Lion King Goes 3D

Re: Lion King Goes 3D

Postby TheLionPrince » December 29th, 2011, 12:45 am

[quote="WildSimba"]Not if you just get the normal blu ray. :P[/quote]

You're right. I was thinking about Blu-Ray 3D, even though SimbaGamer mentioned just Blu-Ray. I misread. Sorry! :innocent:
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Noah » December 31st, 2011, 10:15 pm

Did anyone else see The Lion King in both 2D and 3D? I want to know if anyone else holds my same viewpoints
My Viewpoint: show
The 3D did not add anything significant.:cry:
Siggy by Me

accolades: show

birthday siggy by regulus: show
Noah

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Only the lonely can play

Nickname(s): Nahaai

Postby FlipMode » January 1st, 2012, 9:54 am

^ I did.
IMO and I am not just saying this because I got an over priced 3DTV but the 3D is ten times better on a home active 3DTV than the passive tech used in cinemas. I think a lot of people expected 3D to mean "OMG things jumping out of the screen!" which is simply not the case any more. The third dimension don't forget is depth, meaning that you can see how far away things are and on that note the 3D is great in the 3D Blu Ray, you would think the film was made with 3D in mind.

Very rarely do films "pop out" of the screen any more, sure they could have done that, Pirates 4 does it quite a lot but that was mostly back when 3D was new and now it just looks quite gimmicky and it is much mores surprising when it happens on the odd occasion rather than all the time. But what 3D does add is depth to the image, its like watching the film through a window instead of a TV.

I cant really explain in written words how this works, so I will just say go play any video game (other than KillZone 3 which looks flat as a pancake in 3D) and turn on the 3D mode (take your PS3 to a store and they usually let you hook it up to try it out) and you will be much more sold on 3D than you would by any film. Reason being of course they already rely on depth for immersion in the first place, as a result 3D benefits them a lot more than it will most films.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Woeler » January 1st, 2012, 12:33 pm

^may I ask you why you chose to buy an active 3dtv? The glasses are really expensive and my passive 3dtv came with 8 glasses.

Anyway i think the 3d did not add anything significant, but it was fun to watch it in 3d. I prefer to watch the 3d bluray over the normal bluray.
Spoiler: show
There are some moments when things pop out of the screen. Like Zazu flying at beginning and Scar jumping in the end.
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Pride Points: 120

Postby FlipMode » January 1st, 2012, 6:28 pm

[quote="Woeler1"]^may I ask you why you chose to buy an active 3dtv? The glasses are really expensive and my passive 3dtv came with 8 glasses.

Anyway i think the 3d did not add anything significant, but it was fun to watch it in 3d. I prefer to watch the 3d bluray over the normal bluray.
Spoiler: show
There are some moments when things pop out of the screen. Like Zazu flying at beginning and Scar jumping in the end.
[/quote]

Short answer - Active is technically better and produces a better quality image, therefore it is the one I went with.

Long answer - Also it came down to a choice between two TVs, a passive set from LG or an active one from Panny, and even without the 3D I still would have chosen the one I did its not just better with 3D images, its the better TV period. The fact that not a single bit of the image quality is lost in 3D, unlike passive sets is just the icing on the cake.

I mean really, let us be honest for a second here - 90% of the stuff we view on a 3DTV will not even be in 3D anyway and the 2D picture is soooooo much better than the passive set I looked at, then there is the additional stuff it does like internet connectivity, recording to a hard drive, more inputs, 2D to 3D conversion, built in virtual surround sound etc. Passive sets generally do not have such gubins, as to keep the costs low. But if one is going to spend so much money on a 3DTV to begin with, you might as well pay extra and get the better experience, no?
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Noah » January 1st, 2012, 7:08 pm

^Oh, Sorry Guys. I was actually talking about seeing Lion King in the movie theaters, not at your home. You see, my theater had both and I went twice (once to 2D and once to 3D). Guess I should have made that more clear. :innocent: Let me try this one more time: Did anyone see both and notice a difference?
Siggy by Me

accolades: show

birthday siggy by regulus: show
Noah

Only the lonely can play

Nickname(s): Nahaai

Postby Woeler » January 3rd, 2012, 12:30 pm

[quote="Noahcs"]^Oh, Sorry Guys. I was actually talking about seeing Lion King in the movie theaters, not at your home. You see, my theater had both and I went twice (once to 2D and once to 3D). Guess I should have made that more clear. :innocent: Let me try this one more time: Did anyone see both and notice a difference?[/quote]
They did not even show a 2D version here :x
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Pride Points: 120

Previous

Return to News & Announcements