Original "Lion King" writers are losing out on the remake

Original "Lion King" writers are losing out on the remake

Postby Panpardus » January 12th, 2019, 1:06 am

Interesting bit of unfortunate news regarding the new film's production in relation to the original. Technically this also applies to a lot of Disney's new live-action remakes and their predecessors' storyboard artists and writers.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ke-1174451
Panpardus

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 51

Re: Original "Lion King" writers are losing out on the remak

Postby Elton John » January 12th, 2019, 2:39 am

If Disney plans on reusing most of the old script they should get credit.

If not....I mean, they should get at least a little credit for goodwill but....ehh....
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby DGFone » January 12th, 2019, 6:18 am

Honestly, they need to add some kind of "and the entire cast and crew of The Lion King, 1994" in the credits to be fair to everyone. It's not just the old writers who deserve credit for giving ideas that would eventually become the original movie, and then now, the ideas for the remake.

After all, if Elton John, whose role was simply to compose a couple of pre-written songs and sing them, strong armed the entire production into keeping what then turned into the most popular song in the movie, what other small things came from an unlikely source?

Credit the entire team and be done with it, me thinks. Knowing Hollywood, people can get very antsy over perceived unequal credits treatment. "Hey, how come he gets credits and I don't!"
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby TheLionPrince » January 14th, 2019, 6:21 pm

I always had a feeling that the original film's screenwriters will be credited, but I'm disheartened to read that the story artists will be snubbed from credited. I did see beforehand that the Beauty and the Beast remake didn't credit the numerous story artists.

Story artists are some of the underappreciated storytellers in the film industry. They work long hours, draw and redraw their or their colleague's work, are held onto a long-term contract, but from what I know, they are fairly well compensated. It's actual work that I hope to do one day. So, it's sad when their work gets reused for a remake, they can't get a WGA credit like "based on an original story by". If I was in Jon Favreau's shoes, I would at least give them a complimentary "special thanks" credit.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby SimbasGuard » January 15th, 2019, 2:52 am

I don't understand the legal jargon, but along the lines of what TheLionPrince said. The could just do what Disney's Direct To Video sequels did and give acknowledgment to The original crew of The Original move at least. That won't get anyone any residuals, but at least it is a credit of some kind.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby gothprincesskiara » June 8th, 2019, 5:31 am

can someone delete this I messed up on my post in the wrong discussion
Want to RP with me? Want to join my Pride on Facebook? Click the Facebook Icon.
https://www.facebook.com/queengothkiara ... fekingdom/

Check out the TLK/TLG Merchandise Page on Facebook, like and follow, and tell other fans about it.
https://www.facebook.com/The-Lion-King- ... 165042753/

James Camerons AVATAR FANS PLEASE like my Avatar page if you want to RP on the planet of Pandora, im trying get to more like to grow my page, please help me.
https://www.facebook.com/Amiryat-from-A ... 805499620/
gothprincesskiara
I live by the Circle of Life

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

We are all connected in the great Circle of Life

Nickname(s): Kiara
Pride Points: 93

Return to The Lion King (2019)