Will the show be canon?

Will the show be canon?

Postby Adofo » May 22nd, 2015, 2:49 am

First off, I just want to say that pretty much all fans of The Lion King that are having any negative feelings about The Lion Guard, is that they are worried that this series will change the timeline about The Lion King and Simba's Pride. (Even though it'd be extending it) But the point is they don't want their view of The Lion King changed. Especially for a TV show on Disney Junior. And personally, in my opinion, if the creators of the show just officially state something like "The Lion Guard is NOT canon to the first two movies" then everyone would be okay with it! Then the fans wouldn't care less what happens in the show! What they are all worried about is, maybe not even at first, but somewhere in the shows lifetime, it'll go more cartoony or be set a little bit more towards preschoolers as it goes on. And I don't blame them. I know from the info we have right now, it seems like an okay show. Not great, but okay. But Since we know so little, that could all change. And it could even change as they are making it. Like the first season of TLG could be good and fairly true to the movies. But then to get ratings up for season two, they dumb it down for the main audience (little kids and preschoolers). ANd the problem with that is no matter how you slice it, IT'S JUST BUSINESS. A LOT of shows have drastically changed the way their shows are just so they can get better ratings and stay on longer to get more money. And that's the bottom line. And that's what's scary if you don't want it to be canon to the story and Kion and his gang talk to the viewer to help find that one tree that they could just turn around and find themselves. Sorry I'm rambling. The point is, if they said The Lion Guard is an extension of the movies, but it's not on the official canon timeline, then EVERYONE would be fine with that. That way TLG can do what it wants(with the benefit of not being tied down so much to the movies expectations), the kids have a good show to watch and long time fans won't have their view on the whole Lion King timeline messed with!
Personally, I don't want this show to be canon. At all. I don't hate the show, I just want the original story of the movies to be left alone. ANd like I said, if this show isn't canon, they can do whatever and I won't care! But in any case, I'm still going to buy all the episodes and the movie when they come out and watch them.
But what do you guys think? Do you want the show to be canon to the movies? What's you opinion?
Also just because they said something a while back(I don't remember the quote word for word) that was like 'it will extend from the movies' That doesn't mean it's canon. I can write a fan fic and say the exact same thing and that doesn't mean it's suddenly canon. It just means they are continuing from where the movies left off.
Whether man or animal, everything is connected in the great circle of life, so we are all one!
Youtube Channel | My Game List | DeviantArt
Video Game Usernames: show
If you add me on any of these, PM me on MLK first so I know who you are. If you don't, I will delete it.
Adofo
Brother of Simba

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Son Of Mufasa and Sarabi

Nickname(s): Dofo, Dr. Cody, Dr. Dofo
Pride Points: 53

Re: Will the show be canon?

Postby crownofsimba » May 22nd, 2015, 3:27 am

I don't think Disney particularly cares about canon status for this type of thing.

Like some shows like Adventure Time or Steven Universe will give thought to that type of thing because they acknowledge that the older fans (the ones who care about canon) watch the show.

This is a show aimed at 3 and 4 year olds, who don't really care about canon, and so I doubt they will care enough to declare anything officially at any point.

As for whether it will be seen to be canon by the fandom, that depends on the quality and where it is placed in the timeline, and even with those there will be people who consider it canon and people who don't. I imagine it will be somewhat like 1 1/2, although with somewhat higher approval since its not going to be based primarily in comedy.

But again it will be entirely up to the fandom, since there is no real "official canon," like there is for, say, Star Wars. There's just what people decide on their own.

Which I honestly like better, since it lets people have more control over what they like and want in their vision of the universe and what they dislike. A lot of the intrafandom conflict would just go away if people didn't get so worked up over what is "canon" and what isn't, and realize that the creators aren't attempting to create a logically put together universe, they're just making stuff with these characters. Especially since everything is made without the expectation of a sequel, so there are going to be gaps.

The only way I can see an official canon coming about would be if TLG referenced things that happened in the comics. Otherwise I expect it will just use the original movie and SP.
crownofsimba

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 5

Postby Kash » May 22nd, 2015, 3:14 pm

[quote="crownofsimba"]I don't think Disney particularly cares about canon status for this type of thing.

Like some shows like Adventure Time or Steven Universe will give thought to that type of thing because they acknowledge that the older fans (the ones who care about canon) watch the show.

This is a show aimed at 3 and 4 year olds, who don't really care about canon, and so I doubt they will care enough to declare anything officially at any point.

As for whether it will be seen to be canon by the fandom, that depends on the quality and where it is placed in the timeline, and even with those there will be people who consider it canon and people who don't. I imagine it will be somewhat like 1 1/2, although with somewhat higher approval since its not going to be based primarily in comedy.

But again it will be entirely up to the fandom, since there is no real "official canon," like there is for, say, Star Wars. There's just what people decide on their own.

Which I honestly like better, since it lets people have more control over what they like and want in their vision of the universe and what they dislike. A lot of the intrafandom conflict would just go away if people didn't get so worked up over what is "canon" and what isn't, and realize that the creators aren't attempting to create a logically put together universe, they're just making stuff with these characters. Especially since everything is made without the expectation of a sequel, so there are going to be gaps.

The only way I can see an official canon coming about would be if TLG referenced things that happened in the comics. Otherwise I expect it will just use the original movie and SP.[/quote]

I agree^

Take a look at Jake and the Neverland Pirates. It's not canon to the Peter Pan movies at all. The only thing that connects it to said movies are the appearances of Captain Hook and Occasionally Peter Pan himself. Otherwise it's just a big debauchery on the history of Pirates dumbed down for preschoolers.

Meanwhile the other percentage of fans are more upset over Kopa not being canon than being canon to the films. He was never created by Disney anyway. Why would they put him in the show?
Kash

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 2

Postby SimbaPrescott » May 22nd, 2015, 4:26 pm

[quote="crownofsimba"]But again it will be entirely up to the fandom, since there is no real "official canon," like there is for, say, Star Wars. There's just what people decide on their own.

[/quote]
I agree with this.

I've never understood what the big deal is with canon and non. I've seen people who don't even believe SP is canon due to inconsistencies, the whole Kopa issue, Mheetu, etc. And some people pick and choose which characters exist in their own canon from different timelines. I doubt that Disney will care about ruining someone's canon if it generates income for them.

Personally, I'm not bothered by it.
Image is an Epic Mickey concept art. We could have had this in EM3. I still want it.
SimbaPrescott
I laugh in the face of danger.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

He told me no one could defeat me...

Nickname(s): Kari, Simba, Prescott
Pride Points: 27

Postby gothprincesskiara » May 22nd, 2015, 5:38 pm

My question, is once this new generation of 2-7 yr olds waches this show for the first time, they will figure out and discover about the original films, and probably have many questions, depending on if its canon or not, but it also leaves me to hope they will re-release the films again.
Want to RP with me? Want to join my Pride on Facebook? Click the Facebook Icon.
https://www.facebook.com/queengothkiara ... fekingdom/

Check out the TLK/TLG Merchandise Page on Facebook, like and follow, and tell other fans about it.
https://www.facebook.com/The-Lion-King- ... 165042753/

James Camerons AVATAR FANS PLEASE like my Avatar page if you want to RP on the planet of Pandora, im trying get to more like to grow my page, please help me.
https://www.facebook.com/Amiryat-from-A ... 805499620/
gothprincesskiara
I live by the Circle of Life

We are all connected in the great Circle of Life

Nickname(s): Kiara
Pride Points: 93

Postby Adofo » May 23rd, 2015, 2:29 am

To GPK, they will. Whenever a new disc format comes out, or an anniversary edition, is when they re-release their movies.

and to the rest, i agree with you there! I never really thought about it like that!
Whether man or animal, everything is connected in the great circle of life, so we are all one!
If you add me on any of these, PM me on MLK first so I know who you are. If you don't, I will delete it.
Adofo
Brother of Simba

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Son Of Mufasa and Sarabi

Postby SimbasGuard » May 23rd, 2015, 2:37 am

With what Little evidence we have I believe Disney wants The Lion Guard to be cannon. They have stated that Kion is Simba And Nala's 2nd cub and that Kiara is the future Queen of The Pride Lands. I feel like they are trying to place The Lion Guard within the continuity(and therefore canon) of the previous two movies.

As for why I want The Lion Guard to be cannon, Well my dreams are big and highly unlikely. However if The Lion Guard is cannon as I believe it will be, and is a success. Disney could then expand upon the idea we could actually see Kion and The Lion Guard grow up some and play a significant part in a Theatrical Lion King sequel.

As far as the series taking a downward turn after the first season, Well I don't really see the point in worrying about that until we see what the first season has to offer.

Also how would The Lion Guard being canon (Assuming that it is set after Lion King 2) Ruin the existing cannon for anyone?
Last edited by SimbasGuard on July 18th, 2015, 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby Adofo » May 23rd, 2015, 2:45 am

Well it wouldn't ruin it, technically. Fans like me just like the idea of them having one cub, Kiara. Or possibly the second being Kopa. Basically, if its not in the movies, it's not okay for it to be canon. That's the jest of what all negative thinking fans are saying. It's nothing against the show. We just like where the movies ended. And that's where we want it to stay. (Canon wise)
Adofo
Brother of Simba

Son Of Mufasa and Sarabi

Postby Elton John » May 23rd, 2015, 2:54 am

Kopa wasn't in the movies. According to the creators the lion cub at the end of the first movie was nicknamed 'fluffy'. So your stating that it's okay for kopa to be canon, but if it wasn't in the movies that it shouldn't be canon is contradictory.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Adofo » May 23rd, 2015, 3:00 am

I'm saying IF they consider him canon. Cuz liked it's been said, it's up to the fans weather he's canon to the films or not.
Adofo
Brother of Simba

Son Of Mufasa and Sarabi

Next

Return to The Lion Guard