"The Bite of Kenge" - Season 2 Ep. 11

Re: "The Bite of Kenge" - Season 2 Ep. 11

Postby SimbasGuard » October 28th, 2017, 8:36 am

[quote="AnonLion"]oh wow that changes things completely! I'm betting Kion and Beshte get bitten, Bunga for sure will be the one to save the day.[/quote]

I agree. Given Bunga's resistance to venom this is a very likely possibility. I would think Ono would be able to avoid getting bitten as he can fly. Fuli could avoid getting bitten given her speed, but since she would take the lead if she were still be active while Kion is down. I think it is more likely that she will get sidelined as well.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby Panpardus » October 29th, 2017, 3:52 am

(I feel like we're making a dead pool; never thought I'd say this about a preschool show.)

In my opinion, Bunga is probably going to be the episode hero since we already know he's resistant to cobra venom, which is way more serious than any monitor lizard's. Ono's probably safe from a storytelling and logistical perspective since he's usually out of range (he can fly and usually sits on Beshte's back), and if he does get bitten he's small enough for such a bite to probably be fatal, venom or not. Beshte has thick skin and is probably too big for the venom to have much of an effect realistically, but removing him from the scenario in this way would underscore how dangerous Kenge is, so it's kinda 50/50 with him. Fuli and Kion are definitely going to end up paralyzed; we know they're good friends but we don't really get a lot of them alone together (not shipping, I swear), and going through a near-death scenario together would certainly tighten their friendship once the ordeal is over.
Panpardus

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 51

Postby SimbasGuard » October 29th, 2017, 10:16 am

[quote="Panpardus"](I feel like we're making a dead pool; never thought I'd say this about a preschool show.)[/quote]

It took me a minute to get that reference :lol:

[quote="Panpardus"]In my opinion, Bunga is probably going to be the episode hero since we already know he's resistant to cobra venom, which is way more serious than any monitor lizard's. Ono's probably safe from a storytelling and logistical perspective since he's usually out of range (he can fly and usually sits on Beshte's back), and if he does get bitten he's small enough for such a bite to probably be fatal, venom or not. Beshte has thick skin and is probably too big for the venom to have much of an effect realistically, but removing him from the scenario in this way would underscore how dangerous Kenge is, so it's kinda 50/50 with him.[/quote]

Beshte will probably be sidelined as well. To back up what you said the story will be more dramatic if The Guard's Big Guns are taken down.

[quote="Panpardus"]Fuli and Kion are definitely going to end up paralyzed; we know they're good friends but we don't really get a lot of them alone together (not shipping, I swear), and going through a near-death scenario together would certainly tighten their friendship once the ordeal is over.[/quote]

Yeah, come to think of it the only truly alone moment they had (if memory serves me) was in Fuli's New Family, when she busted his chops for telling The Guard not to let her be alone. I don't don't think your shipping at all :wink: Seriously though the episode needs a side plot and that sounds like a great one. Another thing to consider is that the preview for this episode showed next to nothing. The last time that happened, was for Rescue In The Outlands and that was the best episode so far this season. (Yes I know we are only 10 episodes into this season). Also your idea would drive Kion/Fuli shippers wild (I'm still rooting for Kion/Vitani). I also have to admit if Kion and Fuli did have a moment that indicated that they might have feelings that could develop into something more than friendship (aside from the subtle hints we have seen). I can't say I would be totally be disappointed. I'd also be impressed if the show actually went there.

SimbasGuard

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby JackStover » November 3rd, 2017, 9:17 am

Episode is up on the usual sites. Beshte, Fuli and Kion get bit. Still watching the episode at the moment. They don't seem to be in any pain, and just get paralyzed, which is arguably a bit of a cop-out. Bunga also farts again, which is just... let's just say this episode isn't the most dramatic so far.

JackStover

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 17

Postby TTB-Kun » November 3rd, 2017, 12:18 pm

on the positive note i think this episode kinda hinted the lion guard about the fact that hyenas are acting different from usual and maybe soon enough they will figure out that there is scar behind all the recent actions.
Aside from that the rest of the episode is average i think
TTB-Kun

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 11

Postby Kallo » November 3rd, 2017, 6:07 pm

[quote]They don't seem to be in any pain, and just get paralyzed, which is arguably a bit of a cop-out. [/quote]

Honestly, I'm kinda surprised they got away with showing Kenge literally bite them on screen at all, multiple times even. And the bites were shown to have a bit of a side-effect as well. Maybe they didn't really show the Guard being in agonizing pain or anything, but they didn't exactly rule out that they weren't experiencing any pain, either.

The episode was alright. There weren't any huge flaws, but I felt it had an unusual amount of things to nitpick about. Such as: If Ushari always knew Kenge, then why wasn't he brought in sooner/more often to deal with The Lion Guard? In fact, with how independent and angry Kenge seemed, how did they convince him to join them in the first place? I was hoping we'd get a bit of a break from Scar, but he was only gone for one episode and now he's back again. They're really overusing him. I guess the good thing is Mufasa is being overused less now, thanks to Scar. The song felt kinda misplaced, in the episode. Dunno, just felt very sudden and out of place as far as the episode goes. Once I saw the entire episode, I get why they placed it there, but honestly, it felt too early into the episode. Another thing is, why didn't Kion just use the Roar immediately when meeting Kenge. Nothing was stopping him. And neither was anything stopping the hyenas from taking out the Guard completely once they were paralysed. Also, why didn't the hyenas just break the melons if they wanted to get rid of them? I know Janja and his pals aren't the brightest, but it was Scar's plan. Why didn't he tell the hyenas if they can't get the melons to the Outlands, just break them? Seems like something he'd be selfish enough to do. Wished for a bit more complaining from Fuli. Moving fast is such a big part of her character that seems she'd be far more annoyed/emotionally damaged from not being able to move AT ALL. At least we got that small bit with Bunga annoying her about it. Speaking of Bunga, yeah, the fart bit was kind of another facepalm moment, but at least they're using it realistically and as a meaningful offense with him. Finally, I honestly wish that the heynas would've won this battle. It would be refreshing to see the Guard lose for once, and since there's clear continuation with the story now, it's something they could easily do. Right now, it just feels like the Guard is ALWAYS stopping the hyneas/Scar's plans and the overall big story isn't really going anywhere or gaining any momentum.

On the good side of things: Despite the song feeling oddly placed within the episode, it was enjoyable. Nothing too special, but had a nice prog vibe to it. Kenge seemed like an actual threat; the biggest one since Zira. Of course, the Roar is so overpowered no villain really feels like an actual threat, but he definitely seemed more so than perhaps anyone else before. I think he's the first one to be able to actually stand up against the Guard and even take them out. If it had been just him alone against them, without the rest of the plan having to take place, you could say he basically won. Was cool to see Makini again and actually be a REALLY big help. She's progressed well as a character. They've toned her goofiness down from an "easily could become annoying" level, to actual fun level that makes for good comedy. Just like they did with Bunga. I feel they've done it better with her, though. Fuli looked adorable with the flower crown. I'm glad Bunga's immunity to venom was brought in again. It establishes nice continuity and also makes it out to be a good, useful thing this time around. Also, I think Bunga's small song at that one point near the end was a reference to "Under the Sea" from The Little Mermaid, but I could be wrong. Sounded like it. Btw, I wonder what Kenge's thing with being called little is? Seems he has some past traumas about it. xD

As far as the animation in this episode goes, I feel like they've pretty much got it nailed down by this point in the series. It's improved a lot. Only thing that still needs a bit of work is just the regular walking animations. While the walking animations have improved a lot, they still often look like the characters are walking on ice or something; their steps don't seem to have any grip. And they seem very weightless as they walk. The action scenes could also still be improved quite a bit, but they've gotten a lot better as well. Other than that, the animation is really good now.
Kallo

Pride Points: 21

Postby AnonLion » November 5th, 2017, 4:18 am

It was an alright episode. Though watching Kenge biting the Guard on screen was pretty shocking (in a good way) the rest was pretty tame. On one hand the song felt a little out of place, seeing Bunga farting was just... annoying, Scar's appearance didn't add anything and if the hyenas really wanted to harm the elephants they could have just smashed the melons. On the other hand Makini's character is developing really well, Kenge was an actual believable threat against the guard, Bunga's immunity returning instead of being a one episode thing was great and seeing the guard wear flower crowns was adorable.

Overall not a bad episode, but it wasn't one of the best either.

Edit: I just remembered Makini lost her staff AGAIN. That's three. Is this going to be a thing now?
Last edited by AnonLion on November 8th, 2017, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simba and Nala give me life

I also just began writing TLK fanfiction !
AnonLion

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 8

Postby SimbasGuard » November 5th, 2017, 1:54 pm

I liked the episode. Kenge is an Outlander so I'm sure Scar will keep him in his army. He is quite formidable as has been stated. It is good to see that Makini is paying attention to her lessons, if not completely retaining them.

[quote="Kallo"]If Ushari always knew Kenge, then why wasn't he brought in sooner/more often to deal with The Lion Guard? In fact, with how independent and angry Kenge seemed, how did they convince him to join them in the first place?[/quote]

Kenge does seem very hard to deal with. Ushari might have been reluctant to involve him for that reason. As for how they did actually recruit him, perhaps they introduced him to Scar.

[quote="Kallo"]why didn't Kion just use the Roar immediately when meeting Kenge.[/quote]

Kion always uses The Roar as a last resort. Unless there is no other option, like when the dam burst in Bunga The Wise.

[quote="Kallo"]Nothing was stopping him. And neither was anything stopping the hyenas from taking out the Guard completely once they were paralysed. Also, why didn't the hyenas just break the melons if they wanted to get rid of them? I know Janja and his pals aren't the brightest, but it was Scar's plan. Why didn't he tell the hyenas if they can't get the melons to the Outlands, just break them? Seems like something he'd be selfish enough to do.[/quote]

Perhaps Scar told them that the melons took priority, also wasn't Janja (and company) trying to steal the melons for themselves in the beginning. Maybe he thought that they were too valuable to just break.

[quote="Kallo"]Finally, I honestly wish that the heynas would've won this battle. It would be refreshing to see the Guard lose for once, and since there's clear continuation with the story now, it's something they could easily do. Right now, it just feels like the Guard is ALWAYS stopping the hyneas/Scar's plans and the overall big story isn't really going anywhere or gaining any momentum.[/quote]

If The Hyenas would have won this battle it would have been a death sentence for The Elephants.

Technically The Guard did lose in The Rise of Scar. They (but more so Kion) got totally played.

Scar's big plan at the moment is to gather all the animals of The Outlands into his army. In this episode we met Kenge, he is formidable on his own, but as part of a large army image. Also he will likely want revenge on The Guard, so now he has motivation to join Scar's army.

The Guard is winning battles, but they have no idea (unintentional pun :evil: ) that a war is coming.

SimbasGuard

Postby Kallo » November 5th, 2017, 4:25 pm

Hmm, dunno. Feels like a lot of "maybes". I don't enjoy nitpicking at children's cartoons too much usually, but I also don't like when there's multiple very obvious nitpicks throughout the episode, and you need to think up like 10 forced explanations to excuse the episode. Especially when the nitpicks are things I'd have wondered about just as much as a kid. Sure, MAYBE Kenge was introduced to Scar but from what we can see, it didn't happen. Sure, Kion uses the Roar as a last resort, but he's learned to control it now and there was no possible danger using it in that situation. I think when Kenge attacked them, it was time for that last resort. (Note: I think this is more a fault of the Roar in general, than this particular episode or scene. The Roar's too OP and the writers need to come up with excuses for Kion not to use it or the episodes wouldn't go anywhere. The sooner they get rid of the Roar, the better it would be, in my opinion). Also, I'm sure the melons would've been valuable to the hyenas as well, but Scar seems smart enough that he'd order the hyenas to break them if all else fails.

[quote="SimbasGuard"]If The Hyenas would have won this battle it would have been a death sentence for The Elephants.

Technically The Guard did lose in The Rise of Scar. They (but more so Kion) got totally played.

Scar's big plan at the moment is to gather all the animals of The Outlands into his army. In this episode we met Kenge, he is formidable on his own, but as part of a large army image. Also he will likely want revenge on The Guard, so now he has motivation to join Scar's army.

The Guard is winning battles, but they have no idea (unintentional pun :evil: ) that a war is coming.[/quote]

It wouldn't necessarily have been a death sentence. I'm sure they could've come up with some means of survival for the elephants until Scar was defeated or the dry season was over, even if it left them in a weakened state. I do kinda agree with you, though. Perhaps this was a case where the Guard NEEDED to win, but it wouldn't bother me so much if the bad guys were shown to win some more at times too. Right now, it's been super one-sided. Yes, you could say Scar is winning by the Guard not knowing about him, but that's just like 1 victory out of 10, and the rest has gone to the good guys. And when the Guard do find out about him, he'll lose that one too and then he'll have nothing. The tables really need to take a major turn in the next few episodes and then until the end of the season. We definitely need a more clear explanation on what exactly is Scar's plan and we need to start seeing it progress. Right now it's just "new plan to weaken the Pride Lands, send minions to do it, Guard stops minions, back to point A". It's very redundant and as said, feels like we're going nowhere with it. Just running still at the same point of the story. Didn't bother me so much with Janja, but with Scar they're clearly trying to build this bigger, more progressing story for the season (or perhaps even past it), and I feel like it needs to start moving by this point.
Kallo

Pride Points: 21

Postby zerodix » November 7th, 2017, 10:38 am

i've seen it and it was a cringefest. i miss season 1, that quality is officially gone now.
was this te last episode? is there hope?
missing the old deviantart...
zerodix
The Lion King remake

july 19th 2019

Pride Points: 19

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion Guard