Any gay characters?

Re: Any gay characters?

Postby Ninclow » November 26th, 2016, 11:18 pm

I'm all for teaching kids that there's nothing wrong with different people to like each other or be together without HAVING to be different gender and respect people regardless of ethnicity, gender and/or sexual orientation, but I don't know if Lion King/Lion Guard is the right medium for that lesson.
Ninclow

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 2

Postby Carl » November 30th, 2016, 7:07 pm

Timon and Pumbaa have adopted two kids together. They're clearly a couple, and TLG's episode "Bunga and the King" kind of drove that point home. No, they don't act very interested in romance or anything, but neither do most Disney parents once they become parents—Simba and Nala included. They clearly love one another, but they don't display very many romantic tendencies. I'm actually proud of TLG for handling this in such a subtle way. Sure it would be better if they didn't have Bunga addressing them as his uncles, but Bunga and Simba considering themselves brothers and Timon and Pumbaa considering Simba and Bunga their "babies" is all the proof we need of what's going on there. Last time I checked two people who are just friends don't adopt kids together. Touching on romance itself very much in a preschool show would be weird, whether it were gay or straight, so of course they aren't making a big deal of it most of the time.
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby Elton John » November 30th, 2016, 7:18 pm

Timon and Pumbaa just remind me of Tom Selleck, Steve Guttenburg and Ted Danson in 3 men and a baby/three men and a little lady. The three aren't gay (based on my vague memories of these movies) they just have strong friendships.

Not to say they cant be gay, I dont know the intentions of those who wrote them. I guess we will see where they take them in the remake...
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Squeely » November 30th, 2016, 7:21 pm

I've always seen them as just friends, with a good dose of bromance. T&P's relationship is definitely open to interpretation, though.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby KionScar » December 4th, 2016, 9:30 am

Who knows… probably only Disney…

screengrab is from TLK3 aka TLK1&½.
KionScar

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 10

Postby CatchTheRain » December 5th, 2016, 5:12 am

^ Ew that's gross :yuck:
I like Kovu.
CatchTheRain

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Amber
Pride Points: 4

Postby PridelandsPhantom » December 6th, 2016, 5:53 am

I think Disney wanted to spoof Lady and the Tramp in that scene. I think people take what they want out of Timon and Pumbaa especially since Nathan Lane is gay and has heavily hinted at it. However, I only saw them as friends. Hunchback of Notre Dame has Hugo the gargoyle having a crush on a MALE goat who returns those affections in a the sequel that being the only instance I know of of a confirmed gay couple. That being said I do not think TLG will have any characters addressing romance at all considering it's aimed at younger kids.
Dog Mom to Misty, Sango, Tami, Abby, and Kawaii. :)
Three Angel Babies at the Rainbow Bridge: Mija, London, and Olga :cry:
PridelandsPhantom
Kion is My Waifu!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Disney Fan and Lioness at Heart

Nickname(s): Mako, Dog Mom, Alex, Jessi
Pride Points: 12

Postby KionScar » December 7th, 2016, 7:09 am

Yea, I know it is a spoof just by the characters' own reactions after… :)
KionScar

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 10

Postby CatchTheRain » December 7th, 2016, 12:02 pm

Still weird though ngl... I mean why'd you kiss someone if you're "just friends" I mean really?? I sure wouldn't.
I like Kovu.
CatchTheRain

Nickname(s): Amber
Pride Points: 4

Postby AmaniTheLion1996 » December 10th, 2016, 4:05 am

I'm not sure since they're not a couple in the cannon, but Timon & Pumbaa are possibly gay.
AmaniTheLion1996

kuishi na basi kuishi

Pride Points: 0

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion Guard