Why was TLK so popular?

Re: Why was TLK so popular?

Postby We1rdRaptor » February 10th, 2012, 1:48 am

Well, The Lion King had a lot of good talent going into it and had people making good use of the somewhat limited budget it had. It's really telling that this film's animation looks better than Pocahontas's, even though that had more money going into it. Anyway. It's popular because:

1. Disney advertised the hell out of it.
2. Disney was (and is still) very popular, at the height of the Renaissance of the 90s.
3. Brisk writing, compelling characters, excellent animation, a well-paced story, a good story, great music, and great atmosphere.

The ingrediants just kinda came together perfectly for this to be an instant classic.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf
We1rdRaptor
The Almighty Crossing Guard

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

"You shall not pass!"

Pride Points: 2

Postby FlipMode » February 10th, 2012, 2:02 am

[quote="DGFone"]
As a family member of mine said after seeing it for the first time: "It's a great movie, but there's a problem: Why is it for kids?"[/quote]

It has talking animals, I mean some of TLK is quite blatantly for kids, the thing is - not the whole movie is like that.
When people think of TLK, they think of "I just cant wait to be king." which when you think about it, is one of the films immature moments, that is where the childish perception stems from.
But its not all like that, and that is what some people fail to understand, their loss though. Ignorance is bliss
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby We1rdRaptor » February 10th, 2012, 2:13 am

The target audience is children, but we animation lovers all know that's just another word for "fun for all ages". ;)
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf
We1rdRaptor
The Almighty Crossing Guard

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

"You shall not pass!"

Re: y was TLK so popular?

Postby BlueCheetahSpotz » March 6th, 2012, 2:16 pm

[quote="StormySeethe"]Because... it was an epic masterpiece![/quote]
Exactly! :)
ImageImage
BlueCheetahSpotz

Nickname(s): BCS
Pride Points: 1

Postby Biomac » March 18th, 2012, 5:36 pm

Because it's the best movie ever made 8-) . Everything is just too awesome in the movie

I am the Hope of the Universe... I am the Answer to all Living Things that cry out for Peace... I am Protector of the Innocent... I am the Light in the Darkness... I am Truth - Goku.

Mosquitoes suck - Saitama.
Biomac

Nickname(s): Bio
Pride Points: 36

Postby OwnerOfAllGames » April 7th, 2012, 11:43 am

You're asking why it is famous on a Lion King fan page? :O
- So prepare, for a glorious future!
- Be prepared for the prized Golden Age!
(We've got friends in high places, we hold all the aces!)
- So don't try and ruffle my gauge.
OwnerOfAllGames
The Veteran.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Victory is ours, men! Turn the cannons on them!

Nickname(s): Scar, Owner

Postby Animal of the Wild » October 2nd, 2013, 2:13 am

Well it's popular with me cause it shows sexy, naked male lions...

...and I love the hyenas.
Animal of the Wild

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: -18

Postby juhouh » October 4th, 2013, 10:01 pm

It's a movie for everyone. Kids like it and you have to be older enough to understand that it has a meaning. There are loads of those "easter eggs" in TLK as well in SP
Ask me - My Playlist - Steam
"Never trust the future, Never miss the past, If you live for the shining moment, The moment may just last…"
Signature by SimbasMate
juhouh
Nalaholic

Nickname(s): Juho
Pride Points: 46

Postby KiarasBiggestFan » October 4th, 2013, 11:56 pm

It might of been the "B movie" in production compared to the "A movie Pocahontas" ((Which I enjoy. Along with Pocahontas 2)) but it was well done. It had a great story and characters. Plus all the marketing and merchandising Disney did for it probably helped.
KiarasBiggestFan
I am the ninja

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

We are one

Nickname(s): Kiara
Pride Points: 3

Postby Ninaroja » October 5th, 2013, 12:03 am

TLK was the peak of the Disney renaissance. All the recent releases leading up to it (Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin) had all been massive successes, so I guess people were eager to see the next thing Disney churned out.
I think it is the best out of all of them: best story, best characters, best music. Overall I think they just did everything right (though this is just my opinion)
Signature Graphic made by Simbasmate! Thanks a ton :cheese:

Fanfiction Q&A Tumblr
Ninaroja
Nee-nyah Row-hah (AKA KULCY)

Simba is Love. Simba is Life.

Nickname(s): Kulcy, Lucy, Nina, Juicy, MLK Drama Detective ;)
Pride Points: 82

PreviousNext

Return to The Movies