Lion King Card Guide

Re: Lion King Card Guide

Postby Ufasimba » April 25th, 2012, 5:30 am

Morrison's Disneyland Paris Anniversary Collection

Morrisons is a large food store chain in the UK and this promotion from 4 Mar - 29 Apr 2012, in conjunction with Disneyland Paris's 20th anniversary. They gave out packs of cards if you bought a certain ammount of specific products. It was a mixed series of 99 base cards, of which 11 were Lion King subjects. There were also 11 'Shiny' chase cards (one in each pack) which were identical to some base cards but with metallic borders and glossier finish. The cards have game style statistics on them, but no specific game was indicated or rules issued that I know of. The cards are a little narrower then standard size and measure about 2 1/4 x 3 1/2 inches. All cards have the identical design on back. The promotion started with the UK Sunday Mirror including 2 packs of cards with it's newspaper on 4 March. An Series Album was also available to purchase from the stores.

There were 'Redemption cards' also randomly inserted in the packs which showed a picture of a disney character stuffed animal, that could be turned in at the stores for an actual stuffed animal. I do not know yet if any were Lion King Redemption cards/Stuffed animals.

Foil Pack front and back
ImageImage

List of cards in series
I1 Scar
I2 Simba
I3 Rafiki
I4 Timon
I5 Simba and Nala
I5 Simba and Nala (Shiny chase card version)
I6 Pumbaa
I7 Zazu
I8 Nala
I9 Mufasa

All cards shown at approximate actual size.

Cards 11, 12, 13 fronts

Cards 14, 15, 16 fronts

Cards 17, 18, 19 fronts

Card 15 ('Shiny' chase version) and back (same for all cards)
ImageImage

The cards are fair quality, and it is good to have a new batch to collect. They are readily available on Ebay.
Ufasimba

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 3

Re: LK Card Collecting

Postby brandythelionkingfan » April 25th, 2012, 9:50 am

[quote="Ufasimba"]Image

Pepsico Disney Movie Slides Premiums

This is a series that was made by Pepsico Argentina in 1995. It covered six disney films with 12 miniature cell cards in each set. The cards are small at about 1 1/2 x 2 inches and made of plastic. They came as premiums in Pepsico snacks in Argentina. The cards are shown near actual size.

All 12 Lion King card fronts

All 12 Lion King card backs

One very cool feature of the series, was that somehow you could get Projectors that operated by two AA batteries. There were two Projectors for each series which stacked, so you could display the entire 12 cards. I haven't learned yet how exactly one got the projectors, whether you had to mail away with Proof of Purchases and/or a fee, etc. But from reading what little I could find on them, they do not seem to have been a store display piece. I haven't been able to locate a pic of an original snack with this series either.

Two projectors with cards

Projectors in the dark showing battery operated light inside

Tracking down this series has been fun. I have the cards now, and would like one day to get the Projectors, but I think I will have to do a lot of hunting and be patient for those. Fortunately I only need the Lion King pair. Though there are other Lion King cell cards, this is the only series that had a projector I know about and would be pretty unique.

Till next time!
Ufasimba[/quote]

WOW!! I wants :)
brandythelionkingfan

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 0

Postby MrTitans » April 25th, 2012, 4:43 pm

well thanks now i have to get these

Avatar: made by Shadow my mother<3 Siggy by Regulus, Jirani, Shadowfax, KristinaKiara and DatLioness.
MrTitans
Nalas true mate

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I still Want Nala

Nickname(s): GearsofWar, Gears, Mio
Pride Points: 19

Postby Ufasimba » April 26th, 2012, 4:09 am

AMC Theatre Card Promotion

This was a set of 16 unique Skybox cards given out at AMC theatres when the movie first opened in 1994. They came in clear packs of 3 cards and required a purchase of a Coke and Popcorn at the snack bar. I am not exactly sure yet if it was the 'Kids Pack' you had to purchase or just a large Coke and Popcorn. The cards were similiar to regular Skybox series I cards except for two details. The AMC cards had a small circle in top right corner with 'Card 1 of 16' etc, and in the bottom left corner, the AMC theatre and Coke logos.

Packs of three cards, front and back

Cards 1-6 front

Cards 1-6 back

Cards 7-12 front

Cards 7-12 back

Cards 13-16 front

Cards 13-16 back
Last edited by Ufasimba on May 3rd, 2012, 8:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ufasimba

Postby Saffyminty » April 26th, 2012, 10:57 pm

I have the types of cards above!!! I love them <3
Signature made by Sophiecub!!!
:mhm: :testify: :superexcited:
Lovely LIONESSES!!!
"If there's so much I must be
Can I still just be me
The way I am?"-Kiara
Saffyminty
Is really a Lioness

Live, Love, Laugh

Nickname(s): Rani
Pride Points: 6

Postby Ufasimba » April 28th, 2012, 10:52 pm

(Thank you all for your comments! It is really what makes it possible for me to keep at it. )

Series I Promo Cards

Promo is short for 'Promotional'. 'Promotional' can be used to describe cards issued in many ways, but usually when people use the word 'Promo' it means the cards used to advertize the card series itself. They normally come out well in advance of the cards. Generally the Promo card backs were done in a light green color rather then the dark green backs of the actual series.

Promo Card: SB1

This card was included in a goodie bag given to people attending Superbowl XXVIII, at Atlanta, in January 1994. It's one of the few valuable cards in the Lion King theme and would probably be worth a few hundred dollars, if you ever find one.

SB1 front
ImageImage

Skybox Promo Card

This is a very basic type of advertising card made by Skybox to promote upcoming card series they were manufacturing. This was given out at a card convention sometime in 1994.

Skybox Promo card front and back

Promo Card S1

This is probably the standard Promo card sent to retailers and card shops to advertize the upcoming series to try and get them to stock them for sale. It is a common card and may also have been given out at special functions (conventions, etc).

S1 front and back
ImageImage

Promo Card T1

This card was made specifically for 'Tuff Stuff's Collect!' magazine's July 1994 issue. The magazine was for collectors on Non-Sports cards and the card was given out bagged with the magazine in a special envelope. The front image is different, but the back is nearly identical to S1 except for the 'Tuff Stuff's Collect"' logo near the bottom right corner. I actually did not know that was there until working on this post! This is also fairly common card.

T1 front and back
ImageImage

Magazine and envelope front
ImageImage

Promo Card A1

This was issued in Australia instead of S1. It is nearly identical to S1 except it does not have the 'Premiering June, 1994" printed on it. The Premier date differed from country to country. It is also not hard to find.

A1 front and back
ImageImage
Ufasimba

Postby Ufasimba » April 30th, 2012, 10:10 pm

Nestle Bug Pop Magic Cards (USA)

This is a set of 4 mini card premiums issued in boxes of Nestle Bug Pops (popsicles with gummy bugs inside) in 1997. They tied in to 'The Lion King's Timon and Pumbaa' TV show. They are lenticular and measure 2 1/4 x 1 1/2 inches. They came in clear plastic wrappers.

Box front and back
ImageImage

Card in wrapper front and back
ImageImage

Card 1 front and back
ImageImage

Card 2 front

Card 3 front and back
ImageImage

Card 4 front and back
ImageImage

Cheerios Pop Up Cards (UK)

This was a set of 4 Pop Up card premiums that came inside Nestle's Cheerios in the UK in 1993. The back of the box had a note saying - "The Lion King" showing at cinemas from early October. The cards were made in Netherlands and are a little larger then standard, measuring 2 3/4 x 4 inches and are of good quality. Not sure how they were wrapped in package.

Box front amd back
ImageImage

Story about characters printed on back of box, including error about the Hyenas

Card fronts

Card backs
Ufasimba

Postby Ufasimba » May 3rd, 2012, 2:21 am

..........Guide is Inwork..........
Trying to post new cards every day or two.
Last edited by Ufasimba on May 3rd, 2012, 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ufasimba

Postby Ufasimba » May 3rd, 2012, 2:22 am

Calender Cards Theatre Premium (Thailand)

This is a series of Disney movie themed calender cards given out at theatres in Thailand. Some had the theatre logo and some did not. I do not know how long the promotion ran but have seen calenders dated from 1999 - 2002 at least. They are plastic and about credit card sized, measuring about 3 1/4 x 2 1/4 inches. I do not know if there are any more Lion King themed cards in the years besides 1999, but think these are the only three in the 1999 set.

Card fronts

Card Backs - all are identical, shown enlarged

Lion King Cards - Unknown Premium ? (Thailand)

This is an incomplete set of cards from Thailand. Haven't identified who made them and how you got them yet, though logo on front suggests it was a premium given with some product. There are two different numberings on each card. The first is in small circle at top right and is at least 1 -10, though the set may have gone to a higher number. The second set of numbers is in a red star in lower left and random as far as the set goes and has much higher numbers (like 815). I don't know what the second number means. The cards are just a little below standard size, measuring 3 1/2 x 2 3/8.

Cards 2, 4, 5, 7, 8 fronts

Cards 9, 10 fronts

Cards 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9 backs

Card 10 back
Last edited by Ufasimba on May 4th, 2012, 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ufasimba

Postby Ufasimba » May 4th, 2012, 12:46 am

Skybox Series I Base Set

Skybox produced the largest and most series of Lion King cards. Series I was issued around June 1994. These were standard sized cards that originally came in 8 and 16 card (Jumbo) packs. The packs came in boxes of 36 packs (8 card packs) and boxes of 24 packs (16 card packs).

CHARACTER CARDS (Subset)

Cards 66-75 front
Cards 66-75 back

THE CIRCLE OF LIFE (Subset)

Cards 76-82 front
Cards 76-82 back

ANIMAL HUMOR (Subset)

Cards 83-88 front
Cards 83-88 back
Ufasimba

PreviousNext

Return to Marketplace