Blender Nala project - Development

Blender Nala project - Development

Postby DGFone » May 15th, 2011, 7:03 am

Lionboy 1 asked me to do it, and I accepted!
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16217

I created this topic to post screenshots of my progress. I want to do this to show people what it's like, and to show myself how far I have come later on.

EDIT: I use a program called Blender 3D. What I am doing now barely scratches the surface of what the program can do (assuming you have the hardware). It's open-source (free). Here is the main website: http://www.blender.org/

As of today (May 14, 2011), I have completed day 1, and successfully taken my first step! After today, I have what can make for a nice Nala mask, but that's as far as it goes.

This is attempt 3 realistically, actual is maybe attempt number five. The biggest problem I have is there are no good Nala 3-view sheets of her in one pose, so I have to use one main picture (in this case a cropped screenshot) as a main reference, and others as guides at most. Here are 2 screenshots of day 1:
Screenshot-4.png
Nice Mask. Mardi Gras anyone?
Attachments
Screenshot-5.png
Fewer polygons than I thought. But I did create most of those individually, One By One (get the reference?), and I am weary of beating my low-end GPU. That has already happened in another project of mine, so I am in a "minimalist" mode when doing 3D stuff. And I'm a cheapo: my OS (Ubuntu GNU/Linux) is open source (free), and the program (Blender) is Open Source (free).
Last edited by DGFone on May 23rd, 2011, 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Re: Blender Nala project - Development

Postby Annie » May 15th, 2011, 10:16 am

Holy -
That's looking amazing!! I wish I could do 3D stuff! I took a college course for 3D animation, but I found it faaar too hard!

Anyways, here's a turnaround sheet for Nala's head, if it'll help ^^ http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_-YOK6-hJ5kY/T ... Nala04.jpg
R.I.P Annie, Holly, Spike, Louie, Mel, Robbie, Mr.H, Molly, Archie, Blobby and Dancer <3
Annie
Hyena

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Rawr

Pride Points: 29

Postby DGFone » May 15th, 2011, 6:30 pm

Nice! I might be able to use that, thanks a lot!
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Postby Jiirani » May 15th, 2011, 6:39 pm

Oh wow, good luck with this, it looks awesome so far :O

tumblr | TLK blog | art by shyre
Jiirani
Hopeless Wanderer

Restoring light to the lighthouse

Nickname(s): Eli, Jii, Lion
Pride Points: 62

Postby Panda-chan » May 15th, 2011, 9:58 pm

This is amazing! :O You're very talented.
D̵̢̨̧̛͔̖͍̝̤̫̼̝̬̤̪̟͇͙̊̏̎͛̇̏͊͌̃̂̈́͂̒̄̅̚̚͘͝R̸̥̙͂̀̾̑̊̀̉́̀́̐̄̊̿̈́̄͑̐̕͝I̴̗̯̼̳͉͕̺̤̖̝̪̫̊͛͝͠Ǹ̵̨̧͈̮̦̖̝͈̥̗͕̭͉̺̲͕̥͔͎̹͖͙͇̲̘̩̞͓̦̦̯̮̙̜̼̝͈̣̺̰̺̟̙̫̫ͅK̶̢̢̡̧̢̛̻͎̘͉̦͚̳̗̱̗̮̫̲͎̟͚͖̠̣̺͎̠̤͈̩̞͈͚̣̳̟̣̓͊͊̍̀̇͆́͐̔̔̅̿̅̋̈̈́̔̈̒̌̆̃̇͗̂̐̽́͊̋͗̚̕͘͜͜͠͝͝ ̴̧̧̢̧̧̢̛̦̗̦̭͔̝͎̘͍͚͈̰̦̲͍̥͚̱͓̦̙̞̱̜̹̍̉́̿̃͆̆̾̀̍̊͛̈́̽̈́̀̋̒̾͗͗͂̾̊̇̃̈́̋́̓̄̂̐͊͂̏̿̅͂̚͘̚͜͠͝͠ͅͅͅͅW̵̢̧̨̥͇̳̩͍̪̓̉͊̓̏͜͠Ã̵̧̨͍͚̭̱̦̯̣͓̱̫͑͋̋̾̎͑̽̔̒͆̉͒͑͆̎͑̑̒͋̑̀̒̿͑̄͋̒͆̑͆̔̈̈́͂͆̾̾̌̃̏̊̓͘͜͝͠͠T̸̨̧̛̮̙̰͇̹̭̥̙̝̱̼̥͖̟̃̔̑̒̓̈́͂̈́̂̓̂̎̋͊̌͋̂͂̃̂͝͠͠͝ͅĘ̴̧̡̢̧̡̠͉͉͕̤̳̘̖̙̭͙͕̻͍̖̗͙̯͈͔͋̄̾̄͛͌͌͒͛̇̎͋̉̈́̆̈́̍̎̆̒͑̒̅̋̊̄̈̿͒̈̋̾̊́̔̚͝͠͝͠ͅŖ̸̠̫͓̞͈̫̉̂
Panda-chan

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

STAY HYDRATED, FOLKS

Nickname(s): Weeb trash
Telegram: 6834232905344686445634231897968563522324236894284563523722616678
Pride Points: 108

Postby Daenerys » May 16th, 2011, 1:51 am

Can you give me the link to the Blender website?
Daenerys
♛ queen ♛

nightmare dressed like a daydream

Nickname(s): rena/dashie/whatever
Pride Points: 175

Postby DGFone » May 16th, 2011, 1:54 am

DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Postby Daenerys » May 16th, 2011, 1:59 am

Thank you! And VERY nice work so far. I can't wait to see the final result!
Daenerys
♛ queen ♛

nightmare dressed like a daydream

Nickname(s): rena/dashie/whatever
Pride Points: 175

Postby DGFone » May 16th, 2011, 7:45 am

Well, here are the results of day 2! Because this was started on a weekend, do not expect such fast paced work for another four days at least (my last class is on Thursdays). I might be able to do a bit here and there during the week, but most likely not enough to warrant screenshots and a post update.

For today, I was hoping to add the neck, but the ears gave me more trouble than I thought they would. In fact, I might even have to change them. They look quite fat.

Annie: Thanks for the turnaround sheet! It was great help in starting the ears. It's much harder to create things in 3D with only 2 viewpoints, but the different angles helped a lot!
Attachments
Screenshot-4.png
It looks like the ears have more polygons than the entire head! That's shocking. Still with the One By One polygon approach, but it works for me. Now all I need is a silver platter, and I can make Zira and a few hyenas happy. (*Runs away from all the Nala lovers) And again, Annie, thanks for the reference sheet! It's a great help!
Screenshot-5.png
It's starting to look ugly without texturing - the last step. But it looks like a lion head! And the ears are too fat...
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Postby TheLionQueen » May 17th, 2011, 9:22 am

What program on your computer do you use to do this? My program isn't as how do you say AWESOME as that. :lol:
TheLionQueen

Nickname(s): Rachel or TLQ
Pride Points: 33

Next

Return to Other Fan-Created Media