David Oyelowo to voice Scar in The Lion Guard

Re: David Oyelowo to voice Scar in The Lion Guard

Postby Squeely » June 23rd, 2017, 8:47 pm

Not familiar with Oyelowo, but seems like a solid choice based on what others are saying 8-)

Keith David would've been too perfect because it's a Scar from the other side :lol:
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby Panpardus » June 23rd, 2017, 9:49 pm

[quote="SimbasGuard"]Not to upset anyone but to me the title The Rise of Scar would seem to indicate that he won't be a one-off. However I could see him taking more of a behind the scenes role, perhaps helping Zira to devise pots against The Lion Guard, all the while driving Zira further into madness in the process. Scar nay even act on his own and try to manipulate Janja's Clan (if Janja's parents are who I think they are) into some kind of disaster. It makes sense that Scar would want revenge on the hyenas as well. Perhaps Scar could participate in brainwashing Kovu. That would make Kovu's line that Scar was part of him and Kovu fearing that there was a darkness within him even more impactful. Scar may not even show up again until the season finale. What we do know is that Scar hast to be defeated before the end of the series because his ghost is not a factor in Lion King 2.[/quote]

That would be a sensible route to take. I personally just don't like the potential for them to overuse the supernatural elements - or any events that have the potential to upend whatever continuity we've already sort of got - though Kovu seeing Scar's ghost would actually be a pretty cool tie-in. It's the same problem many of us were probably feeling when the Outsiders were introduced in this series; there's only so much that you can really do with them that would fit into the already-established events from Simba's Pride (since The Lion Guard is clearly supposed to be canon) without disrupting or altering character motivations or other elements, only here we're talking about got-dang Scar, whose motives I honestly still can't quite see as tangible unless he just wants to be malicious for the sake of being a malicious spirit. Plus, we know the threat he could pose will have to be watered down somewhat because this is still supposed to be a 'kiddie' show (unless they really want to get 'dark' with it).

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to see what happens, I just hope it's well executed and logical. Personally, I think the most effective route if this is just something that Kion has to deal with himself as part of an internal struggle; it would've been cooler and probably a lot more impactful if Scar just appeared in Kion's dreams.
Panpardus

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 51

Postby SimbasGuard » June 24th, 2017, 8:13 am

[quote="Panpardus"]Scar, unless he just wants to be malicious for the sake of being a malicious spirit.[/quote]

That would make sense after being trapped in Lion-Hell Scar decides the best way to get even with Simba would be to torment (or wherever else he has in in mind) Kion. Scar's interest in Kion could have nothing to do with Simba but rather with the fact that Kion is The Leader of The Lion Guard and has The Roar.

[quote="Panpardus"]Plus, we know the threat he could pose will have to be watered down somewhat because this is still supposed to be a 'kiddie' show (unless they really want to get 'dark' with it).[/quote]

Well Kevin Schon did say season 2 would be much darker. Which leads to the question (too lazy to look up who said this) but how much darker can a Disney Jr. show get?

[quote="Panpardus"]Personally, I think the most effective route if this is just something that Kion has to deal with himself as part of an internal struggle; it would've been cooler and probably a lot more impactful if Scar just appeared in Kion's dreams.[/quote]

Perhaps after his initial appearance this is the manner in which Scar will make any future appearances. Another factor is being that David Oyelowo is an A list actor (I have not seen any of his work, I'm just going by what I have read in this thread). Disney may not want to pay...Uh I mean inconvenience him by asking him to appear too often.
Last edited by SimbasGuard on July 20th, 2018, 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby Kallo » June 24th, 2017, 8:29 am

[quote]Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to see what happens, I just hope it's well executed and logical. Personally, I think the most effective route if this is just something that Kion has to deal with himself as part of an internal struggle; it would've been cooler and probably a lot more impactful if Scar just appeared in Kion's dreams.[/quote]

I think that's exactly what will happen. Well, not the dream part. But Scar being more a part of Kion's internal struggles. Been saying that the whole time. I don't think Scar is necessarily gonna be someone you can even call a proper "villain". I think that's where they might have advertised him a bit wrong. I mean, maybe he will try to manipulate Kion or another character into doing something, but I'm thinking he'll mostly just be a part of Kion's struggle in something. Think how Mufasa's role is in the series, and then reverse it to the opposite with Scar, and I think you've got what his role is gonna be. I doubt Scar's part or his scene in the episode is even gonna be a very long one. My expectation's never been above us getting maybe 2 or 3 minutes max with him. The rest of the episode will probably focus on something else altogether.

Also, as far as Scar's ghost, you can't really complain about it being too supernatural. There's nothing new or unfitting about it. The Ghosts of the Past Kings have always been a part of The Lion King -universe. I just think it's awesome we're finally getting to see how Scar's ghost officially looks like, because it's something that people have been wondering ever since the first movie was out.
Kallo

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 21

Postby Squeely » June 24th, 2017, 10:23 am

[quote="Kallo"][I just think it's awesome we're finally getting to see how Scar's ghost officially looks like, because it's something that people have been wondering ever since the first movie was out.[/quote]
I've honestly never wondered about it. The spirituality of the first film is incredibly ambiguous - who's to say Rafiki didn't use magic to make it seem like Mufasa appeared? Was it just a hallucination on Simba's part? And even SP that gives Mufasa a presence, he's only wind. His face appears in the clouds for a split second but no character notices so it's hard to say whether that was to be taken literally, or was just a touch added by the animators.

And even with TLG taking such things literally, it's still not a question that was on my mind. Is Scar even considered a Great King is the only question I had.

That being said, there was a large chunk of my life where I wasn't reading what people were posting about TLK. So I could have easily missed all the people wondering about it.

And this post may come across as me being against Scar's ghost appearing, but I'm not. I think it's wicked awesome and kinda unique. I certainly have not seen much ado about Scar's ghost in fan art and whatnot, if at all. It helps give TLG its own mini-mythos, which bolsters its identity since it does need to work within the confines of established world and lore.

Squeely

Sassy cub

Postby SimbasGuard » June 26th, 2017, 12:27 am

[quote="Kallo"]Think how Mufasa's role is in the series, and then reverse it to the opposite with Scar, and I think you've got what his role is gonna be.[/quote]

That is a very good possibility 8-)

A far less likely, but to me a very intriguing possibility is this: While as others have have said there are sever limitations with what can be done story-wise with The Outsiders that will not mess up existing continuity. I think something like this could happen without stepping on any existing continuity. We know that part of the training Zira subjected Kovu to included a lot of brainwashing, in an effort to turn him evil. I wouldn't be supersized if Scar's ghost (unbeknownst to Zira) tried to darken Kovu's soul so to speak (yes I know this is still a preschool show). Kion having released Scar would not want to see this happen, not because he cares much or at all for Kovu. He just wouldn't want someone else to pay for a mistake he made. While Kion would not be able to save Kovu from being corrupted and influenced by Scar. He would be able to keep Scar from pushing Kovu so far down the path of evil, that he is beyond redemption. As we all know Kiara's love ultimately redeems Kovu.

Another thing I could see happening is a battle between Scar and Mufasa. As Spirits they would be more evenly matched. Scar's Evil being nearly Equal to Mufasa's good.

[quote="Squeely"]I've honestly never wondered about it. The spirituality of the first film is incredibly ambiguous - who's to say Rafiki didn't use magic to make it seem like Mufasa appeared? Was it just a hallucination on Simba's part? And even SP that gives Mufasa a presence, he's only wind. His face appears in the clouds for a split second but no character notices so it's hard to say whether that was to be taken literally, or was just a touch added by the animators.[/quote]

Very good point I guess it is subjective. While I personally believe that Mufasa did appear to Simba and that he was their at Kiara's presentation (Although I think the only ones that saw him were the people watching the movie), and I also believe the reason that Kion can talk to Mufasa is due to The Roar Of The Elders. Basically a bonus power.

[quote="Squeely"]And even with TLG taking such things literally, it's still not a question that was on my mind. Is Scar even considered a Great King is the only question I had.[/quote]

I'd say no Scar is not considered a Great King. The Great Kings are among the stars. Scar gets released from a volcano that would reach into the depths of the earth. In other words The Great Kings are in Lion-Heaven :ghost2: and Scar is in Lion-Hell :roar5:
Last edited by SimbasGuard on June 26th, 2017, 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

SimbasGuard

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Kallo » June 26th, 2017, 6:49 am

To be fair, there is actually nothing in The Lion Guard that's any less ambiguous than in the first two movies. Nothing's to say that Mufasa's ghost (or Scar's in the future) aren't just inside Kion's head. Or that Rafiki's "magical stick" isn't just a trick or something. An illusion of some type. Really, the only thing that's hard to debate against being real is the Roar.

That being said, I think it'd be waste on the lore of The Lion King -universe, if all the spiritual stuff weren't real, but just hallucinations, or symbolic imagery.
Kallo

Pride Points: 21

Postby SimbasGuard » June 26th, 2017, 9:04 am

[quote="Kallo"]That being said, I think it'd be waste on the lore of The Lion King -universe, if all the spiritual stuff weren't real, but just hallucinations, or symbolic imagery.[/quote]

Exactly Kallo! you took the words right out of my mouth 8-) ...Well O.K. the words I wished were there ;)

SimbasGuard

Postby Squeely » June 26th, 2017, 10:43 pm

[quote="Simba's Guard"]I'd say no Scar is not considered a Great King. The Great Kings are among the stars. Scar gets released from a volcano that would reach into the depths of the earth. In other words The Great Kings are in Lion-Heaven :ghost2: and Scar is in Lion-Hell :roar5:[/quote]

Well yes, that's obviously the way TLG is handling it. I meant before we knew about this lol.

Squeely

Sassy cub

Postby SimbasGuard » June 27th, 2017, 8:21 am

I'd still say no because in Lion King 2 when Kovu asked Kiara (and I am paraphrasing here) if Scar was among The Great Kings, she looks shocked that he would even ask that.

SimbasGuard

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion Guard