Magic in a Mostly Natural World?

Re: Magic in a Mostly Natural World?

Postby DGFone » August 18th, 2015, 3:25 am

If all the whimsical stuff they add will be the roar, I won't mind too much. At the end of the day though, The Lion King universe is made to be very realistic. Anthropomorphic lions, yes, but still believable - stemming from the original pitch for The Lion King to be a animated "Discovery Channel nature style documentary". Just go and read some of the early scripts - they are a lot less friendly, and for a lack of a better word, more realistic than even the final movie is.

Mufasa's ghost came from the fact that they adopted it in from Hamlet, a base for a lot of ideas for the script - and it was the last scene added into the movie. So in many ways, the less-natural things are later additions, but still only sprinkled in sparingly.

So I really hope that TLG will not go all in with the magic stuff and leave it rather mundane. Besides, it will be much more interesting to see Kion and the guard have to deal with problems when they mostly have their own strength and cunning to solve problems, rather than the power of some Mighty Up Above.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Elton John » August 18th, 2015, 3:30 am

Yeah. I can see each member of the guard having one unique special ability. Leaving it at that.

I like watching superhero movies. The fun doesn't come from not knowing what will happen, because everyone knows that spider-man will save the day. The fun comes from guessing how they will save the day.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby gothprincesskiara » August 18th, 2015, 3:38 am

Wait :peeky: ....I just had an idea of a possibility...................THE LION GUARD DISNEY COMIC BOOKS :glee: :cheese: :nukasupergrin: :ecstatic: :excited2:
Want to RP with me? Want to join my Pride on Facebook? Click the Facebook Icon.
https://www.facebook.com/queengothkiara ... fekingdom/

Check out the TLK/TLG Merchandise Page on Facebook, like and follow, and tell other fans about it.
https://www.facebook.com/The-Lion-King- ... 165042753/

James Camerons AVATAR FANS PLEASE like my Avatar page if you want to RP on the planet of Pandora, im trying get to more like to grow my page, please help me.
https://www.facebook.com/Amiryat-from-A ... 805499620/
gothprincesskiara
I live by the Circle of Life

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

We are all connected in the great Circle of Life

Nickname(s): Kiara
Pride Points: 93

Postby Elton John » August 18th, 2015, 3:44 am

It surprises me that Disney hasn't expanded Marvel to make comics based on their animated properties.

Disney has worked with Marvel back in the 90's, making comics based on their animated features. Yes, there's one on tlk....I have it and it's a bland retelling of the first movie.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby SimbasGuard » August 18th, 2015, 5:00 am

I agree with gothprincesskiara and Elton John. I expect each member of The Lion Guard to have a superpower, but like Kion's Roar of the Elders, it will be some sort of boost from The Great Kings that will merely enhance each Guard Members natural talent.

For example I believe that Fuli's power will enhance her speed and the distance she can sprint. I expect Ono will have enhanced vision or perhaps because he is described as an intellectual,he will be able to make fast tactical analysis of any given situation.

Also since it said that the one of the shows themes would be problem solving, I think that it is a safe bet that The Lion Guard won't always be able too rely on their powers to solve every problem. It has been suggested in another thread that perhaps The Lion Guard's powers have some type of limit on them. Perhaps they can only them once a day or something like that.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby Yumacub » August 19th, 2015, 2:19 am

[quote="DGFone"]If all the whimsical stuff they add will be the roar, I won't mind too much. At the end of the day though, The Lion King universe is made to be very realistic. Anthropomorphic lions, yes, but still believable - stemming from the original pitch for The Lion King to be a animated "Discovery Channel nature style documentary". Just go and read some of the early scripts - they are a lot less friendly, and for a lack of a better word, more realistic than even the final movie is.

Mufasa's ghost came from the fact that they adopted it in from Hamlet, a base for a lot of ideas for the script - and it was the last scene added into the movie. So in many ways, the less-natural things are later additions, but still only sprinkled in sparingly.

So I really hope that TLG will not go all in with the magic stuff and leave it rather mundane. Besides, it will be much more interesting to see Kion and the guard have to deal with problems when they mostly have their own strength and cunning to solve problems, rather than the power of some Mighty Up Above.[/quote]

I do agree with this, and thanks Julie for expanding knowledge on the subject. But I just hope to see it as 'magical' as the first two movies.

Anyone have any comparisons on The Lion Guard with TLK 1 & 1/2?
ImageImage
Yumacub
Queen of the Wildlands~

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Love is what it's all about! <3

Nickname(s): Yumi Yuma YC
Pride Points: 8

Postby SimbasGuard » August 19th, 2015, 7:15 am

[quote="Yumacub"]Anyone have any comparisons on The Lion Guard with TLK 1 & 1/2?[/quote]

I can already tell from what little we have seen that The Lion Guard takes itself more seriously than Lion King 1 1/2 did. Which is impressive considering that (at least in my opinion) Lion King 1 1/2 was targeted at a wider audience than The Lion Guard is. It is because of the seriousness of The Lion Guard that I am confident that that magic in the show won't be such a focal point that Kion will start casting spells.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby crownofsimba » August 20th, 2015, 6:57 am

I don't see the roar itself as being unusually magical though. We already know that ghosts can appear, and if we go by SP then they can also communicate with Rafiki. Not to mention where Rafiki knows Simba is alive in a manner that must include some supernatural influence. The universe has always had a level of low natural magic to it (as in magic as its practiced in the real world, not throwing spells around or what-not). There are lots of heroes who have had supernatural powered voices in stories that have more natural magic.

I think its that this is a bit flashier, and people tend to see flashy stuff more as magic than the subtler stuff, but the magic has always been there.
crownofsimba

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 5

Previous

Return to The Lion Guard