Will the show be canon?

Re: Will the show be canon?

Postby Adofo » June 3rd, 2015, 7:04 am

Really, unless the original creators of the first film, say that The Lion Guard is canon to the timeline, I'm not counting it as in-line with the movies. And Honestly, I don't know why, But I'm not comfortable with Simba and Nala having another cub. I like Kopa because he's kind of a mystery and Kiara because....well Simba's Pride. But honestly, I've never liked the look of Kion from the get go. His mane is odd with him having bright red with highlights. And then the Paw print/Lion head birthmark. It just doesn't...."fit" the rest of the series for me. Please don't think I'm bashing TLG. I'm just saying, I'd feel 100% more comfortable if the show is non-canon.
Whether man or animal, everything is connected in the great circle of life, so we are all one!
Youtube Channel | My Game List | DeviantArt
Video Game Usernames: show
If you add me on any of these, PM me on MLK first so I know who you are. If you don't, I will delete it.
Adofo
Brother of Simba

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Son Of Mufasa and Sarabi

Nickname(s): Dofo, Dr. Cody, Dr. Dofo
Pride Points: 53

Postby SimbasGuard » June 4th, 2015, 12:44 am

[quote="Adofo"]Really, unless the original creators of the first film, say that The Lion Guard is canon to the timeline, I'm not counting it as in-line with the movies.[/quote]

I get what your saying Adofo, But Disney itself has been through a regime change since the first Lion King. I very much doubt that any creator from The Lion King will bless The Lion Guard in this way.

For Me the marks of canosity for this series are these: Is it made by the same company? [Yes]

Does This Series make an attempt to place itself within The Storyline established by the previous movies? As far as we know [Yes]

Does this series take itself at least somewhat more seriously than Lion King 1 1/2 did? As far as we know [Yes]

I think the problem people have with Simba And Nala having another cub is because they are looking at the situation in real time. I know 17 years have passed in the real world since Lion King 2, however I very much doubt that much time will have passed in the world of The Lion King. I personally think that for The characters we know and love, only a year at the most will have passed. I also doubt that any reference to the actual year will be made. None of the other Lion King movies mention what year it is.

To the Kopa lovers. I understand Kion's existence crushes any chance there was of Kopa ever being lifted out of his Sub-Canon character status. However that does not erase Kopa's existence as a character and Kopa fans can still keep him in whatever special place of their hearts that he resided in before.

As for the way Kion looks, his mane does resemble his Great Uncle Scar. From the audition that was heard, that is a point that might be addressed.

From what little we have to go on I think The Lion Guard has astounding potential for a preschool series. The series being canon will only make it more enjoyable to me.
Last edited by SimbasGuard on July 18th, 2015, 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby Adofo » June 4th, 2015, 1:01 am

I'm not arguing with you, SG so please don't take it badly! But to me.....I say it can still go either way. I mean really, think about this. If the creators of The Timon and Pumbaa show said THAT series was canon.....would you believe that?(They couldn't even get the colors right! Especially for Simba. HOW HARD WAS THAT?! They could have literally pulled up a pic of him from the movie and copied his colors. Lazy.) I really hope they don't say THAT series was SOMEHOW canon. They'd have to be mentally insane. But one thing I really need to point out. Besides The Lilo and Stitch series(because they intentionally set it up to be canon to the movies) how many other Disney TV spin-off series have been canon? All of the ones I've seen are more cartoony than the movies at times. Probably the closest one to being canon is the Tarzan and Jane TV series. But still even that one seemed a little too far fetched to be considered canon from time to time. I'm not trying to bash ANYONE or The Lion Guard. I'm just trying to get people who think "OH YEAH! This is gonna be the best thing ever! FINALLY THE NEXT CHAPTER IN THE LION KING SERIES!!!" and then it's a little bit too childish than we all expected and fans are disappointed about it. I'm just not wanting others to think so highly of TLG and then when it comes out, they be all like, "Meh. Could have been better." Because I mean this IS Disney we are talking about. There has been crap they have made in the past just for the payout. Sad but true(*METALLICA PLAYS!!!*). And also, one thing a lot of people haven't considered is that TLG could be cancelled all together! I mean, that gecko movie they were doing with Pixar. It looked great from what we saw! But then they just said, shut it down! Throw it all away! For basically no reason. So until the very second TLG TV movie airs, Be Prepared(see what I did there!?) for anything and everything!
Whether man or animal, everything is connected in the great circle of life, so we are all one!
If you add me on any of these, PM me on MLK first so I know who you are. If you don't, I will delete it.
Adofo
Brother of Simba

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Son Of Mufasa and Sarabi

Postby Carl » June 4th, 2015, 1:10 am

[quote="Adofo"]If the creators of The Timon and Pumbaa show said THAT series was canon.....would you believe that?[/quote]

That show deliberately contradicted the movies. Thus, it is not canon. I don't think it was meant to be taken seriously or considered canon ever. Also, the other TV series Disney has made are irrelevant. Most of them were made a long time ago and probably don't matter. The only ones that have any relevance to this discussion are Jake and the Neverland Pirates and Sofia the First.

[quote]people who think "OH YEAH! This is gonna be the best thing ever! FINALLY THE NEXT CHAPTER IN THE LION KING SERIES!!!"[/quote]
Literally no one on this website has acted like that. Everyone is cautious of it and simply hoping for the best. Some people have said "I don't care if it sucks, I'll watch it anyway, yay TLK" but no one here has reacted how you've described.

The thing is, whether you like it or not, they are setting this up as a continuation of the movies. That means they intend for it to be canon. You can cry about it all you want, it changes nothing. Maybe the show will suck, I can't say what the quality will be yet. But they intend for it to expand on the movies in the timeline. They intend for it to be canon. That much is obvious.

Also, if you're so uncomfortable with the idea of Kion, don't watch it. But I really don't see how he can possibly be worse than Kopa. And I find it very silly to think it's only okay for Simba and Nala to have two cubs if one of them is Kopa. Lions normally have a lot more than one or two cubs.
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby Adofo » June 4th, 2015, 1:17 am

Julie, I didn't say anyone on this site. I was just doing those as an example. And I NEVER said I don't like or even hate TLG. And plus, just because of they said it's a continuation of the movies, that is not automatically make it canon. They can make a TV series that takes place after SP and it can not be canon as well. I'm not trying to argue with you. I'm really not! I'm just trying to get people to not set their expectations too high and then they be crushed if there is a sudden left turn. And you know what? .....What you said really hurt. :cry:
Adofo
Brother of Simba

Son Of Mufasa and Sarabi

Postby Carl » June 4th, 2015, 1:53 am

[quote="Adofo"]Julie, I didn't say anyone on this site.[/quote]
If you're saying it for those people, and they aren't here (maybe don't even exist) then why say it?

[quote]And I NEVER said I don't like or even hate TLG.[/quote]
I didn't say you did.

[quote]And plus, just because of they said it's a continuation of the movies, that is not automatically make it canon.[/quote]
Official continuations are canon.

[quote]I'm just trying to get people to not set their expectations too high and then they be crushed if there is a sudden left turn.[/quote]
Everyone I've seen talk about it agrees. No one is setting their expectations high.

[quote]And you know what? .....What you said really hurt. :cry:[/quote]
How? Nothing I said was even remotely attacking you or anything of the sort. All I did was provide valid counterpoints to the things you brought up.
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Postby crownofsimba » June 4th, 2015, 2:10 am

I mean you get your headcanon? Like your personal canon is your canon and thats why its yours but I don't get why you're so concerned about this if you're just going to declare it noncanon in your own canon?

I mean like we don't have de jure canon but the de facto TLK + SP + TLG is pretty clear cut.

So like you don't agree with canon, most TLK fans don't, heck I don't, but like there is a de facto canon and its those 3 works combined.

And like if you want Kopa, fine. I have Kopa in my canon (although he's dead and functions mainly as Kiara's spirit advisor but still), but like, he's not in the canon. Kiara is firstborn. She's going to be called firstborn. If that bothers you the best you can do is mentally substitute "eldest" or something, when I write my fanfiction (which is set in my personal canon) that's what I'll be doing.

Also I'm pretty sure Kion will fit TLG's style pretty well, since they seem to be going for more vivid colors, but Simba and Mufasa's manes were pretty bright red too.
crownofsimba

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 5

Postby Adofo » June 4th, 2015, 2:13 am

For 1: Because they may not be on this site, but I wanted to point out there are others like that.

For 2: You said I can cry about it and that don't have to watch it just because of me being uncomfortable with Kion. It just sounds like you're making it look like I say I don't want the show to exist in any way, shape or form.

For 3: No one said it's an official continuation. They just said it takes place after where LK2 left off..

For 4: Again, not people on here. But still I've seen some people on here get super excited to get just a little info about the show and then they point out how it will probably make the show shift closer to being canon.

And for 5: You're saying it like you're yelling at me. That's what hurts me. I just can't read what you said in any nice sounding way. I'm not meaning to make you look like the bad guy here. But it really does hurt me when I read that I'm crying and that you're making it sound like I'm annoying everyone on here with my thoughts about the show and that everyone knows how I feel about it.

AND FOR EVERYONE, I am NT saying TLG shouldn't be canon or even non-canon. I think it would be best for it to be declared neither. That way it depends on the fan that it's canon to them or not. So that everyone is happy.And I am NOT saying Julie is bad or mean. Just to me, it sounds like she's trying to make her opinion overrule mine. And it's her opinion. I have no issue with that. The one and only problem I have is that.....it just feels like she's yelling at me.....and I've already made her mad at me for things in the past that started as friendly conversations but ending in fighting. And I want to point this out again that Julie IS NOT bad! If anything.....it's my own fault for upsetting her. I just try to help this site in any way that I can just because I love The Lion King and that this is my favorite website of all time and I want it to be the best it can be! But with things like this, it just shows that I shouldn't try to help. I just make things a lot worse. Because of all of this, I probably lost Julie as a friend......and I deserve it. Julie.....I know it probably doesn't mean anything now.......but I'm sorry for anything and everything I have ever done to upset you. I'd never want to do that to a friend.......but I blew it. ....I'm sorry.
Adofo
Brother of Simba

Son Of Mufasa and Sarabi

Postby Adofo » June 4th, 2015, 2:29 am

Everyone, disregard EVERY bad thing I have ever said about Julie. ....I see now that I was the problem. Not her. ...It was never her. .....All I am is a big stupid jerk. And I'm sorry, Julie! I never wanted any of this. I'm so sorry...
Adofo
Brother of Simba

Son Of Mufasa and Sarabi

Postby Carl » June 4th, 2015, 2:31 am

[quote]For 3: No one said it's an official continuation. They just said it takes place after where LK2 left off..[/quote]
They're the company that creates it, if they release it the way they seem to be planning, it's official. They don't have to say it.

[quote]And for 5: You're saying it like you're yelling at me. That's what hurts me. I just can't read what you said in any nice sounding way. I'm not meaning to make you look like the bad guy here. But it really does hurt me when I read that I'm crying and that you're making it sound like I'm annoying everyone on here with my thoughts about the show and that everyone knows how I feel about it.

AND FOR EVERYONE, I am NT saying TLG shouldn't be canon or even non-canon. I think it would be best for it to be declared neither. That way it depends on the fan that it's canon to them or not. So that everyone is happy.And I am NOT saying Julie is bad or mean. Just to me, it sounds like she's trying to make her opinion overrule mine. And it's her opinion. I have no issue with that. The one and only problem I have is that.....it just feels like she's yelling at me.....and I've already made her mad at me for things in the past that started as friendly conversations but ending in fighting. And I want to point this out again that Julie IS NOT bad! If anything.....it's my own fault for upsetting her. I just try to help this site in any way that I can just because I love The Lion King and that this is my favorite website of all time and I want it to be the best it can be! But with things like this, it just shows that I shouldn't try to help. I just make things a lot worse. Because of all of this, I probably lost Julie as a friend......and I deserve it. Julie.....I know it probably doesn't mean anything now.......but I'm sorry for anything and everything I have ever done to upset you. I'd never want to do that to a friend.......but I blew it. ....I'm sorry.[/quote]
As I've told you more than once, I'm not yelling at you. Also, keep this stuff that isn't on topic out of the thread. It's firstly not true, and second of all, not relevant to the discussion. You're seeing things that aren't there. Yes, I know my posts can appear rude, but they aren't like that towards just you. I'm blunt. That's all. I'm not mean, I'm not angry at you about your opinions of the show, all I am doing is providing a logical perspective. I'm pointing out what are facts and what appear to be facts; nothing more. Calm down, it's not a big deal.

And don't double post, either. You can get into trouble for that.
Carl

Welcome to Carlmunism.

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion Guard