A review of TLK mentioning a big problem.

Re: A review of TLK mentioning a big problem.

Postby DGFone » January 13th, 2012, 6:05 am

[quote="FlipMode"]It is kind of true what he said, but remember the characters are lions not humans.
But also they are in shock, they JUST found out Simba killed his father, after he returned from a long hiatus....[/quote]

Not entirely true. The character may look like lions, but behave much more like humans. And I'm not talking about them... talking. Social aspect as well.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Flowertall » January 13th, 2012, 9:42 am

[quote="DGFone"]Not entirely true. The character may look like lions, but behave much more like humans. And I'm not talking about them... talking. Social aspect as well.[/quote]

Agreed, the characters are highly humanized. They have values, morals, and even beliefs, something completely unspeakable of in the animal world.
They hate each other`s guts
Flowertall

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 1

Postby FlipMode » January 13th, 2012, 11:03 am

[quote="DGFone"][quote="FlipMode"]It is kind of true what he said, but remember the characters are lions not humans.
But also they are in shock, they JUST found out Simba killed his father, after he returned from a long hiatus....[/quote]

Not entirely true. The character may look like lions, but behave much more like humans. And I'm not talking about them... talking. Social aspect as well.[/quote]

How is it "Not entirely true" that the main characters are lions? lol it is 100% true actually.
Of course they have personalities and beliefs, it would be a pointless film if they did not. But what I mean is, lions have a strong sense of pride and family, right? So based on that, maybe they weren't sure whether to side with Simba or not, I mean he did just admit to killing Mufasa. Or hey, lets go with what you were suggesting for a second and pretend they are all humans, now if I were a human in that situation, I would not really know who to believe either. Either way, the "flaw" can be accounted for.

I don't really think it is a big problem, or even much of a problem at all. It just looks to me like they weren't really sure what to do, rather than as the review said, letting him almost die. I mean come on, everyone knows who Doug Walker is, it is his JOB to find things like this and twist them in a way to make his viewers laugh while he swims to the bank in a river of advertising revenue.

I do see where you guys are coming from though, interesting point ^^
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Flowertall » January 13th, 2012, 10:39 pm

[quote="FlipMode"]I don't really think it is a big problem, or even much of a problem at all. It just looks to me like they weren't really sure what to do, rather than as the review said, letting him almost die. I mean come on, everyone knows who Doug Walker is, it is his JOB to find things like this and twist them in a way to make his viewers laugh while he swims to the bank in a river of advertising revenue.

I do see where you guys are coming from though, interesting point ^^[/quote]

But he was being perfectly serious while talking about this. Anyway, I don`t care about what a movie is trying to "teach" me, what I care about is the expression I`m getting after the movie is over. And the expression I always get after having seen TLK is "Wow", so that`s good enough for me.
They hate each other`s guts
Flowertall

Pride Points: 1

Postby FlipMode » January 14th, 2012, 12:19 am

Yeah what he was saying was in a serious-ish way but the point is still to make people laugh at it. I mean people who liked the film as a kid, and are now older watching that review will probably laugh at how they never noticed it before.
Like what he said in the Aladdin one about Arabia not looking like Arabia (Even though it is set in a fictional place name Agrabah) but its not really a flaw, you can just nit pick it for something to poke fun at, if you get where I am coming from? =)
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Ultra Fox » January 14th, 2012, 12:28 am

I love all of Doug Walker's work, especially as the Nostalgia Critic, but I didn't agree with most of the points he made in his TLK review that were negative. But I respect his opinion and view on the movie. I watched all of Disneycember and enjoyed it a lot. lol
Ultra Fox
lyING kInG!!!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

woRSt MoVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

Nickname(s): meem machine >;)
Pride Points: 97

Postby Pocahontas » January 21st, 2012, 8:52 pm

Hahaha when I first saw this thread I was all...Doug..hmm...OMG! The Nostalgic Critic! xD

I agree with NC, he has a strong point in there, even as a kid I thought it was odd, shouldn't Zazu have put it all together in his head, he was knocked out by Scar right when he was going to get help, and then suddenly Mufasa and Simba are dead. Seriously? :/
Pocahontas

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Average Nerd

Pride Points: 7

Postby KentuckyWildcat » January 21st, 2012, 9:30 pm

I have always wondered that about Zazu. My best guess is that he was in such a panic in that moment that he didn't even notice that Scar hit him. Once he woke up, he could have just assumed that he got in too much of a hurry and flew into the side of the cliff.
Come death. Come suffering. I will not live in fear. In this fleeting life where time escapes us, the path of least resistance is a slow quiet death. I'd rather burn out than fade away.
KentuckyWildcat
Mother don't you cry

Hell don't need me

Pride Points: 7

Postby SimbaKovu » January 21st, 2012, 10:15 pm

[quote="Regulus"][quote="Noahcs"]The issue that he said was a "BIG" problem was when the movie doesn't seem to support Simba when the he takes responsibility for his father's death.[/quote]

And he's got a point, too. Not only is it a moral flaw within the story, but it's a logical flaw as well. The lionesses were told that Simba and Mufasa both died in the stampede. Then Simba shows up and tells them they're wrong. That's a lot of conflicting information, and should set off a WTF response more than anything. But that's not what happens.

If I were to rewrite the ending, this is what would happen:
-Simba admits Mufasa's death is his fault
-The lionesses question how that's possible
-Scar is then exposed as the liar he is
-Scar and the hyenas fight against Simba and the lionesses
-The rest of the ending would be the same[/quote]

My version of the big reveal about Scar would be somewhat similar, except I'd have gone into a bit more detail about how Scar was revealed to be lying. Here's my version:
-Simba admits Mufasa's death is his fault
-The lionesses question how that's possible
-Simba explains about how his roar in the gorge started the stampede
-Nala asks why he was in the gorge to begin with
-Simba explains that Scar told him Mufasa had a surprise for him
-Sarabi confusedly explains that Mufasa hadn't told her about any surprise he was planning for Simba that day
-Simba says something along the lines of, "Well...then..." and looks angrily at Scar
-Simba questions why Scar had told him Mufasa had a surprise for him
-Scar breaks down, admits everything, screams "I KILLED MUFASA!!!" after being interrogated with several relevant questions, and the ending is essentially the same from there with the battle between the lionesses and the hyenas and between Simba and Scar.
SimbaKovu

Postby cleargreenwater » January 21st, 2012, 10:48 pm

[quote="KentuckyWildcat"]I have always wondered that about Zazu. My best guess is that he was in such a panic in that moment that he didn't even notice that Scar hit him. Once he woke up, he could have just assumed that he got in too much of a hurry and flew into the side of the cliff.[/quote]

That never bothered me because Zazu was facing away from Scar when he smacked him. It seemed very obvious to me, but I guess you have to really be watching the movie to notice it.

Edit: wow that sounds a lot brattier than I meant it, not meant to come out how it sounds on paper lol.
Last edited by cleargreenwater on January 22nd, 2012, 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------------------

The Event that BROKE MLK...

Avatar artwork of my character by NQN, commissioned & used with permission.
TLKFAA account: http://fanart.lionking.org/Artists/ClearGreenWater/?+
cleargreenwater
Submersible Hyena

...Surfaces Occassionally.

Nickname(s): CGW
Pride Points: 39

PreviousNext

Return to Other Information