It's official, there's gonna be a tlk remake.

Re: It's official, there's gonna be a tlk remake.

Postby Panpardus » June 20th, 2019, 5:15 pm

That's cute. It'd be cool if they used more old storyboards and other elements in this one.

Here's that Radio Disney event that was being advertised.
https://video.disney.com/watch/jd-mccra ... bd6b4f2a72
It's as I thought; live rendition of "I Just Can't Wait to be King" with JD McCrary and Shahadi Wright Joseph. No John Oliver, but it'd be kinda hard to see him dancing on stage anyway, plus his character has fewer lines in this new version of the song. (They presumably cut some of his stuff and added new lyrics presumably to give Nala more of a role in the song.)
Panpardus

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 51

Postby Elton John » June 24th, 2019, 3:23 pm

tickets are on sale, I got mine. July 18th 6pm :D
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby TheLionPrince » June 24th, 2019, 8:19 pm

[quote="Elton John"]tickets are on sale, I got mine. July 18th 6pm :D[/quote]

I bought mines for Friday, July 19.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby gothprincesskiara » June 26th, 2019, 4:24 am

[quote="Elton John"]tickets are on sale, I got mine. July 18th 6pm :D[/quote]

Same for the 18th but for 7pm! 3d IMAX, both 3 for me my best friend and her mom ;)
Want to RP with me? Want to join my Pride on Facebook? Click the Facebook Icon.
https://www.facebook.com/queengothkiara ... fekingdom/

Check out the TLK/TLG Merchandise Page on Facebook, like and follow, and tell other fans about it.
https://www.facebook.com/The-Lion-King- ... 165042753/

James Camerons AVATAR FANS PLEASE like my Avatar page if you want to RP on the planet of Pandora, im trying get to more like to grow my page, please help me.
https://www.facebook.com/Amiryat-from-A ... 805499620/
gothprincesskiara
I live by the Circle of Life

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

We are all connected in the great Circle of Life

Nickname(s): Kiara
Pride Points: 93

Postby Panpardus » June 27th, 2019, 6:26 pm

I don't order tickets in advance for movies -- and getting them has never really been a problem, even on opening day -- but I am planning on going to see it on either the first Tuesday after it releases or just make my way to one of the theaters in a nearby town that currently has an $6 for everything summer sale; depends on how I'm feeling and if I actually make plans to see it with friends.

The novelization is currently available for sale; not sure exactly how reflective it is of the film itself, but you can read some excepts here: https://books.google.com/books?id=4OaZD ... on&f=false
The first two chapters cover the opening of the film (Simba's presentation while Scar sulks in his lair and toys with a mouse) and then the other part given describes the "Be Prepared" scene and Scar leading Simba into the gorge (which the book doesn't call Embamba Canyon even though Favreau and the crew on-set apparently do; like I said, not sure how accurate the book is the the movie). It's an interesting enough read, content-wise; kind of bland in terms of presentation style though. The dynamics between the lions and hyenas do get a bit of fleshing out in the way I'd anticipated, although Scar's relationship to the hyenas doesn't quite add up to what I'd hoped they'd do, at least not based on the viewable excerpts of the book. (And again, could be different in the film.) One review I found mentioned a new subplot for the lionesses, but that seems like one of the bigger twists/deviations for the movie so I won't go into it here -- not that there's much detail given to it in the review.

What I don't mind discussing is the hyenas; nothing huge with them as far as I know, but there are some changes so I'll put it in a spoiler tag in case you want to be as fresh as possible for this:
Spoiler: show
The hyenas are more of a legitimate threat here or at least are more organized and not really the comedic agents of chaos they are in the original movies. Shenzi in particular is a much more serious character than her cartoon iteration and is clearly established as the dominant female. (No mate or offspring mentioned though.) She doesn't seem particularly close to Kamari and Azizi; they're described as her "main minions" mostly because they're just always hanging around her, but she doesn't care much for them. Kamari and Azizi themselves are definitely Banzai and Ed renamed, although their characterizations and the dynamics between them are a bit more similar to Janja and Cheezi/Chungu; their back-and-forth dialogue (yes, Azizi talks) is almost exactly the same as those Lion Guard characters'.
Panpardus

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 51

Postby Elton John » June 27th, 2019, 7:20 pm

i am listening to the audiobook, still early on but one of the major changes i hope is in the movie

There are more lion cubs in the pride than just simba and nala.
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby Gaze » July 2nd, 2019, 3:25 am

got my advance tickets too, for July 19th at 7 PM. we had tickets available for the 18th here too but Friday just ended up working out better for everyone, so I'll be ignoring this forum and any other sources of spoilers that thursday, LOL.

anyone else planning to make a whole day of this? thinking I'll probably watch both the original TLK and SP before going to the movie....perhaps make some themed snacks...might go see if the grocery store bakery has any licensed TLK cakes I can order...lol. my WDW Sarabi beanie will surely be accompanying me to the theater, along with 4 friends. should be a good day :evil:
Gaze
TLK collector

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

and bad poster

Pride Points: 26

Postby DGFone » July 2nd, 2019, 4:26 am

I have a friend showing up on the 19th and part of the 20th, so I am hoping to ninja in watching the movie then, but considering how little time he will spend in town, and how much other things we have/want to do, it might not be possible.

The fallback plan is to watch it on August 3rd when I will be visiting my sister. It will mean that I will have to avoid this section of MLK for two weeks, because I want to go into it without knowing what will happen / what to expect.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Iberian » July 6th, 2019, 12:29 am

Found this clip on Leahalalela (credit goes to Kossu).
Think would be nice to share it with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lrtMCn5Yo0
Iberian

Pride Points: 14

Postby Elton John » July 11th, 2019, 2:29 am

My friend saw it today, while he can’t post a review today he did give some general impressions.

As a frame of reference the original is his favorite animated movie.

Spoiler tagged cuz i dunno

He seemed to really like it, but not love it, but in his own words it was leagues better than the Aladdin remake.

The music was good, he especially liked the new elton john song during the credits.

The mufasa death scene is far more visceral than in the original, get ready to cry... a lot...

the stand out character is Scar

the movie is darker in tone than the original

he says the visuals are ridiculously good, he’s betting on an oscar win.

He didnt directly say this but fans of the original need not worry as disney did this remake justice
Elton John
I’m with you

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion King (2019)