Original Broadway Cast Recording

Original Broadway Cast Recording

Postby Moka » April 27th, 2009, 8:57 pm

I just bought this CD at Best Buy for 13 dollars or so. It's the best album I've ever heard! I love how well they perform the music. The best part was that they did not ignore any instrument, using instruments from classical music to African music and even electrical guitars in songs like Chow Down and Simba Confronts Scar. I could listen to this album over and over, the songs flow so well together and I can almost imagine the scenes that the songs are from. The album owes much credit to the composer Lebo M, who returned to help with the beautiful music and even recorded "The Lion Sleeps Tonight", and of course the other composers like Mark Mancina, Jay Rifkin and Julie Taymor (director). I think Hans Zimmer came back to help as well.

I would really suggest buying this album if you haven't already! For those who have it, what do you think of it?

It really makes me want to see the Musical :/
Moka
:D

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 138

Re: Original Broadway Cast Recording

Postby Majordomo » April 28th, 2009, 12:35 am

Heh, all Julie Taymor did as far as music goes was write the lyrics to Endless Night. 8-) I find it so amusing that they put her higher on the list than Hans, when Hans wrote so much already (Shadowland, Be Prepared, etc.)

My biggest complaint is the lack of trumpets. I really think they should've had one or two, especially for songs like "To Die For". If you listen to the movie version and then broadway's version, there's a remarkable difference. The French Horn taking over the trumpet parts just sounds too lyrical and flowing, and you really need a sharp brass sound at some of those moments. There also weren't any double reeds, but I didn't miss them too terribly.

However, I absolutely LOVE the percussion. If you think it's awesome on the CD, wait 'till you see the show. They adapt the boxes on either side of the stage for the percussionists, and you can watch them as they accompany the show. It was so much fun watching them go crazy in some of the songs.

All in all, I love the soundtrack. It's not perfect, but what is? The only 'problems' I have with it are inconsequential and minute.
Majordomo

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Because I said so

Pride Points: 0

Postby Zeke » April 28th, 2009, 12:38 am

Could you put up some of the music up on the main page? :D
"When the power of love overcomes the love of
power, the world will know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix
Zeke
Deeq

Pride Points: 18

Postby morri908 » April 28th, 2009, 1:36 am

Yay for having it.. it is amazing.. and you can find most of it on Youtube zeke.. :)
both siggies and avatar by Simba's Mate
No podemos cambiar el pasado, pero podemos dar forma al futuro
morri908

~Sarabi's Mate~ (was the first one... copy cat!)

Pride Points: 1

Postby Simba » April 28th, 2009, 7:51 pm

I agree with Majordomo, you should see it. at the theater I went to there were balconies that were lit enough so you could see the people playing drums and such! it's a totally different feeling when you're in there and it's around you than when you listen to the CD. completely breath-taking.

yeah, that could use some sharp brass. but I do wish there were double reeds. they should've been in there just to make sure you don't lose track of the Africa feeling in some parts.
THIS ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER IN USE
Simba

[inactive account]

Nickname(s): Simba,AJ,Amber

Postby Moka » April 28th, 2009, 10:49 pm

I don't know, I like how they mellowed it down. It seems more natural and elegant. I think the sharp brass might take away from the African feel of the musical. But since I haven't seen it...I wouldn't really know.
Moka
:D

Pride Points: 138

Postby YFWE » April 29th, 2009, 12:15 am

I absolutely adore this CD. As with Moka, it makes me want to see the musical in person!! The backing orchestra is phenomenal, and the performances leave nothing to be desired. My personal favorite would have to be the version of Shadowland, though Can You Feel the Love Tonight comes quite close as well--I love the interlude that is not there on other versions of the song. And Madness of King Scar is about as awesome as they come. :]
YFWE
Begger, stealer, borrower

Svanire

Pride Points: 29

Postby rachelanne » May 29th, 2009, 3:28 pm

Yes, I love this CD as well! However, I agree that they could have added some different instruments in that they had for the live play. The musical themes are great, since they remind me of the wonderful movie score, but they still are different and unique to the play. I listen to this CD a LOT haha and I have to say my favorite songs are "Shadowland" and "Endless Night." I like how they have the instrumental music from the movie and added lyrics and cool beats. The lyrics are really meaningful, and capture what the lions are feeling at the time when they don't really get to express it in the move. If you like the CD, go see the musical, it's amazing! :D
Image << by queenofthepridelands
Avatar thanks to queenofthepridelands
rachelanne

Circle of Life

Pride Points: 0

Postby LionKing4EVR96 » August 16th, 2010, 4:22 am

I will be getting the original cast recording and a bonus dvd with behind the scenes clips for only 13.99!! :D
LionKing4EVR96

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Krys, Luigi

Postby PrinceTaka » August 17th, 2010, 7:31 pm

The original cast is simply the best, I saw a CD, somewhere on the net with the new cast but now I don't seem to find it any more. :/

Anyhow it wasn't as good as the original one when I listened to samples. It paled in comparison to the old one.
PrinceTaka

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Next

Return to Other Information