Creating “Can You Feel the Love Tonight”

Creating “Can You Feel the Love Tonight”

Postby DGFone » March 4th, 2012, 8:59 am

I felt like compiling the creation of CYFLT into one place. I rather like how it came out, and here it is:

[quote]Creating “Can You Feel the Love Tonight”

“Can You Feel the Love Tonight” is by far one of the biggest songs to be included in Disney's 1994 The Lion King. It went on to be the most played, most remembered song out of all in the movie, and went on to even winning the 1994 Golden Globe and Academy Awards for Best Original Song. Needless to say, this song is quite big. But what can be even bigger? It's production.

In it's very early production, The Lion King was not even meant to be a musical like other previous Disney films. Instead, it was to be a sort of animated National Geographic special without much music at all, if any. And one day, the executive producer Thomas Schumacher sat down with lyricist Tim Rice, and the question came up of whether or not the movie can be a musical. Tim Rice's answer? Anything can be a musical. And with that, The Lion King underwent one of it's first major changes.

From there, Tim Rice suggested to add Elton John to the production team. Almost right away, the rock legend came on board.

The way Elton John creates his songs is by first having the lyrics, and shaping the music that comes to him around the words. And which song was the first one he got the lyrics for? “Can You Feel the Love Tonight”.

Writing the lyrics took Tim Rice about a week to finish. In fact, he promised Elton John that he would finish them on a Thursday, and on that morning, he had yet to finish them. But when the time came for Tim Rice to present the lyrics, he had them ready. Right off the bat, the tune for the song was set. But what was not was the place of the song in the movie, and because of that, the lyrics themselves. Over the course of the production, Tim Rice re-wrote the song roughly fifteen times. What did they have in common? The base tune from Elton John. What did they not? Just about everything else.

As ideas for the plot of The Lion King would change, so would the lyrics as to reflect the change in the song's purpose. These are only some of the changes that “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” would under go through:

-Simba and Nala have just met as lovers versus already being in love
-Simba singing the song to Nala
-Nala singing the song to Simba
-Both signing the song at the same time
-A “heavenly choir” singing the song over the lions

And then came a very funny version, one that utterly horrified Elton John when he found out about it, and would in fact place the song in jeopardy:
-Timon and Pumbaa sing the entire thing

Around this point came one of the most important changes to the song: it was to be left out entirely out of The Lion King. Elton John wrote “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” to be sung by Simba and Nala, and he also knew that it would be one of the most important aspects of the movie. Upon his insistence, the production team reevaluated the song and determined that it would in fact be reinstated into the movie.

So now it was clear that “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” will certainly be in the movie, and all was left would be to polish it up. And the final version, the one heard in the film, actually contains several elements from almost all versions of the song:
Both Simba and Nala get to sing
Timon and Pumbaa start off the song
The main singer is a “heavenly choir” not related to the plot

And then, as a final polish, Hans Zimmer and Lebo M added the African vocals in the background, that while more muted in the movie, can be clearly heard in the soundtrack version. Finally, the song was complete.

So in the end, “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” really went full circle with its production. And as a special treat, the full range of changes can be heard in the movie, as long as you watch the ending credits.

In terms of lyrics, the version that The Lion King uses are the very last one, version 15. But Elton John loved the original set of lyrics the best, so the ones the song playing over the credits uses are in fact those of version one, which Elton John wrote his tune to.

After the movie came out, many more versions of “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” would be created, some official by Disney, and others not. Some would be created by fans, others by full production teams. One unique version, also made during the production of the movie, would use only the tune and contain no lyrics: Frank Klepacki's song used in The Lion King games released in 1994.

Next time you listen to both versions of the song, compare them and see what was changed over the course of production, and what changed. What was made better? Or worse? Is there anything that is actually better or worse between them?

In the end, “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” stands as a very unique song with a very unique history.[/quote]

I really liked writing this because it made me look through all the research material that I had discovered over the course of many years of liking The Lion King and everything behind it. The sources I mainly used are the production videos that can be found on the DVD and the very ones taken out of the Laser Disc version found here on the MLK theater.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Re: Creating “Can You Feel the Love Tonight”

Postby Panda-chan » March 4th, 2012, 8:31 pm

Wow, very well written! I seriously thought you'd taken this off some article on this internet xD
I had no idea CYFTLT had such a complex history. 0.o 15 edits?? Holy crap, I'd be interested to see them. :)
D̵̢̨̧̛͔̖͍̝̤̫̼̝̬̤̪̟͇͙̊̏̎͛̇̏͊͌̃̂̈́͂̒̄̅̚̚͘͝R̸̥̙͂̀̾̑̊̀̉́̀́̐̄̊̿̈́̄͑̐̕͝I̴̗̯̼̳͉͕̺̤̖̝̪̫̊͛͝͠Ǹ̵̨̧͈̮̦̖̝͈̥̗͕̭͉̺̲͕̥͔͎̹͖͙͇̲̘̩̞͓̦̦̯̮̙̜̼̝͈̣̺̰̺̟̙̫̫ͅK̶̢̢̡̧̢̛̻͎̘͉̦͚̳̗̱̗̮̫̲͎̟͚͖̠̣̺͎̠̤͈̩̞͈͚̣̳̟̣̓͊͊̍̀̇͆́͐̔̔̅̿̅̋̈̈́̔̈̒̌̆̃̇͗̂̐̽́͊̋͗̚̕͘͜͜͠͝͝ ̴̧̧̢̧̧̢̛̦̗̦̭͔̝͎̘͍͚͈̰̦̲͍̥͚̱͓̦̙̞̱̜̹̍̉́̿̃͆̆̾̀̍̊͛̈́̽̈́̀̋̒̾͗͗͂̾̊̇̃̈́̋́̓̄̂̐͊͂̏̿̅͂̚͘̚͜͠͝͠ͅͅͅͅW̵̢̧̨̥͇̳̩͍̪̓̉͊̓̏͜͠Ã̵̧̨͍͚̭̱̦̯̣͓̱̫͑͋̋̾̎͑̽̔̒͆̉͒͑͆̎͑̑̒͋̑̀̒̿͑̄͋̒͆̑͆̔̈̈́͂͆̾̾̌̃̏̊̓͘͜͝͠͠T̸̨̧̛̮̙̰͇̹̭̥̙̝̱̼̥͖̟̃̔̑̒̓̈́͂̈́̂̓̂̎̋͊̌͋̂͂̃̂͝͠͠͝ͅĘ̴̧̡̢̧̡̠͉͉͕̤̳̘̖̙̭͙͕̻͍̖̗͙̯͈͔͋̄̾̄͛͌͌͒͛̇̎͋̉̈́̆̈́̍̎̆̒͑̒̅̋̊̄̈̿͒̈̋̾̊́̔̚͝͠͝͠ͅŖ̸̠̫͓̞͈̫̉̂
Panda-chan

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

STAY HYDRATED, FOLKS

Nickname(s): Weeb trash
Telegram: 6834232905344686445634231897968563522324236894284563523722616678
Pride Points: 108

Postby Regulus » March 4th, 2012, 8:39 pm

[quote="Amanda"]Wow, very well written! I seriously thought you'd taken this off some article on this internet xD[/quote]

Me too.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby DGFone » March 4th, 2012, 8:46 pm

[quote="Regulus"][quote="Amanda"]Wow, very well written! I seriously thought you'd taken this off some article on this internet xD[/quote]

Me too.[/quote]

Nope. I wrote it myself. :D

Glad you guys like it though!
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Postby Awali » March 4th, 2012, 9:03 pm

Very good information, thanks for writing!

We press play, don't press pause.
Progress, march on.
With the veil over our eyes,
we turn our back on the cause.
'Till the day that my uncles can be united by law,
when kids are walking 'round the hallway plagued by pain in their heart.
A world so hateful some would rather die than be who they are.
And a certificate on paper isn't gonna solve it all,
but it's a good place to start.
Awali

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Awali, Rj.

Postby Nalah » March 4th, 2012, 9:20 pm

I thought you'd take it from internet too.
It's amazing! I could not stop reading, lol
You're a wonderful writer!

:D
Nalah
We are more than we are...

We are one!

Nickname(s): Juhcy
Pride Points: 3

Postby TheLionPrince » March 5th, 2012, 3:05 am

Not much of the production history of "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" you listed here DGFone is new to me except for the meeting between Schumacher and Rice.

I'm surprised you didn't mention that the lyrics to the song were changed to having Simba and Nala remembering each other (yet falling in love simeautenously) when the story was changed with Simba fleeing from the Pride Lands after Mufasa's death. This information stems from a book titled Mouse Under Glass: Secrets of Disney Animation and Theme Parks .

Not to mention, Jeffrey Katzenberg received an angry phone call from Elton John when he saw a screening of the movie with the Timon and Pumbaa demo of the song. So, the production team had it removed, and the writers revised the story by adding in elements of Simba and Nala's childhood such as the wrestling/pinning scenes, the bathing scene, and the waterhole so it would more realism to their relationship, and have the love sequence make more sense. Of course, Elton was delighted by this. This information comes from Brian Tiemann's article about TLK Tenth Anniversary Reunion Panel.

In conclusion, it was a nice essay on the history of my all-time favorite song, DGFone, but you left out some crucial production facts. Anyway, your essay is fine without them anyway.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby DGFone » March 5th, 2012, 3:20 am

^Nice addition. I can add those into the article if you want, but it really comes down the simple fact that I did not come across these before I wrote it, and so had no idea about this information's existence until now. In the end, the entire premise of such an article is flawed in that it's a compilation of a bunch of sources, so there will always be some information that would be left out.

Great finds, by the way!
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Postby TheLionPrince » March 5th, 2012, 5:23 am

[quote="DGFone"]^Nice addition. I can add those into the article if you want, but it really comes down the simple fact that I did not come across these before I wrote it, and so had no idea about this information's existence until now. In the end, the entire premise of such an article is flawed in that it's a compilation of a bunch of sources, so there will always be some information that would be left out.

Great finds, by the way![/quote]

Thank you! Well, you don't have to add my sources if you don't want to. Like I said before, your essay is fine even without them. And, yes, I assumed before posting that you didn't know those production facts at the time you were writing this.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Arielle » March 6th, 2012, 4:21 pm

You wrote all that? :o

Really interesting! xD At least Timon and Pumbaa got to sing SOME of the song.
Arielle

Pride Points: 1

Return to Creators