Nightly Backups

Nightly Backups

Postby Moka » December 23rd, 2010, 3:53 am

Hello everyone :D Long time, no announcement. Well, sort of.

I have found a way for MLK to automatically back itself up every day at midnight. This will ensure that backups are done more frequently and systematically! The reason I am announcing this is that MLK will appear offline during the backup, which should only last about 2 minutes. It goes offline because in case someone were to make a post during the backup, the database tables would get corrupted.

To find out exactly when the backups will occur for your timezone, simply click this link: http://www.thetimezoneconverter.com/?t= ... 0Francisco
Moka
:D

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 138

Re: Nightly Backups

Postby Ushujaa » December 23rd, 2010, 3:57 am

sounds like a good idea. Looking forward to future updates in the new year ;)

and good thing it's around midnight because that's like 3 am in NY i'm usually in bed by then XD so it won't effect my rping

just one question when will this backing itself up start?
Spoiler: show

thank you Flip for the community sig
Ushujaa
Dreamer

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Don't heroes have the right to dream?

Nickname(s): Shujaa, Fluffy, Squishy, Kopa, Usher,Krypto
Pride Points: 24

Postby Moka » December 23rd, 2010, 3:58 am

Actually it has been running for 2 days now. I just had to make sure everything was working properly ^^ ...which involved me staying up until 2am for the past two nights. No biggie :P
Moka

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Ushujaa » December 23rd, 2010, 4:00 am

is that why i was getting 505 errors... :O :? :O

well thanks for pulling all nighters for us!

thank you Flip for the community sig
Ushujaa
Dreamer

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Don't heroes have the right to dream?

Nickname(s): Shujaa, Fluffy, Squishy, Kopa, Usher,Krypto
Pride Points: 24

Postby supersimba » December 23rd, 2010, 4:02 am

Sounds smart ;) is it a part of phpBB or is it a program on the server?
Feel free to annoy me on facebook~
Supersimba @ Facebook
supersimba

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Jamie
Pride Points: 0

Postby Mike » December 23rd, 2010, 4:33 am

Yer a champ ^.^
I host MLK Fan Artist of the Week in the Fan Art section
For three years I had roses, and apologized to no one.
Thanks to Jaynr for the avatar
Thanks to Simba for the TLK signature
Mike

King of Pride Rock

Nickname(s): Michael Freeman, Mikeyboy69, Sid

Postby Zeke » December 23rd, 2010, 4:48 am

I remember this...and you LIED TO ME and said it would only take 30 seconds so I thought the site blew up but it didn't :P Awesome job on this Moka^^
"When the power of love overcomes the love of
power, the world will know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix
Zeke
Deeq

Pride Points: 18

Postby kumarileopard » December 23rd, 2010, 5:18 am

The time it takes to make the snapshot probably depends on the database size. Though 2 minutes is pretty quick given the amount of data there is (I'm assuming it's a lot of data).

Anyway...glad it's running and works!
"Hello, IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again?" - Roy in every episode of "The IT Crowd"
kumarileopard

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

Nickname(s): Kumari, Rob
Pride Points: 1

Postby Pixie » December 23rd, 2010, 5:37 am

Cool, one question though, when will this happen to people in Australia? Will it be at night still?
LxL graphics
Pixie
Photographer

Not afraid to speak my mind. Seriously.

Nickname(s): Pixie, etc.
Pride Points: 10

Postby Moka » December 23rd, 2010, 7:40 am

[quote="supersimba"]Sounds smart ;) is it a part of phpBB or is it a program on the server?[/quote]

It's a cronjob that I registered on the server.

[quote="kumarileopard"]The time it takes to make the snapshot probably depends on the database size. Though 2 minutes is pretty quick given the amount of data there is (I'm assuming it's a lot of data).

Anyway...glad it's running and works![/quote]

2 minutes to read all the data in the database and then I actually have it gzipped as well. The resulting file is about 87 megabytes. Uncompressed, the file was reaching 400 megabytes.

[quote="Pixielicious"]Cool, one question though, when will this happen to people in Australia? Will it be at night still?[/quote]

Well, Australia has three timezones, but I can tell you that it will happen at either 5:00pm, 6:00pm, or 7:00pm...I think..

I dunno, click the link on the first post and it should tell you automatically based on local time ^^
Moka

Next

Return to News & Announcements