Bunga: good or bad?

Re: Bunga: good or bad?

Postby Amadi_the_Guard » December 4th, 2015, 6:05 pm

Mm, it looks like Bunga annoyed a lot of people here, heh.

I actually really like him, and in fact, the adorable little thing is probably my favorite member of the guard. I suppose that the main reason for this is because, somehow, he reminds me a little of several characters from old Disney classics, like Thumper from Bambi for example. Even though I'm probably the only person who sees any resemblance there, it makes me feel nostalgic and therefore I got attached to this character rather quickly.
I also like his general design and character. Sure, he's not all that complex or anything, but this is a show for toddlers, and I believe that, having that in mind, he was pretty well thought-out. There's also more room for him to develop during the series, and we might find out what happened to his parents, why he's with Timon and Pumba, and so on... All in all, it just fits for me, and I feel that his creators were rather thoughtful when they decided to associate the honey badger with bravery seeing that even in real life, those guys are pretty brave and are known for attacking even stronger animals then themselves.
His catchphrase suits him too in my opinion, because he only uses it when he's about to do something stupid and hug, and it does feel like an only way to put his actions into words - while Kion's feels a bit forced, on the other hand. Other then that, I didn't really find Bunga all that obnoxious during the movie, because while he is reckless and ready to quickly and crazily jump into things, he was never downright rude or hurtful towards anyone, or even boastful. He doesn't even get angry when Kiara calls him stupid. In fact, he feels like a nice contrast to Kion, who seems to be a bit insecure at times and might need someone more dynamic like Bunga at his side to support him, and vica versa. Similarly, I believe that he might teach kids to be less doubtful of themselves and more ready to take up challenges in life but... that could be just me thinking everything over way too deeply. Oh, and one more positive thing is the Zuka Zama song, which I believe is rather catchy.

Still, I have a few complaints. While I absolutely love the way he was animated for the most part, his dancing during Zuka Zama looks just ridiculous to me. Like, why not just keep it simple, without all the pointless hand movements?
:roll: Oh well...
Amadi_the_Guard

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 8

Postby NaiaRulez » December 5th, 2015, 11:53 am

I obviusly like Bunga, I like his personality by being that brave and daredevil, and his squishy voice's cool xD In fact, I like him 'cause he reminds me of a friend that does the same things as him and has the same squishy voice xD So yeah, I really like Bunga :)
NaiaRulez

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Naia, Nai
Pride Points: 11

Postby Marizzle » December 5th, 2015, 2:25 pm

[quote="Amadi_the_Guard"]Still, I have a few complaints. While I absolutely love the way he was animated for the most part, his dancing during Zuka Zama looks just ridiculous to me. Like, why not just keep it simple, without all the pointless hand movements?
:roll: Oh well...[/quote]
I agree with nearly everything said by Amadi, apart from the Zuka Zama part. I really loved those "hand movements". Personally, I think they added more "hyper" to the song and they make me want to dance the same way. :lol:

But, yeah, I believe Bunga is quite a positive character as well. He has this "childish hyperactivity" that makes him a likable character and a great sidekick. He kind of reminds me of Simba, during the time he lived with Timon and Pumbaa. IMO, Bunga seems to have been educated the same "free way". His pride and courage is also a pretty nice touch, since, personally, I think these characteristics have been put in him in order to transmit them to children, in a moderate level. I also like his catchphrase and a few of his "funny lines" remind me of Timon's jokes, in TLK.
I don't think TLG would be as funny without him and I believe he kind of acts as an "ice-breaker" to the tension and "importance" of the job they all have, being The Lion Guard. Overall, yeah, I like his character and I believe he has a good and needed role in TLG universe. I approve Bunga by 100%. :)
Marizzle
Hope is the only thing

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Stronger than fear

Pride Points: 81

Postby Squeely » December 6th, 2015, 10:17 am

I'm willing to bet most people will grow to like Bunga. If MLP and Steven Universe are anything to go by, pilots and earlier episodes are kind of shaky. Give TLG (and by extension Bunga) time to find its stride. As for what I thought of him, I did find him a little annoying, but I'm taking that with a grain of salt because as I said, it's only the pilot. I do think he's otherwise a good character and expect to like him more as the series progresses.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby Shawry111 » December 7th, 2015, 1:57 am

Does anyone know how long the episodes on TV will be?
Signature made by Julie Skywalker, thank you so much!

"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Dumbledore
Shawry111
"Pinned ya again!"

Danger? I laugh in the face of danger, ha ha ha ha

Nickname(s): Shawry
Pride Points: 4

Postby Troll Berserker » December 7th, 2015, 6:09 am

I don't mind Bunga that much. The only character I dislike for now is Fuli, yet many people like her because of her species and appearance. I bet that if Bunga was a lion, a whole bunch of people who dislike him would find his now "annoying" behavior as "adorable".
Sorry, that's just my observation, but yeah, some people even admit that they only like characters because of their appearances, so it must be true.

I'm neutral-positive for Bunga. He didn't annoy me that much. I'm not crazy about him but I don't dislike him neither. He was okay and he served as a good supporting character when needed. He was funny at times, actually it's one of his scenes that is my favourite gag in ROTR.
[quote]"Wild lions do it!!" yes, but we're talking about a society of human-minded lions, not cub-eating beasts[/quote]
PREACH!

Image Image Image
"We've come to scream in the happy house
We're in a dream in the happy house
We're all quite sane"
Troll Berserker
A True Blooded Fantasy

I'm not the one that's so absurd

Nickname(s): Troll, TB
Pride Points: 15

Postby Squeely » December 7th, 2015, 2:23 pm

[quote="Shawry111"]Does anyone know how long the episodes on TV will be?[/quote]
I don't know for absolute sure, but 22 minutes is a good bet. Cartoon episodes are almost always 22 minutes, unless the show follows a different format or something.
Edit: And, RotR was 44 minutes long, which essentially makes it a double-episode premier. Most shows do double-episode premiers. Which is even more evidence that episodes will be 22 minutes long.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby Marizzle » December 7th, 2015, 3:23 pm

[quote="Squeely"]I don't know for absolute sure, but 22 minutes is a good bet. Cartoon episodes are almost always 22 minutes, unless the show follows a different format or something.
Edit: And, RotR was 44 minutes long, which essentially makes it a double-episode premier. Most shows do double-episode premiers. Which is even more evidence that episodes will be 22 minutes long.[/quote]
I thought exactly the same! :)
Marizzle
Hope is the only thing

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Stronger than fear

Pride Points: 81

Postby Shawry111 » December 9th, 2015, 12:56 am

Yes, good point!
Signature made by Julie Skywalker, thank you so much!

"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Dumbledore
Shawry111
"Pinned ya again!"

Danger? I laugh in the face of danger, ha ha ha ha

Nickname(s): Shawry
Pride Points: 4

Postby Sigurd » December 14th, 2015, 6:14 am

I didn't think he was that annonsinformation. There are many characters out there who are way more annonsinformation than Bunga.
Until I'm home, I'm on a distant road
Sigurd

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 14

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion Guard