It's official, there's gonna be a tlk remake.

Re: It's official, there's gonna be a tlk remake.

Postby TLK_Kid » July 19th, 2019, 11:16 pm

Seeing it tonight!! So excited :D
TLK_Kid
When in doubt...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

ASANTE SANA SQUASH BANANA

Nickname(s): Just call me Kid xD
Pride Points: 4

Postby Elton John » August 25th, 2019, 6:58 pm

the remake is now past 1.5 billion worldwide

510 million domestic

almost 1 billion everywhere else

it is almost the 7th highest grossing movie of all time worldwide, and will likely get close to 1.6 billion before it ends its theatrical run.

the movie has consistently been in the top 3 highest grossing films at the box office on a daily basis in the US since release even with increasing competition from R rated fare like once upon a time in hollywood and family fare like dora and angry birds.

Simba is the king of the summer box office (avengers endgame released two months before summer started).
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Gemini » August 25th, 2019, 8:12 pm

If I'm completely honest, I decided I was going to wait on this one until after it's released or available streaming somewhere I don't have to directly pay to watch it. I was hoping for it to be better than average in terms of the Disney remakes (I like Jon Favreau as a director, after all) but when I heard and read some of the rather lackluster reviews I kinda got cold feet. As much as I initially liked the idea of these CGI remakes and appreciated the new directions they took with stories like Maleficent, seeing films like the god-awful BatB remake has really turned me off the idea, lol. I'm sure I'll still get around to seeing it eventually (it is TLK), but in the meantime I'm trying to save my money - and my judgment - until I've actually seen the film and can judge whether it's worth being financially supported or not.

(Of course, it's not like I even have a choice on whether to see it anymore as this movie ended its run in town like a month ago I think and I'm not about to drive 50+ miles over it. xD So streaming it is.)
Ask Me Stuff | FFnet | Video Q&A Session | About My Webcomic | Commission Me (dA)
"A lion may be stronger, but a wolf doesn't jump through hoops."
Pic (c) BlazingBlackMage
Gemini
The maverick

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Don't look back

Nickname(s): Twin, Janna
Telegram: @maverickmule
Pride Points: 107

Postby Panpardus » August 26th, 2019, 5:10 am

If nothing else I'll say that it deserves to be seen on a large screen, or at least with high quality resolution.
Panpardus

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 51

Postby Elton John » August 29th, 2019, 1:01 am

I also find it interesting that the movie has made over 31 million USD at the Japanese box office, as of last Sunday. The movie only started playing there less than two weeks ago so it will likely make a fair bit more than that.

In an article I read it is doing fairly well there on a day to day basis, with it typically being in the number 2 or 3 spot even with movies based on popular anime opening up.

This makes me wonder, something I have been wondering for a while. Do the people of Japan really know, or really care about the Kimba controversy?

This is just anecdotal but out of all my Japanese friends only one really cares, and by ‘really cares’ i mean only kind of but not really. The rest either don’t give a crap, don’t know, or are fans of the lion king themselves. Heck, one of my friends was a part of the broadway production in Japan.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Elton John » September 1st, 2019, 5:11 pm

tlk is now 35 million away from 1.6 billion worldwide according to box office mojo.

i can’t imagine disney being unhappy with this monster of a box office run. one of the highest grossing movies ever and disneys highest grosser that isn’t marvel or star wars.

just like i predicted this remake a year before it was announced, i predict we will get a tlk2 remake and that it will happen faster than we might think.
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby Aelwen » September 2nd, 2019, 5:11 pm

[quote="Elton John"]tlk is now 35 million away from 1.6 billion worldwide according to box office mojo.

i can’t imagine disney being unhappy with this monster of a box office run. one of the highest grossing movies ever and disneys highest grosser that isn’t marvel or star wars.

just like i predicted this remake a year before it was announced, i predict we will get a tlk2 remake and that it will happen faster than we might think.[/quote]

It won't be a TLK2 remake as they changed the gender of Simba's cub. If they make TLK2 it will have a different plot. Without Kiara.

Basically we now have a TLK 1994, movie-remake, an AU TLK2+TLG here Simba's firstborn is a girl. And a possible second sequel where Smba's firstborn is a boy.
Aelwen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 1

Postby Elton John » September 2nd, 2019, 5:53 pm

i’m curious as to how you know they changed the gender.
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby Aelwen » September 2nd, 2019, 6:20 pm

[quote="Elton John"]i’m curious as to how you know they changed the gender.[/quote]
in the novellization the cub was named a future king.

[quote]Turning, Simba walked back toward his den. A smile broke over his face as he saw his young son playing with Timon and Pumbaa. Nala looked on, her eyes full of love and wonder as she gazed at the cub. Sensing Simba’s eyes on her, she looked up and smiled proudly.
Picking up their cub, she walked over to him, and together, they followed Rafiki up to the promontory. Below, the animals had gathered to once again honor their future king.

Below, the animals let out cries of joy as they welcomed the new cub. Simba slowly backed up. He had time yet, but someday, this kingdom would be his child’s. Until then, he would do his best to honor his promise to Mufasa. Simba would always remember who he was, and who Mufasa had been. And no matter what path his child found, he would be there. And he would also be there for Nala, for his friends, and for his kingdom. That was Simba’s path.[/quote]
Aelwen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 1

Postby Azdgari » September 2nd, 2019, 6:35 pm

Looks like our boy Kopa's back, then.
Guess the Member with Kitva Hyperlink: show
"Hates me
Nothing but facts
Male"

"...Woeler?"

"ya"
Azdgari
big, wide turns

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 114

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion King (2019)