The Guard should have one more female member

Re: The Guard should have one more female member

Postby Alexterri1 » August 10th, 2016, 4:11 am

Honestly, i agree, but, like others have said, its just because Disney and Marvel are biased like that. They think little boys dislike female characters so much they don't even want to buy merchandise of them, which is really unfair to little girls imo.
What is the difference between a cat and a comma? One has claws at the end of its paws, and the other is a pause at the end of a clause :D
Alexterri1
Queen of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

We are One

Nickname(s): Alex
Pride Points: 6

Postby SimbasGuard » August 12th, 2016, 8:00 am

The belief that female action figures don't sell as well as male ones is not just a Disney/Marvel belief, but rather the toy industry as a whole. Although apparently according to sales numbers Female figures do not sell as well as male ones. However this has caused the toy companies to then shy away from doing female action figures. One or two in a wave if you are lucky.

Super hero teams in general also tend to have only 2 females, in opposed to 5 Males.

In truth when I first saw Ono I thought he was a female. I was surprised to find that he is a male.

I would not mind another female member of The Lion Guard, but rather change anyone's gender I say just add another female member to The Lion Guard. Granted a new member would not fill one of the five positions that The Lion Guard represent, but a new member for the team would not be a bad thing.
Last edited by SimbasGuard on September 5th, 2016, 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby Carl » August 12th, 2016, 9:49 am

I honestly like all of the characters as their current genders, and I think switching any of the existing Guard members would have been a bad move. However, they could have created one or two more positions in the Guard; for example The Wisest (good for strategizing) and The Stealthiest, among a plethora of other possibilities, and made those roles be female characters.

They didn't, and while it's not fair, I at least find the Guard to all be likable so. That's something, anyway.
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby PrincessKiara » August 12th, 2016, 11:36 pm

I do of course realize that the writers aren`t going to change the gender of any character - and that`s fine, I just wish they had made a second member of the Guard female in the first place. But like it`s been stated, adding a new (female) member to the group is a great idea and could allow for a different dynamic.
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Postby SimbaPrescott » August 13th, 2016, 5:46 pm

I think Elton has pretty much hit the nail on the head here. Disney, for whatever reason, don't believe that boys like girls as much when it comes to toys.

I always thought Ono was going to be female. I know it was stylized art from a very early book, but:

But it doesn't really bother me. If they added a new member I wouldn't mind, but I'm okay with the Guard as they are.
Image is an Epic Mickey concept art. We could have had this in EM3. I still want it.
SimbaPrescott
I laugh in the face of danger.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

He told me no one could defeat me...

Nickname(s): Kari, Simba, Prescott
Pride Points: 27

Postby Squeely » August 18th, 2016, 6:21 am

Obviously, I don't actually think they're going to change the gender of any character. What's done is done - the genders are set in stone now. Messing with that could easily be viewed negatively by critics, too. I was merely speculating as to how I think a female Beshte could best have been done.

I also like the Guard a lot as-is. They're great characters regardless of gender.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby Sushi » August 21st, 2016, 4:55 pm

It is wrong to think that they will change a character now the series is up and running but they could add a new one to the guard. Personally I would like them to accept Jasiri but I can't see it happening. I really liked the fact they went to the trouble of showing that not all hyena are bad but i think they have abandoned a good thing with it just being a one off thing in a individual episode, so far.

[quote="moonsugar33"]I think any of the other characters would have been good as a girl, actually. I will confess I'm pretty fond of Beshte's voice, but I think literally any other character would have made a really good relatable and inspiring role model for girls.[/quote]

I can't explain why, its just a feeling that Bunga wouldn't have worked as a female character.
Just little things like his personality would have to be completely different to pass this off or him being adopted by Timon and Pumbaa. You know how they feel about girls.

[quote="Aelwen"]Female hippos are very large and strong too, Beshte could have been a female too.[/quote]
Maybe to do with a different film with a female hippo that was Dreamworks.

[quote="moonsugar33"]
I think the character that would actually benefit the most from a gender switch would be Bunga. I can tell you right now if I were a little girl watching this cartoon I would have loved to see a girl just as carefree, gross and gung-ho as I was in Bunga. (I actually had some pretty bad misconceptions about girls in general as a little one- mainly that they were weak and worthless- that I blame in part on not having enough strong role models)[/quote]
This is the other side to what I said above. I see your point and I know some girls can be like that. I am a Scout leader and you do see the split between girls that are "I broke my claw" and ones that see a puddle and shout "Mud fight!" before the lads even think of it.
I just think this maybe isn't the right target audience for that. Im no expert on the subject though.
Sushi

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Samaki
Telegram: @jagerleopard (https://telegram.me/jagerleopard)
Pride Points: 2

Postby zerodix » August 22nd, 2016, 1:47 pm

episode 113 "the magical gender swap of Fuli and Bunga - Bungi and Fula will make their 1st appeareance on this mindboggling episode about gender issues!"

not. a. chance.
missing the old deviantart...
zerodix
The Lion King remake

july 19th 2019

Pride Points: 19

Postby Elton John » August 22nd, 2016, 2:38 pm

If they do add a new female member to the guard I hope it's jasiri. That would mean

1: jasiri would show up in just about every episode.
2: having a canon hyena character who is allowed to live in the pridelands.

And

3: Some actual jasiri merch would be made.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Squeely » August 22nd, 2016, 2:40 pm

[quote="Elton John"]
3: Some actual jasiri merch would be made.[/quote]
Betting we'll get a blind bag of her, at least. And who knows, a nicer figure could get made as well. Janja has both, and I've seen pics of Mzingo and Makuu figures, too. I'd bet it's only a matter of time :)
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion Guard