The Rise of Scar Tailor

Re: The Rise of Scar Tailor

Postby Panpardus » July 26th, 2017, 3:21 am

So, new clip featuring Makini: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObMIMyfU-Dw

She's kind of annoying (I personally don't really like these kinds of characters anyway, particularly in 'kid' shows) but I guess it confirms in-universe that Mufasa and the other "great kings" can make themselves visible and audible to whomever they want at any given point, so whenever Kion or Simba or someone else - without the training to hear them, I suppose, as in the case of those in Rafiki's position - sees and talks to them, anybody not keyed in on the conversation just hears that person talking aloud to empty space. (Would explain Nala's seeming dismissal of Simba's "seeking council from the Great Kings" with her "Did they help?" response in their little scene in Simba's Pride; she hasn't had that experience so she wouldn't know whether it's true of not.) Not sure if Scar works the same way; we'll have to see.
Panpardus

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 51

Postby Kallo » July 26th, 2017, 4:01 am

I mean, we always knew Rafiki had the ability to communicate with the Past Kings. At least ever since "Simba's Pride". Still doesn't mean he or Makini can actually see them in the sky. In fact, we still don't know if any character can ACTUALLY see them in the sky or even communicate with them. It could all very well just be metaphorical; a form of self-searching for the characters, just depicted to us viewers as actual communication to the Past Kings. Kind of like praying is in real life. You don't know if anyone is actually listening, but some people still do it for their own self, to try and gain clarity on things. In fact, if Janja is actually seeing Scar, like the trailer heavily suggests, then that'd be the first ever proper confirmation in the TLK -universe that the ghosts are real beings that can physically manifest themselves into the world.

As far as Makini goes, she's that "cute but slightly annoying" type of character. I can see how she could get really on your nerves after a while, if written poorly, but judging by that short clip it's still too early to say if that will be the case. So far I still find her mostly cute, without much problem.
Kallo

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 21

Postby Panpardus » July 26th, 2017, 4:31 am

Fair enough on both counts. I mean, we know Rafiki at least can hear when Mufasa speaks to both himself and to Simba (he seems to have heard Mufasa's line at the end of Simba's Pride) though I'd be inclined to think that he can indeed see the ghost as well. (How this happens, I don't know; clearly there's some sort of special training and/or magic involved.) Given that Scar doesn't seem to be a Great King who "looks down on us from those stars" I'm curious if he works differently from Mufasa since I'm pretty sure that he makes himself known to everyone on-site, and none of those characters seem particularly 'spiritually inclined' if you will.

I doubt it, but I'm hoping that Makini's appearances bring some exposition regarding how The Lion King's spiritual world works. I doubt she herself will be obnoxious, and the fact that it seems like other main characters aren't going to warm to her all that much (Fuli and Ono I'd imagine would find her annoying) suggests to me that she's not badly written, I just don't like the character because that's my own personality.
Panpardus

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Elton John » July 26th, 2017, 7:26 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?a=&feature= ... 0N57HWpJ2g

I can hear hints of Jeremy Irons Scar in him but he lacks the sass and oomph of the og. Better than his kingdom hearts 2 actor.

And thankfully it doesn't seem like Scar is getting a physical body.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Panpardus » July 27th, 2017, 6:57 am

He sounds more like a stage version of the character in my opinion; it works well enough for me.

Also, I'm glimpsing new crocodilian and monitor lizard(?) antagonists in one of those volcano shots. Not sure how much I like the idea of ghost Scar having minions. :kionwhat:
Panpardus

Postby escobea1 » July 27th, 2017, 8:23 am

I
escobea1

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 8

Postby escobea1 » July 27th, 2017, 8:23 am

I liked seeing Scar's giant head glance over at Pride Rock. It looked goofy and unsettling. Why is he back? Why is he still "evil"? Why did his accent change? What is threatening about him now? Where is the hyena trio in all of this? Well, I will find out this Friday! Or end up more confused than ever!

To be honest, I think Kion will just roar and have him fade away like the rest of the cronies. The decision to bring Scar back is a head scratcher but I am still excited to see what happens. Last thing, since the Pride Lands are in dry season, it would tempt Scar to set the Pridelands ablaze. Maybe that is how Zira gets the idea to burn the savannah later to suit her sequel plan. If Scar wanted to pull it off, surely Zira would follow. Oh well, until then we shall see.
Last edited by escobea1 on July 27th, 2017, 8:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
escobea1

Pride Points: 8

Postby Aelwen » July 27th, 2017, 9:49 am

[quote]To be honest, I think Kion will just roar and have him fade away like the rest of the cronies.[/quote]

yeah, I sometimws wish this show was a tad bit older... So many topics and ideas are left unsaid and inused..
Aelwen

Pride Points: 1

Postby zerodix » July 28th, 2017, 11:20 am

i think there will be more new characters beside volcano-scar and makini. i saw the trailer and the behind-the-scenes.. but i did not spot that monitor lizard.
missing the old deviantart...
zerodix
The Lion King remake

july 19th 2019

Pride Points: 19

Postby Squeely » July 28th, 2017, 5:17 pm

̶S̶c̶a̶r̶'̶s̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶b̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶d̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶p̶u̶r̶s̶u̶e̶ ̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶l̶o̶v̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶a̶l̶t̶e̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶m̶e̶n̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶c̶l̶o̶t̶h̶e̶s̶.̶

Aww, I love Makini already! But I love the cute-and-hyper character type; I can definitely see where others would find that type of character annoying. Methinks she'll go the route of MLP's Pinkie Pie: a bit much in her early appearances, but toned down a tad as the show goes on. Give her time xD

Scar is certainly shaping up to be interesting. I'm not sure how they'll keep him as a recurring villain but color me intrigued. Already a huge missed opportunity that we've seen neither hide nor hair of the original hyena trio so likely won't get any interaction between them and Scar; it'll be another huge missed opportunity if Zira or one of her cubs never gets to interact with him. I'd forgive it if Scar was just going to show up in the two-parter, but since he'll play a role in later episodes, villain meet would be so great.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion Guard