a remake sequel is announced

Re: a remake sequel is announced

Postby Elton John » September 29th, 2020, 8:58 pm

it says "partly"

which could mean it is a mix of sequel and prequel.

i hope they get denzel washington or his son to voice a young mufasa

i hate to say it but james earl jones doesn't have it in him anymore. he will be over 90 when voicework likely starts.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Stormy » September 29th, 2020, 9:05 pm

yeah I don’t think they will focus a whole theatrical movie on it. i don’t think people would want an entire movie on it. they know that. I probably wouldn’t either.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 700 character limit.
View more smilies BBCode is ON [img] is ON [flash] is OFF [url] is ON Smilies are ON
Stormy
Custom Title:

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Custom Text:

Pride Points: 14

Postby Panpardus » September 30th, 2020, 8:32 am

Saw the news and audibly said "Huh!?"

So, I guess there'll be more new [i]Lion King[/i] content in the foreseeable future after all. I figured it was inevitable, but still, good call on those who actually made that call. I'm actually quite excited by the prospect of them writing an original story this time around, and the change in director to Barry Jenkins -- he co-wrote and directed [i]Moonlight[/i], as well as an adaptation of James Baldwin's [i]If Beale Street Could Talk[/i], plus he has a whole slate of upcoming projects about African culture in his production pipeline -- has me even more intrigued.

I hope they take some of the criticisms from the first film and apply them here. If they're not going to make the faces more expressive, then at least have the sense to not do long close-ups on emotionally charged moments for emotions that the animals clearly can't pull off satisfactorily.

To clear up the prequel vs sequel talk as much as I can, the sources are saying it'll be a follow-up film similar to [i]The Godfather Part II[/i]. I haven't actually properly watched that movie, but from my understanding the movie jumps back and forth in time to tell two parallel stories with related themes; the main story focuses on the present day of the chronology and moves that story forward from the first film, while the other story focuses on the older generation of characters and the events that led them to what happens in [i]The Godfather[/i], so it's basically like getting a prequel and a sequel in the same movie. So we'll presumably be jumping back and forth between Simba's ongoing story and Mufasa's backstory. The Mufasa portion is probably pretty easy to figure out in terms of the things it'll cover (the animus with Scar and the love triangle between the brothers and Sarabi) but I can't think of what they'll actually do with Simba's story. Good thing it's not my job to write.

Ooh, this definitely means a whole new slate of music too; between the film score, the soundtrack, and the traditional whole extra album of music "inspired by the movie", we're hopefully in for a ton of great stuff there. Let's hope they get some Kenyan artists this time!
Panpardus

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 51

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » September 30th, 2020, 4:19 pm

I'm liking the possibilities in the narrative and the new music that will come along with it. More to do and see. Also, Barry Jenkins is one of my fave directors. Beyond happy with the news. Glad the voice cast stays the same from the first live action one.
The Lion King III: Hidden Kingdom
Now available to read!
https://m.fanfiction.net/s/14288564/1/The-Lion-King-3-Hidden-Kingdom
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Let's get going!

Nickname(s): Jules
Pride Points: 13

Postby Stormy » October 1st, 2020, 3:56 am

https://twitter.com/barryjenkins/status/1311060962254843904?s=21

Continuing to push the “not a remake nor a sequel.”

I’m becoming excited for this honestly. This can go in so many directions, it’ll be nice to get something new out of this. Seeing how determined they seem to be about having this movie not be anything we’ve seen for this franchise before, I wonder, just wonder if we can reach PG13. normally I would say no way in hell, but seeing how Mulan managed to bump up there, we now know it’s not impossible for these remakes to get up there to that rating.

but I doubt disney would want a PG13 Lion King movie. especially if they want to make parents take kids. idk. idk. idk.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 700 character limit.
View more smilies BBCode is ON [img] is ON [flash] is OFF [url] is ON Smilies are ON
Stormy
Custom Title:

Custom Text:

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » October 1st, 2020, 11:36 am

Definitely thrilled about the project, yes, and of course I wouldn't mind it being PG13 though we're going to have to see if Disney would want to go there. The live action sequel for "101 Dalmatians" ("102 Dalmatians") is completely different than the animated one ("Patch's London Adventure") lol And both have their own unique quality, so I'm actually liking this new direction for TLK live action.
The Lion King III: Hidden Kingdom
Now available to read!
https://m.fanfiction.net/s/14288564/1/The-Lion-King-3-Hidden-Kingdom
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Let's get going!

Nickname(s): Jules
Pride Points: 13

Postby Elton John » October 1st, 2020, 12:40 pm

not a remake or a sequel but only partly based on mufasas past? what does that even mean?

if only part of it tells mufasas story, then what does the rest of it do?

if not a sequel then does none of it take place after the first?

and if not a remake...

my idea is this. the messaging is a bit confused but it is a reimagining of kiara and kovus story interwoven with the story of a young mufasa.

it isn't a 1:1 remake of simbas pride, and by sequel he might have meant it wasn't a straight sequel - that it would have elements of a prequel as well?

i kinda like my idea.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Loki_adores_Scar » October 2nd, 2020, 2:56 pm

Although I hoped to ever see a Lion King animation again too, since I wasn't quite feeling the Live action version.., I do like the idea of Mufasa's childhood. But then I hope we get to see a lot of Taka too!
Loki_adores_Scar

Pride Points: 1

Postby Stormy » October 2nd, 2020, 3:01 pm

i think scar would be equally as important in this film as mufasa tbh. sarabi maybe a little less, but she'll be there too i'm sure.
Stormy
Custom Title:

Custom Text:

Postby Iberian » October 3rd, 2020, 2:06 pm

I just don´t understand why they keep trying to feed us the CGI stuff, it´s unecessary and its even detrimental storywise.
I really like that they won´t be going to do a shot for shot remake. But I´m very skeptical about the new songs.
Remember that song from the 2019 remake "Spirit", that was a thing, yea.... :sad:
They have to get onboard, talented people, not political statements or marketing ploys...
Otherwise I´m really excited for this movie. :D
Iberian

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion King (2019)