun and interesting to speculate about everything and everyone surrounding him.

[quote="DGFone"]I would imagine the two of them got disciplined by their mothers as well. Maybe Simba not as much, because he already got the Mufasa treatment, but Nala I am sure did get at least a stern talking to. In terms of who is harsher, Sarabi or Sarafina, plenty of fan-fictions I've read depict Sarafina as being very soft on Nala. At least two I read that included what happened to Nala after the graveyard adventure, Sarafina didn't even do much. Both of these fics had the "lecture" sum up to be "Nala, I love you and I don't want to lose you, so don't do it again."

Personally, I don't think that Sarafina is this soft. Sure, the movie doesn't give us a lot to go with, but at the same time, their lions. Messing with hyenas is roughly akin to human children playing Frogger on the freeway: it's not something you just give a stern talking to. So even though we never sew it, due to it not being important enough to give screen time, I am sure that both Simba and Nala got punished more than just having to deal with a riot act.[/quote]

I agree. I would think Sarabi had a certain thing or two to say about her son lying to her face and disobeying, but that she wouldn`t be too hard on him considering Mufasa had already dealt with it. I`ve always imagined Sarabi as the stricter mother. In the fanfics I`ve read, Sarafina has been portrayed as kind, quiet.. and as a mother, anything but stern or harsh. Her personality is really up to the imagination of each viewer, and I`ve always imagined Sarafina having a talk with Nala about how she should have been more careful and sensible, but that she didn`t punish her daughter. So I`ve always seen her as a soft mother... however, she might have dealt with this situation more harshly than usual considering the danger involved.
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Postby mamaprince » December 19th, 2013, 8:44 pm

I think That Sarabi was a little bit upset, but was glad that her son was ok. Sarafina probably was a little bit upset, but also glad that Nala was ok.
Sig by Ninven on DA.
mamaprince
Future Storm chaser

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

It's the wonder of nature baby!

Nickname(s): Mp, Stormchaser Rachel, Rachel Storm
Pride Points: 18

Postby TheLionPrince » December 26th, 2013, 5:43 am

I may not have much to offer, but in an earlier version of The Lion King, Sarabi comforts an upset Simba after his first encounter with the hyenas, and sings him a lullaby about the Lion in the Moon. This information comes from The Lion King Laserdisc Side 2, Disc 1. From the look of this deleted concept, it sounds like it was replaced with Mufasa teaching Simba about the Great Kings of the Past. It would have been a nice scene if it was kept in, and make adult Simba's first encounter with Sarabi since his self-exile more emotional.

LionintheMoon.png

It sort of answers how the writers would have dealt with Sarabi reacting to Simba's hyena encounter except with the Lion in the Moon being replaced with the Great Kings of the Past, but the father-son relationship between Mufasa and Simba is what drove the final movie and needed to be dealt with more so Mufasa's death is more emotional.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby KiarasBiggestFan » December 26th, 2013, 6:02 pm

They'd both be happy their cubs are alive. Even if Sarafina is "soft" she might go hard on Nala, almost like Mufasa did, the whole "You could of been killed!" thing or maybe "You shouldn't have listened to Simba! You should have came back and told Mufasa!"

Then it would go to "I don't wanna loose you, you're my daughter."
KiarasBiggestFan
I am the ninja

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

We are one

Nickname(s): Kiara
Pride Points: 3

Return to The Lion King