Thrift Store Brag!

Thrift Store Brag!

Postby Akril » August 3rd, 2013, 11:59 pm

I visited a town in my county that has about a half dozen thrift/antique stores within three blocks of each other, with a huge indoor mall full of all sorts of old stuff. I noticed some bags of plastic toys on one shelf, then nearby I noticed another bag filled with some very familiar-looking toys...and this is what they turned out to be:
tlk-7-31-13.jpg

Except for the Burger King Kids' Meal Scar, all of these figurines are ones I never had before. (Finally -- a poseable Nala to go with the cub Simba action figure I still have!) I don't think I've ever seen TLK figurines in a thrift store, so this was a really lucky day for me. Just 10 fewer things that won't tempt me on eBay anymore...and all for just $5.00!

(By the way, if anyone is interested in this Scar, I'm willing to part with him -- I've already got two of him that I've been hanging onto since 1994!)
Signature art by Nala_91
Akril

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 22

Re: Thrift Store Brag!

Postby cleargreenwater » August 4th, 2013, 1:58 am

Oh man, I hear you on the Nala, she went great with the Cub Simba action figure :D

Personally, I still want to head-desk a little every time I see that Burger King Ed figurine.

For some reason in my region of the country the one playset with the full-size Ed action figure was never sold/marketed, so only the Shenzi & Banzai were available & I never knew a matching Ed existed until much later. Well, my friends & I all had "our" hyenas that we'd play whenever we played Lion King, and when we gamed using toys that Burger King figurine you have up there was the only option there was for Ed, so it became my mission that summer of 1994 to get that exact same little midget squeaky toy.

Wouldn't you know it, but I must've ate my weight in Burger King Kid's Meals that summer and the whole entire year those were out, never once got my damned squeaky toy? :edangry: :lol:

I had to buy that sucker from a flea market ages later :epicshenziface:

So I appreciate the sentiment of a long awaited Burger King triumph. Nice haul!
-------------------------------------

The Event that BROKE MLK...

Avatar artwork of my character by NQN, commissioned & used with permission.
TLKFAA account: http://fanart.lionking.org/Artists/ClearGreenWater/?+
cleargreenwater
Submersible Hyena

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

...Surfaces Occassionally.

Nickname(s): CGW
Pride Points: 39

Postby Loomi » August 4th, 2013, 2:08 am

Nice find! :-) I love that Mufasa and Simba cub figure.
Image Image Image
Everything you see exists together in a delicate balance.
As king, you need to understand that balance, and respect
all the creatures, from the crawling ant to the leaping antelope.
characters belong to me <3
Loomi

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Tends to fall over

Pride Points: 5

Postby Akril » August 4th, 2013, 8:37 am

[quote]Personally, I still want to head-desk a little every time I see that Burger King Ed figurine.

For some reason in my region of the country the one playset with the full-size Ed action figure was never sold/marketed, so only the Shenzi & Banzai were available & I never knew a matching Ed existed until much later. Well, my friends & I all had "our" hyenas that we'd play whenever we played Lion King, and when we gamed using toys that Burger King figurine you have up there was the only option there was for Ed, so it became my mission that summer of 1994 to get that exact same little midget squeaky toy.

Wouldn't you know it, but I must've ate my weight in Burger King Kid's Meals that summer and the whole entire year those were out, never once got my damned squeaky toy? :edangry: :lol:[/quote]
I hear you. The only toys my sister and I ever got were Scar and Rafiki. (The Ed I got doesn't squeak anymore...but hey, at least I've finally got it!)
Signature art by Nala_91
Akril

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 22

Postby Tsuki » August 4th, 2013, 11:53 am

Wow nice find! :D
[center]Image
Awards and Stuff: show
ImageImage
Shared with Rilliane
Sigs by Shadowfax, Nilla, Julie, Simba's Mate, Sophiecub, Tora, Flip and Buffy <333. Avatar by Kay <3
Tsuki

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 88

Postby mamaprince » August 4th, 2013, 11:57 am

Awesome Find Akril ! It's amazing what you can find at Thrift Stores.
Sig by Ninven on DA.
mamaprince
Future Storm chaser

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

It's the wonder of nature baby!

Nickname(s): Mp, Stormchaser Rachel, Rachel Storm
Pride Points: 18

Return to Marketplace