My Lion King 3D review.

My Lion King 3D review.

Postby DGFone » September 19th, 2011, 7:22 am

My review on The Lion King 3D.
It might get a little more technical than others, and delves into more than just the movie itself. It's rather long, at two full pages, but I beg you to find the time to read the entire thing.

Yes, I know that SimbaGamer already created one, and there is at least one more topic about this, but my review is rather long and has some spoilers. So what I am doing is both uploading the actual file I created when writing the review, and also placing it here in a spoiler tag.

I recommend downloading the file, because it is formatted differently than what BBCode has to offer (Bullet points and such)

Spoiler: show
A long, slightly technical review of "The Lion King 3D" by DGFone.

So today I finally saw “The Lion King 3D” at my local theater. Having already seen this movie a few times in previous years, I came to see the movie to watch it on the big screen, but mostly to see how the 3D was transferred.

Before I fully go into the review, there are a few pointers I want to make:
In my opinion, the best way to watch a movie is at your own home. Here are the reasons why:
You know the people who are watching the movie with you, and therefore it is easier to loosen up and get more tied in with the movie.
These same people try not to talk. In a theater, it is very hard to see a movie where nobody talks, but at home, it is quite easy. Distractions from the real world take away from the movie experience.
If you want to talk, you will be frowned up in theaters. At home, talk all you want.
Sound systems in theaters, while good, can be easily beaten by home systems. A theater is a large room, and the sound is made to be directed at the center. At home, you can adjust speakers to a small area where you sit along with adding things that theaters might lack, such as good sub-woofers (low frequency audio).
At home, you can watch the movie as many times as you want while paying only once.
It's at home, with all the luxury and privacy that it offers. Once again, you can allow yourself to relax much more when you are not surrounded by strangers.

While 3D TVs are still expensive and rather unreliable, the technology is changing fast and in a few years, the big screen will no longer be the only 3D screen most people will use.
Despite their use now, the industry wants to move away from polarized glasses. If anything, they simply make everything just a tiny bit darker.

Anyways, on with the actual review:

I am glad that I was able to enjoy the movie. My greatest fear going in, is that, despite other's statements (which vary a lot), that the 3D would make the movie worse. The most popular statement is that the movie was converted well, and the 3D is well worth it.

For the most part, I agree. Where the 3D shines, it is very impressive. One astounding section is Mufasa's ghost scene, where it looks like Mufasa is in a tunnel made of clouds. Other good 3D scenes include the general backdrop: caves and other “depthy” areas actually look like they have depth to them. In the “betrothal” scene, the grass behind Simba and Nala looks like it's moving away from the viewer as though it were real life, but with an animated style.

The 3D effect also makes characters look like they are standing in an actual plane versus a two dimensional rectangle. It is very apparent when Mufasa confronts Scar in the beginning, where it looks like Mufasa is actually a bit further away than Scar.

But for most of the movie, the 3D creates another, entirely different thing: it makes you look at the entire screen, look at everything the animators drew, and see the big picture. Sure, it means that I saw a bad section in the stampede scene where the wildebeest have to avoid a rock, and suddenly turn to do so. (A by-product of their computer path finding). But I actually consider this an excellent thing: You are watching everything. You see those plants in the background that the animators labored over. You see the entire world, and the world feels alive because if that.

But the 3D is not perfect. One scene where the 3D really failed was in “Be Prepared”. When a hyena is playing 'piano' with some bones on a large elephant skeleton, the 3D makes it worse. In the 3D version, the hyena hits the skeleton, thus creating the noise featured in the song. On the other hand, the 3D version fails there. Instead of hitting the skeleton, the hyena is projected as being farther away, and is at best playing 'air piano' with two bones. That's right, the hyena misses the skeleton in the 3D version.

Another scene is where Zazu is imprisoned in the small cage by Scar. In the 2D version of the movie, the cage is in fact very small, barely large enough to hold the bird. The 3D effect doesn't make like that. Zazu is projected as much closer to the audience than the cage in the background, thus making it look like Zazu is in fact inside of a much larger cage than he really is.

Other 3D errors show up sometimes in the backdrops. Like I said before, the 3D effect can make the background look real. Other times, it makes it look like 2D images in a 3D field, as is expected from a 2D into 3D conversion. But just because it is expected doesn't make it acceptable necessarily.

Again, like I said before, the 3D makes it look like characters are in a 3D world. But again, sometimes it makes a mistake. Such as in one scene, I think it was in “I Just Can't Wait To Be King”, the 3D effect made a jarring picture of two characters standing on the ground, but the angle between them made it look like one was leaning over to the side Smooth Criminal style.

So in the end, the question comes down to this: What do I think of “The Lion King 3D”?

Well, despite all my grievances with the sections where the 3D failed, I still liked the movie and consider the 3D well done. It's not perfect by any means, but it still makes a better movie than say, Avatar, which was filed in native 3D, but had a horrible story.

Would I recommend you to watch “The Lion King 3D”? Yes an no.

Yes, you should definitely watch it! But on the other hand, keep a 2D version near bye. The 3D version is good, but sometimes the extra visuals are too much or too difference, and you will want to watch The Lion King as it was meant to be: in good old fashioned 2D.

And no, as in, if you can, don't watch in a theater. As I describe before the actual review, for me, the ultimate viewing experience is in your own home. So unless you don't have a 3D TV, (which most of you don't. Even I don't have one) go watch it in theaters once, and then wait until the technology matured enough for consumer 3D to become affordable.

Get the 3D and 2D Blue Ray versions and keep those. Get the 3D TV when you can (even if it's in a few years), and get a good audio system: surround sound, at least four speakers, and most importantly, sub-woofers. Then you will have, as I see it, the best The Lion King has to offer.

Thank you for reading this review.

Thank you for reading my review.
Attachments
TLK3Dreview.odt
Read this if you can.
(38.68 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
TLK3Dreview.doc
For those of you who can't read ODT files.
(24.5 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Re: My Lion King 3D review.

Postby TheLionPrince » September 19th, 2011, 1:45 pm

I didn't mind the length of your review at all, DGFone; it's the average length of all usual movie reviews. Even before the movie's release, I heard the 3D transition was good, but as you mentioned in your review, it has some hits and misses, which I would usually expect when going to see a 3D movie. And although I won't be seeing the movie in theaters, I will eventually see the 3D on the Blu-Ray 3D release of The Lion King which you mentioned is the best viewing experience.

Finally, although you mentioned the wildebeest stampede in your review, I wonder how good was the 3D in that scene? Was it at the edge of your seat compelling or was it just okay?
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby DGFone » September 19th, 2011, 6:03 pm

At the stampede scene, the 3D was actually not that visible. So while it's a missed opportunity in that the wildebeest didn't feel any closer to you than in the 2D version, at least the 3D conversion didn't ruin the moment by trying something gimmicky.

You get a limited sense of depth in the scene, but for the most part, it isn't too different than in the 2D version.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Postby SimbasGuard » September 19th, 2011, 10:34 pm

Very good review.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby DGFone » September 19th, 2011, 10:38 pm

Thanks, SimbasGuard! :)
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Postby FlipMode » September 19th, 2011, 11:18 pm

Yes! You my friend, need to be employed as a professional critic! This is by the far the most unbiased and well articulated review of the film so far.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts ^^
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby DGFone » September 20th, 2011, 1:39 am

^Thanks, Flip! I wrote this review so that people will read it, therefore I actually put some thought into it other than "Oh, it's the best thing eva!" or "It sux!".
If anything, I was expecting some hate for writing down criticism and bad points about it, but in the end, I am glad that people read my review and liked it.
Also, the only real reviews I watch/read tend to be the humorous but very offensive reviews such as the Nostalgia Critic. I knew that that kind of style will not work here, so I really had nothing to work with.

Thanks for the feedback! :)
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Postby TheLionPrince » September 20th, 2011, 2:03 pm

[quote="DGFone"]At the stampede scene, the 3D was actually not that visible. So while it's a missed opportunity in that the wildebeest didn't feel any closer to you than in the 2D version, at least the 3D conversion didn't ruin the moment by trying something gimmicky.

You get a limited sense of depth in the scene, but for the most part, it isn't too different than in the 2D version.[/quote]

Based on your statement, I feel a little disappointed the 3D transition was as good since the wildebeest stampede scene is one of the best scenes in the movie. :(
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby DGFone » September 20th, 2011, 6:08 pm

[quote="TheLionPrince"][quote="DGFone"]At the stampede scene, the 3D was actually not that visible. So while it's a missed opportunity in that the wildebeest didn't feel any closer to you than in the 2D version, at least the 3D conversion didn't ruin the moment by trying something gimmicky.

You get a limited sense of depth in the scene, but for the most part, it isn't too different than in the 2D version.[/quote]

Based on your statement, I feel a little disappointed the 3D transition was as good since the wildebeest stampede scene is one of the best scenes in the movie. :([/quote]

Yes, it is one of the best scenes. The 3D did not ruin it, but it really didn't change much either. So it still remains a great scene, but there was no real difference between 2D and 3D that I remember.
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Postby Panda-chan » September 21st, 2011, 1:11 am

Agreed for the most part. Excellent points you made, and great observational skills about the difference 3D made to various scenes in the movie. :) I actually didn't notice those myself; I was too drawn into the movie lol. But when the blu ray version gets released on DVD, I'm sure it will give fans plenty of time to scrutinize every added detail to the movie.
However, I believe that watching movies in the cinema does have its perks. In the one I went to, people were respectfully quiet and only really made noise during the intense scenes, when they were clapping. I prefer the cinema for the darkness, silence, and obvious surround sound. It all just adds to the epicness of the moment imo, and makes it a memory worth remembering. Also, it's great to watch a movie that means a lot to you with so many other people that enjoy it as much as you do. It just made me feel so...connected. :P But yeah, to each their own I suppose.
D̵̢̨̧̛͔̖͍̝̤̫̼̝̬̤̪̟͇͙̊̏̎͛̇̏͊͌̃̂̈́͂̒̄̅̚̚͘͝R̸̥̙͂̀̾̑̊̀̉́̀́̐̄̊̿̈́̄͑̐̕͝I̴̗̯̼̳͉͕̺̤̖̝̪̫̊͛͝͠Ǹ̵̨̧͈̮̦̖̝͈̥̗͕̭͉̺̲͕̥͔͎̹͖͙͇̲̘̩̞͓̦̦̯̮̙̜̼̝͈̣̺̰̺̟̙̫̫ͅK̶̢̢̡̧̢̛̻͎̘͉̦͚̳̗̱̗̮̫̲͎̟͚͖̠̣̺͎̠̤͈̩̞͈͚̣̳̟̣̓͊͊̍̀̇͆́͐̔̔̅̿̅̋̈̈́̔̈̒̌̆̃̇͗̂̐̽́͊̋͗̚̕͘͜͜͠͝͝ ̴̧̧̢̧̧̢̛̦̗̦̭͔̝͎̘͍͚͈̰̦̲͍̥͚̱͓̦̙̞̱̜̹̍̉́̿̃͆̆̾̀̍̊͛̈́̽̈́̀̋̒̾͗͗͂̾̊̇̃̈́̋́̓̄̂̐͊͂̏̿̅͂̚͘̚͜͠͝͠ͅͅͅͅW̵̢̧̨̥͇̳̩͍̪̓̉͊̓̏͜͠Ã̵̧̨͍͚̭̱̦̯̣͓̱̫͑͋̋̾̎͑̽̔̒͆̉͒͑͆̎͑̑̒͋̑̀̒̿͑̄͋̒͆̑͆̔̈̈́͂͆̾̾̌̃̏̊̓͘͜͝͠͠T̸̨̧̛̮̙̰͇̹̭̥̙̝̱̼̥͖̟̃̔̑̒̓̈́͂̈́̂̓̂̎̋͊̌͋̂͂̃̂͝͠͠͝ͅĘ̴̧̡̢̧̡̠͉͉͕̤̳̘̖̙̭͙͕̻͍̖̗͙̯͈͔͋̄̾̄͛͌͌͒͛̇̎͋̉̈́̆̈́̍̎̆̒͑̒̅̋̊̄̈̿͒̈̋̾̊́̔̚͝͠͝͠ͅŖ̸̠̫͓̞͈̫̉̂
Panda-chan

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

STAY HYDRATED, FOLKS

Nickname(s): Weeb trash
Telegram: 6834232905344686445634231897968563522324236894284563523722616678
Pride Points: 108

Next

Return to Other Information