a remake sequel is announced

Re: a remake sequel is announced

Postby Panpardus » February 25th, 2021, 2:12 am

https://thedisinsider.com/2021/02/24/the-lion-king-sequel-to-begin-production-this-summer/?fbclid=IwAR2b3qyYUacCGpQcSLROOjFqZj6VASLZ413VnOlCc1cArcJEFxRn0Vksu2I

Not "official" news, but full production is purportedly set to start this summer and a casting call has been put out for both a young Mufasa and Scar, age range 8-13 years old.

Granted, the source is The DisInsider, which purported the "Scar was at one point a white lion" story that held no water, but it makes sense timeline-wise. Are Lion King movies always gonna more or less skip the teenage stage for their characters? We just barely got Kion's in The Lion Guard season 3, but even then he was living outside the Pride Lands on his own special mission.
Panpardus

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 51

Postby Elton John » February 25th, 2021, 3:51 am

i'm guessing they will be voicing cub versions of mufasa and scar assuming this info is correct.

this doesn't mean they will skip teen mufasa / scar but who knows....

We don't have a plot synopsis for the movie beyond vague details and comparisons to the godfather 2.

it'll probably be a while before we get a full cast announcement.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby SimbasGuard » February 25th, 2021, 6:45 am

Well The details We had prior to this article did say that They were exploring The Origins of Mufasa, so showing Scar and He as cubs would make sense. "If" this article is correct in anyway We may get more details in September.
Last edited by SimbasGuard on March 31st, 2021, 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby Timon the great » March 30th, 2021, 10:20 am

[quote="Elton John"]i think there is a lot to discuss about tlk 2019 even if you didn't like it personally. the virtual cinematography, the technical aspects - how they made everything look so real and yet it isn't outside of the opening shot. how no real animals were used in the making of the movie. etc.[/quote]

But.., that's really the Only thing going for the remake. The technical stuff, as you mentioned. Any maybe the voice acting. But the character visuals themselves blatantly lack so much imagination. Even worse in considering that this is a full CGI film, the emotion is also lacking in all of their expressions because I've already seen enough of that. There's just no room for doubt on this.

[quote]"but people, especially youtubers and forum goers, are stubborn gits. i have seen people with such vitriolic hatred of this movie that they refuse to mention anything it did right."[/quote]

Not really. That's actually pretty biased (not surprised) considering that I myself have seen some of those YT reviewers actually state fact about those movies. You should actually take some time and watch some of their reviews like I did. They're really not as much in the wrong as you might like to think. Even the ones who didn't seem to hate it still point out the same facts like this guy: https://youtu.be/1RBOukJzI1Q

[quote]"as for the fanart thing. people in general like the old style more. and its very likely easier to draw (not that i know, i'm not an artist)."[/quote]

Because the original 2D character styles are like, 100x more creatively appealing all around with literally almost no room for doubt here. And no, it's not because it's "easier to draw", because I remember there was actually a good amount of fan art based on the remake that I saw out there around the time it came out.

The mechanics of drawing are basically the same. The only real difference here is the shading/lighting/effects elements that are used to give the realism feel.
"I found a place that was beyond my wildest dreams. But..., it still wasn't home." - Timon; Lion King 1 1/2 (3)

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Timon L. Berkowitz

Pride Points: 29

Postby SimbasGuard » March 31st, 2021, 9:07 am

I think doing anything too different when They remade The Lion King would have been a very bad idea. With this Follow-Up (as has been stated by others in this thread) They will not be hampered by the original depending on what New ground They are treading. I wonder if They will dare try to make the characters more expressive to emote more. That seems to be what The Remake took the most flack for.

I also hope They are more bold with this movie. I don't want to sound weird, but The original Lion King wanted to be a PG movie and pushed the envelope as far as a G movie could go. Where as The PG Remake tried to pull back the reigns storytelling-wise and took less bold steps than The G rated original. It's like They were driving with Their foot on The break. I'm not saying that I want a cruse word or more innuendo in the follow-Up. I just don't want to feel as it The story is holding itself back from all it could be.
Am I making sense to anyone?

SimbasGuard

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Panpardus » May 13th, 2021, 9:37 pm

It makes sense. I've stated before that I think they didn't do enough with the story and that's a big aspect of where the film lost a lot of people, because then you're comparing scene to scene, line to line, and drawing more attention to how flat it looked compared to the cartoon. Marvel films (to use an example) typically haven't been the most visually impressive (especially in the Phase 2-early Phase 3 stage) but the story of those films overshadowed the visual shortcomings. The arc with Scar and Sarabi was the only bold thing I think the story of 2019 did and that was a solid addition that I wish they did more with.

On that note, there's some new purported character names that Disney's looking to cast right now: Adah, Horatio, Elijah, Celia, Kaliban, Cardi, and Zola. No word on any of them beyond that, so their species, relationships to known characters, ages, etc., are all blanks right now. I could go looking for clues in the character names but I'm going to let it be for now.
https://insidethemagic.net/2021/05/lion-king-sequel-casting-th1/?utm_content=buffer5f347&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer&fbclid=IwAR3frK2ayjHcs1gYeKzsRe7kVbsoCkBjANNtvihuqh3WjLNyaSOFTuJPl8s
Panpardus

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 51

Postby Elton John » May 14th, 2021, 3:19 am

Daniel Richtman is a generally reliable source.

Barry Jenkins has another thing he directed being released, tomorrow in fact!

Underground Railroad. I plan to at least start it this weekend, its 10 hours long I hear.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby SimbasGuard » May 15th, 2021, 7:38 am

Those new character names could be anyone, Perhaps We My get canon names for Mufasa and Scar's Parents. One of them could be Nala's Father. We could even see how Sarabi and Sarafina joined The Pride Rock Pride.
There is also the fact that every story needs a villain.
Or some of these characters could be foreign dignitaries that Simba is trying to establish diplomatic relationships with.
There is so much potential with this story.

SimbasGuard

Postby Elton John » July 2nd, 2021, 7:50 pm

[url]https://www.goldderby.com/feature/joi-mcmillon-the-underground-railroad-editor-amazon-video-interview-1204301283/[/url]

In this interview about the underground railroad we get another incredibly vague tidbit about the new movie.

"Its a journey of self discovery".

You mean like a lot of Disney movies.

But seriously its nice that Barry is working with multiple people he has worked before, at least.
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby Stormy » July 3rd, 2021, 2:36 am

[quote="Elton John"]In this interview about the underground railroad we get another incredibly vague tidbit about the new movie.
"Its a journey of self discovery".
You mean like a lot of Disney movies.
But seriously its nice that Barry is working with multiple people he has worked before, at least.[/quote]

took me a second to figure out if they were talking about the actual movie or the person lol
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 700 character limit.
View more smilies BBCode is ON [img] is ON [flash] is OFF [url] is ON Smilies are ON
Stormy
Custom Title:

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Custom Text:

Pride Points: 14

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion King (2019)