New episode 'The Lost Gorillas'.

Re: New episode 'The Lost Gorillas'.

Postby Panpardus » November 11th, 2016, 3:04 pm

Oh, I'm just saying the potential is there. Even then, I'm sure someone will make a meme of it.
Panpardus

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 51

Postby Squeely » November 11th, 2016, 3:16 pm

The memes will be strong with this one.

Speaking of gorillas and memes, Tarzan shouting GOH-RILL-UHS! totally needs to be one :lol:
Last edited by Squeely on November 13th, 2016, 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby PrincessKiara » November 13th, 2016, 5:06 pm

Is Harambe a famous gorilla or something? Never heard of him.

Looking forward to a new episode, just wish we didn`t have to wait so long between each one.
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Postby Tsuki » November 13th, 2016, 5:28 pm

[quote="Squeely"]The memes will be strong with this one.

Speaking of gorillas and memes, Tarzan shouting GOH-RILL_UHS! totally needs to be one :lol:[/quote]

Please let this happen :lol:.

Ha! I will be disappointed if one isn't named Harambe :P.
[center]Image
Awards and Stuff: show
ImageImage
Shared with Rilliane
Sigs by Shadowfax, Nilla, Julie, Simba's Mate, Sophiecub, Tora, Flip and Buffy <333. Avatar by Kay <3
Tsuki

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 88

Postby Squeely » November 21st, 2016, 10:08 am

So, the gorillas have been described as "buffoonish princes" which will be pretty interesting. Makes sense that gorillas would be considered royalty of some sort, given that Tarzan is in the Disney canon and the gorillas were implied to be the kings of the jungle.

The snow that some have pointed out as being in commercials will also be from this episode. The gorillas live in the Rwenzori mountains where snow does fall. So that explains the snow.

Squeely

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Sassy cub

Postby Elton John » November 21st, 2016, 3:45 pm

Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, South Africa has a lot of snow at times.

Mount Kilimanjaro has gorillas too.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Panpardus » November 21st, 2016, 7:16 pm

[quote="The Lionvengers"]Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, South Africa has a lot of snow at times.

Mount Kilimanjaro has gorillas too.[/quote]

Tanzania is a different country from South Africa and is considered a part of Eastern Africa.

----------------------------------------------------------

Just a little geography clarification because a lot of people seem to be getting a bit confused, both here -- not necessarily in this thread, but on others relating to this episode -- and on The Lion Guard fanpage.

Firstly, here's a map of Africa:

So for reference, pretty much the entirety of the cartoon franchise's story is set in the Serengeti in Tanzania, which stretches southeastward along the border of Tanzania and Kenya, from Lake Victoria to the curve along said border where Mt. Kilimanjaro is. (We can even see Mt. Kilimanjaro (specifically the summit Kibo; Kilimanjaro has three summits) during the "Circle of Life" sequence.)

Now, the official episode description for "The Lost Gorillas" says that the gorillas in question are from the Rwenzori Mountains, which is an actual mountain range located more or less in southeastern Uganda along its border with the Democratic Republic of the Congo. There is another range that runs a bit further south called the Virunga Mountains, and that area extends into the northernmost area of Rwanda. Between the Rwenzori Mountains and the Virunga Mountains are where actual populations of mountain gorillas (Gorilla beringei beringei) are found. This is what that landscape looks like in real life: Image

The actual distance between the Serengeti and the Rwenzori Mountains is roughly 500 miles (800 km) or so, not including the added distance of having to walk around Lake Victoria, so two things:
1) These gorillas are very, very lost.
2) I hope the episode emphasizes how long of a trip this is going to be; a trip of that distance, on foot, assuming you didn't stop and take a rest, would still be about two weeks just to get from one point to the other. Basically, the Guard would realistically be out of the Pride Lands for an entire month, providing nothing goes wrong. (Side point: this is more than enough time in a single trip for major events to have gone down back at home, so the idea of Kion and co. just being gone on a mission during the events of the latter half of Simba's Pride is that much more tangible.)

As far as snow in Africa is concerned, it's really only a thing that happens at high altitudes, hence why areas like the Atlas Mountains in Northern Africa (between Morocco, Algeria, and Tunisia), Mt. Kilimanjaro, the Rwenzori Mountains, and South Africa's Drakensburg Mountains, are usually covered in snow at their peaks. It does snow every once in a while in slightly more lowland areas further from the equator, but it's usually not comparable to a typical North American winter; it basically just gets drier and colder at night, but there it's still pretty warm during the day. (In fact, southern Africa is actually entering its summer season right now.) As far as the episode is concerned, given the equatorial nature of the environment, unless the Guard is trekking along the mountain tops they really shouldn't be seeing snow, but I guess Disney wanted something that could tie into the obligatory "Winter Wonderland"-themed December holiday season for its Western audiences.
Panpardus

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 51

Postby Elton John » November 21st, 2016, 7:36 pm

When I looked it up it said south africa :(
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby KionScar » November 22nd, 2016, 12:57 am

i generally pay much attention to the Facebook fan page :)

Rwenzori Mountains from here https://marianahthotel.wordpress.com/sa ... onal-park/
KionScar

Pride Points: 10

Postby Squeely » November 22nd, 2016, 1:01 am

It's a pretty creative way to have a winter-themed episode. I'm impressed.

Squeely

Sassy cub

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion Guard