Rulechanges MoTM

Re: Rulechanges MoTM

Postby Woeler » February 4th, 2013, 7:30 am

This contest is and has always been about contributions to the forum. It has completely derailed and that is why these rules are going to be applied.
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 120

Postby FlipMode » February 4th, 2013, 7:56 am

Not really. It was like that back before you joined as WS said when we had awards for RP, graphics designers, fan fiction etc.
it was changed to MotM to make it more open and give people who are just awesome a chance to be nominated, it made nominations less restricting and this makes them restricting again. I mean you know I can't nominate you now because I consider us to be friends lol.

I probably don't really expect someone who is so openly narcissistic to understand the point I am trying to make here to be honest.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby InsaneSeagull » February 4th, 2013, 9:30 am

I must say I agree to FlipMode.

Even though, MoTM needed change, I don't think it was the best way to do so. When I give reasons to nominate members, I usually do so because I consider those reasons proper. And I think "friendly" and "good friend" are very good reasons. I mean, it's forum and good people make good forum. It's simple.

And it's not like I (or anyone here) nominate only my friends. Even so, when we say "good friend", we usually mean friendly person in general, which is objective.
InsaneSeagull
Asante sana!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Squash banana!

Nickname(s): Kiki, Sponge Bob
Pride Points: 105

Postby AdAstrα » February 4th, 2013, 11:07 am

The problem is that this has become (or has, perhaps, always been to some extent) a popularity contest, so I understand why these changes are needed.

Of course being friendly/a good friend are good, if not essential, qualities for someone to have on a forum like this one, so I definitely see where you guys are coming from as well.
I'm never going back
The past is in the past
AdAstrα

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Fabulous Frog
Pride Points: 117

Postby FlipMode » February 4th, 2013, 5:08 pm

[quote="AdAstra"]The problem is that this has become (or has, perhaps, always been to some extent) a popularity contest, so I understand why these changes are needed.[/quote]

I don't think so. Almost every winner thread gets "You totally deserved it" kind of replies. Anyone who has won it deserved to win it, that's why we have nominations and voting.
Saying it is a popularity contest implies past winners didn't win fairly which, well is a bit harsh to say the least.

And one more thing, this is from the October 2012 nominating thread...

[quote]- You can now nominate up to 5 people
- Only members that have been on the forum actively for 3 months can be nominated
- Reasons MUST be given and be a good reason (Don't just nominate your friends)[/quote]

We already had this rule anyway so it was literally pointless in making this thread, in the announcements section no less. You announced a thing we already had?
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby AdAstrα » February 4th, 2013, 5:36 pm

I'm not saying that everyone who has won didn't deserve it, what I mean is that there are other members who also contribute and don't get any real recognition for it, which I think is a little bit wrong. This hasn't always been the case every single month, but I've seen it happen several times and it always bugs me because I don't think it should work that way. People should vote based on what they feel the person in question has actually contributed to the forum, and not necessarily on how well they know him/her. If that makes any sense at all.
I'm never going back
The past is in the past
AdAstrα

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Fabulous Frog
Pride Points: 117

Postby ScarsLove » February 4th, 2013, 5:38 pm

[quote="AdAstra"]I'm not saying that everyone who has won didn't deserve it, what I mean is that there are other members who also contribute and don't get any real recognition for it, which I think is a little bit wrong. This hasn't always been the case every single month, but I've seen it happen several times and it always bugs me because I don't think it should work that way. People should vote based on what they feel the person in question has actually contributed to the forum, and not necessarily on how well they know him/her. If that makes any sense at all.[/quote]

This.

Image Image Image Image

Spoiler: show
ScarsLove

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

"All's well that's well for me"

Nickname(s): Wolfy, Nikki
Pride Points: 70

Postby DGFone » February 4th, 2013, 5:39 pm

What I feel the contest came down to was not how well a member contributed to the forum, but as you guys said: a popularity contest. Or: Who is not bogged down by homework and other stuff enough to get on Skpye/MSN/ect. everyday and talk to a lot of people.

This contest shouldn't be about who has the most free time to socialize with everyone as much as who used the most out of what time they do have to make the forum better.
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Woeler » February 4th, 2013, 5:57 pm

[quote="DGFone"]What I feel the contest came down to was not how well a member contributed to the forum, but as you guys said: a popularity contest. Or: Who is not bogged down by homework and other stuff enough to get on Skpye/MSN/ect. everyday and talk to a lot of people.

This contest shouldn't be about who has the most free time to socialize with everyone as much as who used the most out of what time they do have to make the forum better.[/quote]
Yep, couldn't have said it in a better way.
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Pride Points: 120

Postby ScarsLove » February 4th, 2013, 6:10 pm

I know I already posted before but I think I might as well make a post stating my opinion in more depth. While members are what makes the community, I don't think we should just name someone MotM because they're a good friend. I sort of agree with Flip that that can also make them a good, friendly person. But every member I've come across on this forum has been a nice, friendly person so far. I haven't spoken to someone that I couldn't stand on this forum yet. So if we're basing the future MotM off of traits like 'friendliness and likeability' then don't you think everyone on here should have a chance at it instead of the select few that get voted in every month.

It just seems to me that the MotM should be determined by more than just being a nice person. I've nominated people before that have honestly helped me out with their advice. I will admit I did throw in there that they were indeed a good friend. But I gave more of a reason than just that. I gave mentions that they're supportive and willing to help others in need of advice. That's a good thing to help contribute in my opinion. Alot of the mentions I've seen all appear to be 'well so and so and I had a few good laughs and conversations. I'll nominate them because they're my buddy and I think they're nice.' That's fine and dandy but have they actually contributed anything to the forums besides being nice? Members make the forums but it's contributions that count not

[quote="DGFone"]who has the most free time to socialize with everyone[/quote]

as DGFone said. It's nothing but a popularity contest.

Image Image Image Image

Spoiler: show
ScarsLove

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

"All's well that's well for me"

Nickname(s): Wolfy, Nikki
Pride Points: 70

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements