Score Themes in the 2019 Version

Score Themes in the 2019 Version

Postby jcn2017 » August 22nd, 2019, 2:56 am

Does anyone remember the thread where we discussed the different themes in the score. Here's the link to it below.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=43240

One thing I noticed when it came to the 2019 version is that when it came to some scenes, the scoring theme heard was different compared to the original version. For instance, when Simba returned to Pride Rock and we see how horrible it became under Scar's ruling, we hear the death theme in the original version, but in the 2019 version, we get the sad theme. When it came to the death theme, we hear it one final time in the 2019 version at the very end when the rain puts out the fire following Scar's death. (I wonder if this was to represent Scar's death even though he was the villain.) Also, I believe the chase theme, in the 2019 version, is only heard during the final battle when the hyenas are chasing Zazu. There are several other examples, too. Did anyone else notice the changes in the score themes when it came to some scenes?
jcn2017

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 1

Re: Score Themes in the 2019 Version

Postby DGFone » August 22nd, 2019, 5:54 am

Just a quick reply for now, but I am digging this topic:

Something I noticed when I was watching the movie that rather threw me off was they use of the "Under the Stars" vocal bit right when Simba and Nala reunite with each other and recognize each other for the first time as adults.

Sure, it sounds nice and all, but I looked up the lyrics to the Rhythm of the Pride Lands song Lala enough times that even if I didn't remember the exact translation at the time, I know the general gist of what they are supposed to be. Remember that this is the translation for what they decided to put over a very happy scene:

[quote]We sangoma ngi velelwe [Oh, spiritual healer, I'm troubled]
We baba ngivelelwe [Oh, my father, I'm in pain]
We baba ngivelelwe [Oh, my father, I'm in pain][/quote]
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Captain Cupcake » August 22nd, 2019, 8:44 am

There's a fair bit of switching around of some motifs for certain pieces. Zimmer seems to really double down on the Death leitmotif. Apart from the above mention usage, it's also incorporated into "Simba is Alive!" in place of what were originally soft renditions of the Simba, Mufasa and friendship themes. Gotta hammer in that guilt. :P

"Battle for Pride Rock" is the kind of reworking I adore, as it's not necessarily better, but it isn't exactly worse either. It's the right kind of remake, where it's revamped significantly enough that it can stand side-to-side with the original piece. The additional Stampede references for the big revelation, the triumphant arrangement of Simba's theme midway, and that totally unexpected dramatic rendition of the sad theme accompanied by drums makes it a real treat.
Captain Cupcake
Hnnng...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

HNNNGGGG!!!

Nickname(s): Master
Pride Points: 11

Postby jcn2017 » August 23rd, 2019, 3:02 am

[quote="Captain Cupcake"]There's a fair bit of switching around of some motifs for certain pieces. Zimmer seems to really double down on the Death leitmotif. Apart from the above mention usage, it's also incorporated into "Simba is Alive!" in place of what were originally soft renditions of the Simba, Mufasa and friendship themes. Gotta hammer in that guilt. :P [/quote]

You are right that the death theme is also heard during the scene where Simba is under the stars with Timon and Pumbaa in the newer version. I am disappointed that the death theme wasn't played when we see how bad Pride Rock became because in the original version, it was especially chilling when the triumphant Busa theme segued into the death theme right when the scene changed from Simba happily running through the desert to him being back in pride rock and feeling shocked over how horrible it became. But hearing the death theme when the fire is put out by the rain after Scar's death somewhat makes up for it. The death theme makes me cry every time I hear it no matter when it's played in both versions of the movie.
jcn2017

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 1

Return to The Lion King (2019)