Groups!

Re: Groups!

Postby Azdgari » January 15th, 2012, 6:25 am

I mean, do I really need to have someone else to decide I'm a good enough writer to join a group for it?
Guess the Member with Kitva Hyperlink: show
"Hates me
Nothing but facts
Male"

"...Woeler?"

"ya"
Azdgari
big, wide turns

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 114

Postby WildSimba » January 15th, 2012, 6:35 am

[quote="Azdgari"]I mean, do I really need to have someone else to decide I'm a good enough writer to join a group for it?[/quote]

^ this
"There are you, you drive like a demon from station to station," - David Bowie
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Ain't it Funny how it happens

Nickname(s): WS, David
Telegram: Ask me through PM
Pride Points: 122

Postby Tabby » January 15th, 2012, 6:40 am

[quote="Azdgari"]I mean, do I really need to have someone else to decide I'm a good enough writer to join a group for it?[/quote]

I think the real point of this is to end with those who just join in a group because of the colour, or just to make them join the gropups of the thing they do better, I mean, it loses the point of I go and get a pink name because of the colour and never contribute to the wiki... things like that, right?

Victory, at last!
Tabby
Back from the ashes

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Deess, LxL, Jose, Bean, Burrito
Pride Points: 103

Postby Arani » January 15th, 2012, 6:44 am

^ What AZ said.

Seriously, if the "Leaders" are deciding who joins a group and who doesn't, then if someone doesn't get into the group they wanted they'll feel left out or whatever. That's a great way to start arguments if you ask me. I like the idea in general, but I'd rather the groups just be open for anyone, but you can only be in one group at a time. :) Also, if the leaders can decide to kick someone, they can kick people because they didn't like them or something. I think that only the Moderators should kick people from groups, and they better have a very good reason for it too. Maybe the mods should run the groups the whole time instead of electing group leaders from everyone on the board?
Arani

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 56

Postby Moka » January 15th, 2012, 7:20 am

Group leaders would only kick someone out if they weren't active in the activity of their group. Leaders can't just deny someone because they think they are bad at writing. In fact, the point of the groups is for people who want improvement to join and have a community and a domain expert (the group leader) to go to for questions in that group's activity.

We don't want moderators running the group because many members are more talented in certain activities than our moderators. They would be way better suited to help members progress their skills in that group's activity.

Any elected member would certainly take leadership seriously. Gotta have a little confidence in your fellow members.
Moka
:D

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 138

Postby DGFone » January 15th, 2012, 7:28 am

^ I have to say that I am starting to doubt the whole "group" idea.

This is primarily due to the MLK gaming clan group starting, and is actually proving to be more painful than is worth it. You must be invited into the group, it's run by others, has a ridiculous structure, and all that just so that MLK member can play video games with each other?

As of now, I like the older system better where you can join whichever group you want (like RP or fan-fic writer) with the only closed groups really being the moderators. This makes sense. The video games group... not so much.

If the video games group is a show-case, then I have to say that I would like to see groups not being implemented into MLK.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG

Postby Moka » January 15th, 2012, 7:38 am

?

The gaming group is separate from the ones being discussed in this topic. I doubt the gaming group will have an elected group as it is structured differently.
Moka

Postby DGFone » January 15th, 2012, 7:43 am

[quote="Moka"]?

The gaming group is separate from the ones being discussed in this topic. I doubt the gaming group will have an elected group as it is structured differently.[/quote]

Then why is it called the MLK Gaming Group? But I still want to point out what I said in my previous post. What's with all that organizational bureaucracy just to play games together? Can't we simply have a topic to post our gaming info on? You know, like we did? viewtopic.php?f=158&t=12866
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Postby Moka » January 15th, 2012, 7:57 am

These are the groups this topic is concerned with: Fan Artists, Fanfic Writers, Graphic Designers, Role Players, Wiki Editors.

The gaming group was made for active gamers to play together as a sort of clan. We already have members who are interested. If you're gonna play with more than 4 members at a time you're gonna need the organizational bureaucracy to schedule dates and times that work for members.

If you're more of a casual gamer, then that topic works fine for you.
Moka

Postby DGFone » January 15th, 2012, 8:12 am

Ah, I get it now. But I have to say this then: the whole point of the groups is to get members more active in them. So say you are in the RP group, it's to make creating new RPs easier, and even to just talk about the RP process. But what's so different then now, where you simply create such a topic in the appropriate subsection? is it to somehow get more advertisement for members who don't go to other sections? (Seems more counter-productive to me then).
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements