what are your expectations (to make you happy) with this rem

Re: what are your expectations (to make you happy) with this

Postby Elton John » January 19th, 2019, 11:58 pm

disney isn’t against making sequels to their live stuff, alice got one, maleficent and the jungle book are getting one as well.

The real question is....if tlk remake gets a sequel will it follow the same story as simbas pride?
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Aelwen » January 20th, 2019, 2:55 am

[quote]The real question is....if tlk remake gets a sequel will it follow the same story as simbas pride?[/quote]
To be honest, SP's plot is a bit blank and too cliche. I hope (IF it gets asequel) they will keep all the main characters but give it a bit more drama and more fleshed-out characters.

Or they can make completely different sequel but then we'll get a question of which is more canon?
Aelwen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 1

Postby Panpardus » January 20th, 2019, 4:52 pm

If a sequel was made to this film, it would be canon to its own story. The "live action" and cartoon movies are two different versions of the same story, but one doesn't really affect the other. Think of it as a parallel universe of sorts.

Simba's Pride is generally regarded as one of the better sequels that Disney's made to their animated properties, so if they were to make a sequel to this Lion King I don't think they'd shy away from at least certain elements of that story. I figure they'd at least beef up the script; give it the same treatment that the stage musical's story did relative to the original film. (I've read some fanfiction that does a pretty good job of this, particularly this one called The Pride That Never Was: http://akril15.com/Literature/tptnw/TPTNW.html) Of course, I'd have no problem if they drafted a wholly original story that went in a completely different direction, so long as it's good.
Panpardus

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 51

Postby Azdgari » January 20th, 2019, 8:34 pm

[quote="Panpardus"]If a sequel was made to this film, it would be canon to its own story. The "live action" and cartoon movies are two different versions of the same story, but one doesn't really affect the other. Think of it as a parallel universe of sorts.

Simba's Pride is generally regarded as one of the better sequels that Disney's made to their animated properties, so if they were to make a sequel to this Lion King I don't think they'd shy away from at least certain elements of that story. I figure they'd at least beef up the script; give it the same treatment that the stage musical's story did relative to the original film. (I've read some fanfiction that does a pretty good job of this, particularly this one called The Pride That Never Was: http://akril15.com/Literature/tptnw/TPTNW.html) Of course, I'd have no problem if they drafted a wholly original story that went in a completely different direction, so long as it's good.[/quote]
Being the best of Disney's animated sequels isn't exactly a ringing endorsement... SP was still critically panned as a tepid effort, and even though I love it, I don't think it's a particularly good movie.

Kudos for citing Akril's fic, though. That one stands pretty tall in TLK fan fiction canon, and Disney would be smart to draw on that sort of material in some capacity, even if just for inspiration.
Guess the Member with Kitva Hyperlink: show
"Hates me
Nothing but facts
Male"

"...Woeler?"

"ya"
Azdgari
big, wide turns

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 114

Postby Aelwen » January 21st, 2019, 12:34 am

[quote]The Pride That Never Was: http://akril15.com/Literature/tptnw/TPTNW.html) Of course, I'd have no problem if they drafted a wholly original story that went in a completely different direction, so long as it's good.[/quote]

I didn't like the fact that the author stripped Kiara/Shani of her title. It's almost as every Kopa/Chaka/Kion fan considers lionesses be unworthy of ruling. It has always bothered me.

Remember that Henry 8 wanted a son to be a ruler after him.. but hus daughter turned out to be one of the best monarchs of England. Ruling is not about gender. Kiara can be just as good a queen as any of her hypothetical brothers.
Last edited by Aelwen on January 21st, 2019, 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aelwen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Elton John » January 21st, 2019, 1:28 am

i like kion but still think kiara would be a better leader
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Panpardus » January 21st, 2019, 7:54 am

[quote="Azdgari"]
Being the best of Disney's animated sequels isn't exactly a ringing endorsement... SP was still critically panned as a tepid effort, and even though I love it, I don't think it's a particularly good movie.

Kudos for citing Akril's fic, though. That one stands pretty tall in TLK fan fiction canon, and Disney would be smart to draw on that sort of material in some capacity, even if just for inspiration.[/quote]

I actually never spent a lot of time looking at Lion King fanfic (it was mostly a high school/college bug I caught for about a year) and I think I only found maybe two or three projects that I actually liked enough to read through at least a decent portion of them, and of those Akril's is the only one that actually had an ending.

I guess my basic point top point is that enough people seem to at least know that the sequel exists and look upon at least elements of it fondly enough that they might be susceptible to Disney's nostalgia bug if/when they include some of those elements in a "live action" sequel. I'm not listing hard sequel bait as an expectation, but I definitely am keeping an eye open for it.
Panpardus

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 51

Postby Aelwen » January 21st, 2019, 5:41 pm

[quote="Elton John"]i like kion but still think kiara would be a better leader[/quote]
In TLG Kion seems like a better heir because we see him as a protagonist, interacting with other animals.
And in SP we saw Kiara as a teenager, probably sick of her over-protective father. Not the best comparison.
Aelwen

Postby SimbasGuard » January 31st, 2019, 8:56 am

[quote="Aelwen"]I doubt they will make a sequel to it. And for now Kiara is more "canonical" than Kion. Disney could have removed her at all for TLG but they kept her and Kovu and Zira so they accept the sequel canon.[/quote]

Not to get off track, but The Lion Guard was always meant to fit in with Lion King 2. Kion is indeed a recon but he was always mean to be just as canon as Kiara.

[quote="Aelwen"]I will be terribly surprised if in the end of the movie they will announce smth like "After some time the Pridelands became full of life again, and it was now time to welcome a new cub in the Circle of Life - Simba's and Nala's son Chaka".[/quote]

Good point, but they could make a sequel to this remake and not base it on Simba's Pride. Although I have no idea where they could go story-wise if using Simba's Pride is not what they want to do.

[quote="Aelwen"]Kion is actually fitsthe origianl idea for Sp It was supposed to be two cubs - him and Kiara (Shani).[/quote]

Ah yes I had forgotten that :thumbsup:

As for Simba's Pride being a above most Disney (Direct To Video) Sequels: one time last year (yes I know it was just 1 time, that I know of) When Free Form was doing one of their Disney Movie marathon weekends both Lion King and Simba's Pride were aired. I do not know of any other Disney Direct To Video Sequel that has gotten aired on any channel aside from Disney XD
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Previous

Return to The Lion King (2019)