What mentality do you go into a new show with? TLG?

What mentality do you go into a new show with? TLG?

Postby mewtwo » December 3rd, 2016, 2:13 am

So this is an issue I have with alot of the internet. It seems that people go into a show with the mentality of "it will suck and not be as good as it was or similar". I tend to go into shows with the mentality of "how can the writers impress me and make the show awesome". This is something I have seen with the lion guard. Sure Kion might now have a direct line to Mufasa he might use the roar to often to get out of issues. I dont even know if it will make canonical sense with TLK 2 but I look at it as how can the writers and such make this show great how will they make it fit together cohesively.

So what are your thoughts and what mentality do you have on shows and such?

Thanks
mewtwo

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 0

Re: What mentality do you go into a new show with? TLG?

Postby Panpardus » December 3rd, 2016, 3:53 am

At this point I pretty much go into each new episode with the knowledge that the show's creators have done good work in previous episodes, and so amongst my episode-specific hopes (depending on how much I know about the premise) I just hope that the show can hit at least a few good points and keep a solid story. The other thing I hope is that the writers don't step on any previously-established lore and just maintain as much internal consistency as possible. So basically, I generally start a new episode with a cautiously optimistic attitude.
Panpardus

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 51

Postby Hatari05 » December 3rd, 2016, 4:06 am

I don't walk into anything thinking it will suck unless I have been given a very very good reason to think that. I feel there is a middle ground walking into something thinking it's bad will only result in someone looking for flaws endlessly however immediately believing it will be incredible will result in impossible to meet expectations. It's best to just walk into something curious to see what it can offer and separate what you personally want from what you get, as well be open minded to possible new ideas and arcs. That's how I walk into pretty much everything I watch.
Hatari05

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): you can just call me Hatari for short
Pride Points: 26

Postby Squeely » December 3rd, 2016, 9:53 am

I go into new shows with cautious optimism, and curiosity. I judge TLG partially by the fact that it is a show meant for preschoolers, and it is pretty good in that regard. I think a lot of people held far too high standards for it when it premiered. Knowing it was the pilot to a preschool show... Yeah, Return of the Roar held some promise, and dismissing it because it wasn't up to par with TLK was being a bit too harsh. I've stuck with the show since and I'm glad I did.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby Hatari05 » December 3rd, 2016, 9:45 pm

[quote="Squeely"]I go into new shows with cautious optimism, and curiosity. I judge TLG partially by the fact that it is a show meant for preschoolers, and it is pretty good in that regard. I think a lot of people held far too high standards for it when it premiered. Knowing it was the pilot to a preschool show... Yeah, Return of the Roar held some promise, and dismissing it because it wasn't up to par with TLK was being a bit too harsh. I've stuck with the show since and I'm glad I did.[/quote]

True as a preschool show LG is probably second to none but I just can't get into something with no ongoing narrative and minimum character arcs which is why I only respond to the select few episodes that catch my attention. I just wish the show could be for an older audience having it on Disney junior for preschoolers will in my opinion stop it from achieving it's true potential, which both Never Roar again and Lions of the outlands showed me.

I liked the premise of both episodes but they wrap them up too quickly and the conflict has minimum impact. I can't support something like that I know the target audience but that just convinces me that this show shouldn't be targeted at preschoolers since it constantly results in good stories being underdeveloped or discarded because they're too mature for the target audience and I feel that is disappointing. Lions of the outlands really drove this point home that was the final straw that told me this show needs to be on a different network and targeted at an older audience.
Hatari05

Nickname(s): you can just call me Hatari for short
Pride Points: 26

Postby Kallo » December 8th, 2016, 5:24 pm

I originally went into it with the mentality "It's an addtion to the TLK franchise, and I love the TLK franchise. So I'll give it a chance, but won't expect too much. And if I even remotely enjoy it, I'll see if I keep watching". And now I go into every episode with the mentality that as long as I'm having fun watching it, and it's keeping me entertained along with the few other shows that I follow, then I'll keep watching.

The most annoying thing I see people often say about the show is "I watched Return of the Roar. It was NOTHING like the original movie so it sucked. I'm so disappointed". Like wtf. 'Return of the Roar' isn't even a proper film, it's just a two-parter pilot of a preschooler show, that was made into a short TV-movie. What were you expecting? A proper, cinema quality, feature-length Disney movie? It's not even a proper Disney straight-to-DVD sequel, let alone a proper new feature film. So annoying. Sometimes I really wonder what goes on in people's heads.
Kallo

Pride Points: 21

Postby Panpardus » December 8th, 2016, 6:03 pm

[quote="Kallo"]The most annoying thing I see people often say about the show is "I watched Return of the Roar. It was NOTHING like the original movie so it sucked. I'm so disappointed". Like wtf. 'Return of the Roar' isn't even a proper film, it's just a two-parter pilot of a preschooler show, that was made into a short TV-movie. What were you expecting? A proper, cinema quality, feature-length Disney movie? It's not even a proper Disney straight-to-DVD sequel, let alone a proper new feature film. So annoying. Sometimes I really wonder what goes on in people's heads.[/quote]

I think part of it is that people in general didn't/don't know that The Lion Guard is more than just Return of the Roar, that it was supposed to set up an entire TV series. The hype I saw in the media reports about its impending release pretty much glanced over that fact and presented the special in a way that made it seem like more than it actually was. That said, I still think it generally sucked, especially compared to the actual episodes; the story was rushed, the conflict felt quite forced, they wasted way too much time with way too many shoehorned callbacks to the other movies, the voice acting was generally pretty stiff, and even the dialogue was lacking in comparison to an average episode. Even though it's a preschool show, it tried too much to tug at the nostalgia strings rather than proudly being its own thing, which isn't really a good thing for a sequel to do at all, let alone one that's supposed to get people interested enough to come back for the entire series. The only aspects - for me anyway - that add some re-watch value are the underscore and the cinematic moment of Kion using the roar at the end; pretty much everything else I couldn't bear to sit through, and this is coming from someone who generally likes The Lion Guard. So yeah, to add to my own statement above, my baseline expectation for every new episode is that it's better than Return of the Roar, and so far I haven't really been disappointed in that regard, though there have been some flubs along the way.
Panpardus

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 51

Postby AmaniTheLion1996 » December 10th, 2016, 4:10 am

I went into the mentality that's awesome! Despite it being aimed at a preschool audience, Disney Jr knows how to make it appeal it older lion king fans.
AmaniTheLion1996

kuishi na basi kuishi

Pride Points: 0

Postby PridelandsPhantom » December 10th, 2016, 7:21 am

Unless I know it's going to be way off base, I'm willing to give most shows a chance. I know nothing will compare to the original film, but I had seen some sneak peaks of TLG and was impressed that the writers and producers kept the feel of TLK especially with music. I didn't expect it to have the same animation style as TLK which had a bigger budget and bigger name animators working on it. However, I will say I feel the animation has improved with time on TLG.
Dog Mom to Misty, Sango, Tami, Abby, and Kawaii. :)
Three Angel Babies at the Rainbow Bridge: Mija, London, and Olga :cry:
PridelandsPhantom
Kion is My Waifu!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Disney Fan and Lioness at Heart

Nickname(s): Mako, Dog Mom, Alex, Jessi
Pride Points: 12

Return to The Lion Guard