Yes
37%
I don't have an opinion
8%

Total votes : 38

Re: Are the hyenas evil?

Postby EdtheHyena » December 27th, 2013, 8:15 pm

[quote]
This is a point that I agree with; let me also add how they enjoyed torturing the meerkat colony in TLK 1 & 1/2.
[/quote]

Aw, they were just having good fun. I love that scene.

[quote]

And this raises a question about the topics Has it been confirmed that the hyenas survived? and Shenzi, Banzai & Ed---alive or...no, no, no.... Yes, the question is off topic, but not really, since part of the answer to the question of whether or not the hyenas are evil is whether revenge was (or was one of) their intention(s) for mauling Scar (to death).

If the hyenas wanted Scar to die, and themselves died after and/or while mauling Scar in the fire, but the fire was going to do the job anyways (and they knew it), then why did they essentially commit suicide by finishing the job for the fire before the fire had the chance? It seems to me that if the fire truly consumed Scar and the hyenas, they would have been able to predict this before trapping themselves in its path, so why would they trap themselves in its path anyways, unless they wanted to die? So I don't think the fire consumed Scar and the hyenas.

Or maybe, after seeing Scar rise from his fall, they thought he would escape the fire's path if they didn't finish him off first, so they went for it. Did they not predict that the fire would trap them (assuming it did)? Were they willing to die to get their revenge (were they cutting their noses off to spite their faces, assuming the fire did consume them and they did predict that it would)?[/quote]

I believe those topics are actually invalid, since it has been confirmed they survived. The Timon and Pumbaa series, while generally not considered canon, is set after the movie and features the hyenas in 6 or 7 episodes. This could not be done if they were dead. Although Scar made the briefest of cameos, it is intended as a joke, seeing he is dead. This does not seem to be the case with Shenzi, Banzai, and Ed. They are very much alive.

"Don't lose you're way...with each passing day...you've come so far, don't throw it away."
EdtheHyena

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Eddie
Pride Points: 3

Postby NaiaRulez » April 25th, 2015, 3:23 pm

If they hadn't been slaves or subjects of Scar perhaps they would not.
Scar was the one who made them evil, because a person is not born evil, is for the education they receive. But the reason of heeding Scar made them evil Scar, so technically they're evil.
NaiaRulez

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Naia, Nai
Pride Points: 11

Postby ILoveShenziMarie » May 2nd, 2015, 7:10 am

No!
ILoveShenziMarie

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 2

Postby Sigurd » June 11th, 2015, 3:02 am

From the lions point of view, yes. From their own of view, no, they just want to survive, that is why they follow him, because they benefit from him.
Until I'm home, I'm on a distant road
Sigurd

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 14

Postby ILoveShenziMarie » July 10th, 2015, 4:14 am

[quote="EdtheHyena"][quote]
This is a point that I agree with; let me also add how they enjoyed torturing the meerkat colony in TLK 1 & 1/2.
[/quote]

Aw, they were just having good fun. I love that scene.

[quote]

[/quote][/quote]

I love that scene, too!
ILoveShenziMarie

Pride Points: 2

Postby Elton John » July 10th, 2015, 4:50 am

I don't think they were evil. Desperate and hungry, but not evil.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby KiovuLove » July 10th, 2015, 5:01 am

I agree wholeheartedly with Julie skywalkers first statement. Hunger like they had would make a person crazy. Heck maybe that's what happened to ed. But the point is, they needed hope. If you think about how scar told them about the plot, instead of being like "let's kill him" they assumed he was sick. I know that's not much proof but the chances of them not being as evil as we assume are pretty high. Also they leave after the whole scar fiasco. Idk if that means much but it could mean they knew they were wanted by no one and they were probably sick of lions after dealing with a back stabber like scar.
But you'll see every day
That we'll never turn away
When it seems all your dreams come undone

We will stand by your side
Filled with hope and filled with pride
We are more than we are
We are one

KiovuLove

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I laugh in the face of danger!

Nickname(s): Pandi, Jess
Pride Points: 13

Postby Laika » July 25th, 2015, 10:48 pm

I don't think they're evil, they just was manipulated by Scar cause they were hungry. Scar promised food and good life, so they followed him. Of course they done bad things, but the real evil is Scar.
Laika

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Laïka
Pride Points: 1

Postby HereWeStand » September 17th, 2015, 11:54 am

Looking after their own starving clan that is forced to live in a barren outskirt of the Pridelands isn't something I would consider 'evil' per say, that's just rational and pretty natural. They're not saints, but you can't blame them for wanting a better life. Scar simply manipulated them into being his henchmen easily because of this desperation.
HereWeStand
-

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby WhatDoWeHaveHere » November 16th, 2015, 1:13 am

Okay, so maybe the hyenas aren't evil considering they've been banned from the pride lands and are desperate for resources, mainly food, resulting in pretty low living standards. However, consider this, why were the hyenas banned in the first place?

My theory: Mufasa is a just and moral king, he wouldn't just ban hyenas out of his personal dislike for them, or because they are another species of carnivore threatening the lions, it's not like he's banned the cheetahs, leopards and crocodiles? My best guess is that the hyenas weren't following the circle of life like the other animals, and by that I mean weren't just killing for food. The hyenas where most likely killing for sport and just plainly for fun, hinted when they attack the meerkat colony in the lion king 1/3. Hence, they were banned from the pride lands and consequently went hungry and desperate, as seen at the beginning of the lion king. If this is the case, and I'm not saying it must be, then the hyenas truly are evil, as much as I love them. Except Ed of course, he is way too adorable ;)
WhatDoWeHaveHere

Pride Points: 0

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion King