It's official, there's gonna be a tlk remake.

Re: It's official, there's gonna be a tlk remake.

Postby Stormy » November 5th, 2019, 10:20 pm

Been out for a few hours now, just watched it. Thoughts?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 700 character limit.
View more smilies BBCode is ON [img] is ON [flash] is OFF [url] is ON Smilies are ON
Stormy
Custom Title:

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Custom Text:

Pride Points: 14

Postby TheLionPrince » November 5th, 2019, 10:42 pm

They nailed it. Every single second of the Honest Trailer was spot on. However, I was turned off by they sarcastically stated The Lion King was "adapted" from Kimba the White Lion. The plagiarism allegations are never going to go away.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Elton John » November 5th, 2019, 10:49 pm

I got two minutes into it before I stopped. Somehow even less funny than their Aladdin 2019 honest trailer.

I have noticed that the honest game trailers, which used to be voiced by jon bailey, aren’t anymore and also seem to have different (worse) writers. While not hitting the same garbage lows of cinemasins, I do think that ht’s just aren’t consistently as funny as they used to be... I thought the endgame ht was funny... Maybe the writing staff is different from trailer to trailer?
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Stormy » November 6th, 2019, 12:06 am

Yeah I was a little put off by the Kimba thing as well, not because they mentioned necessarily, because it won’t ever go away like mentioned, but because they used the same thing when they did the ‘94 version.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 700 character limit.
View more smilies BBCode is ON [img] is ON [flash] is OFF [url] is ON Smilies are ON
Stormy
Custom Title:

Custom Text:

Postby Stormy » November 16th, 2019, 3:02 am

I know it’s still pretty early to say this, but I really feel as the Simba’s pride remake is quite a lower chance than I really expected. Just because of the monumental hate that people have for this movie.. people who aren’t even really into Frozen are going to go just for the main purpose of taking out TLK2019 as the highest animated film again. It is Disney, and it stuck high in money, but will they really go for it? And if they do, do they think it’s going to strike as high seeing how everyone reacted with 2019?
Personally I feel like the amount of hate this remake is getting is kinda tainting the way TLK is viewed among people, because people are just tired about hearing about the remake at this point which I think is unfortunate how it’s going. Just my thoughts on it.
Stormy
Custom Title:

Custom Text:

Postby Elton John » November 16th, 2019, 1:10 pm

Monumental hate? It has an audience score on rotten tomatoes of 88 percent after over 75,000 votes. The movie had massive legs at the box office, staying at the top 10 for quite a while.

Its more of a vocal minority that hates it.

The movie also managed to make a the amount it did in spite of having lukewarm box office performance (for a big budget hollywood movie) in China. The gap between Chinese and Japanese numbers for big Hollywood movies is usually pretty big, but with tlk the gap was not that large.

It does have a 53 percent score from critics on rotten tomatoes, but that just means half of the critics who saw it recommend it/liked it and the other didn’t.

Which means audiences generally liked it, and critics were more split.

The movie does have harsh critics. Every movie that makes... 1,655,156,910 ????!!!??? dollars at the global box office is bound to have plenty of them.

But the hate is overstated.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Elton John » November 17th, 2019, 5:56 pm

Something I didn’t expect.

TLK was in the top 30 domestic box office this weekend. Made over 50,000. Inching towards 545,000,000 domestic. Over 1,655,000,000 worldwide.
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby WildSimba » November 17th, 2019, 6:10 pm

[quote="Elton John"]Monumental hate? It has an audience score on rotten tomatoes of 88 percent after over 75,000 votes. The movie had massive legs at the box office, staying at the top 10 for quite a while.

Its more of a vocal minority that hates it.

The movie also managed to make a the amount it did in spite of having lukewarm box office performance (for a big budget hollywood movie) in China. The gap between Chinese and Japanese numbers for big Hollywood movies is usually pretty big, but with tlk the gap was not that large.

It does have a 53 percent score from critics on rotten tomatoes, but that just means half of the critics who saw it recommend it/liked it and the other didn’t.

Which means audiences generally liked it, and critics were more split.

The movie does have harsh critics. Every movie that makes... 1,655,156,910 ????!!!??? dollars at the global box office is bound to have plenty of them.

But the hate is overstated.[/quote]

No doubt, the general public is more than willing to take that crap, where diehard tlk fans are more likely to see the issues with it all over the place. The ratings don't make it a good film but the whole nostalgic remakes of classic films is a huge thing right now, so I'd say the likelyhood of a tlk2 remake is pretty likely with the numbers it did in the box office.
"There are you, you drive like a demon from station to station," - David Bowie
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Ain't it Funny how it happens

Nickname(s): WS, David
Telegram: Ask me through PM
Pride Points: 122

Postby Stormy » December 1st, 2019, 8:13 pm

Looks like only around 11,000 more for TLK to reach 1,656,000,000, assuming that'll be the last million.
Stormy
Custom Title:

Custom Text:

Postby DGFone » December 3rd, 2019, 5:56 am

[quote="WildSimba"]
No doubt, the general public is more than willing to take that crap, where diehard tlk fans are more likely to see the issues with it all over the place. The ratings don't make it a good film but the whole nostalgic remakes of classic films is a huge thing right now, so I'd say the likelyhood of a tlk2 remake is pretty likely with the numbers it did in the box office.[/quote]

As a "diehard" TLK fan, I think that the remake is just about a shameless cash-grab while allow the art team to stroke their egos by showing off their render farms. The remake is significantly worse than the original, and I feel like we might have been better off without it ever happening...

..But I also admit that if the original movie didn't exist, and the remake was the original, that on its own, it's still a good movie. Not great. Just good.

This also means that I can easily see how this movie is making all of the cash it does. I enjoy much worse movies, so how can I hate on others for liking this one? Sure, I personally don't like it, but I'm not going to stop others from indulging in it.

Just leaves me feeling a little disappointed. A part of me hoped that the remake would do poorly and serve as a warning against all of these remakes. Instead, it only told Disney to continue on full steam ahead.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion King (2019)