Is Scar Considered Whiny?

Is Scar Considered Whiny?

Postby Lauren » October 4th, 2013, 8:45 pm

This may seem very stupid as a question, but I've often heard this excuse as a reason to dislike Scar as a character. I was curious as to why he's often disliked and/or hated by people for this reason. This usually comes up as to when Scar receives his power and throne as the king once he exiled Simba away and is characterized as "A manchild." Do you think he is whiny or no?
Lauren

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Is Scar Considered Whiny?

Postby Regulus » October 4th, 2013, 8:51 pm

Scar is selfish, authoritative, arrogant, and intentionally ignorant during his reign, but he's never struck me as being whiny. Honestly? I think he just doesn't care about anyone other than himself. The term "whiny" doesn't quite cover that attitude accurately.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby juhouh » October 4th, 2013, 8:55 pm

No, he's not whiny. He's clever but he has no skills of being a leader and sometimes he just doesn't care about anything but himself. Well, that was his personality anyways
Ask me - My Playlist - Steam
"Never trust the future, Never miss the past, If you live for the shining moment, The moment may just last…"
Signature by SimbasMate
juhouh
Nalaholic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Juho
Pride Points: 46

Postby S1mb4 D4 L10n » October 4th, 2013, 11:36 pm

I agree, he is not good at anything other than helping himself, but not really whining.
S1mb4 D4 L10n
A man of knowledge lives by

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

acting, not by thinking about acting.

Nickname(s): S4mb4, Jacket, Jnack, MLK Drama Detective :P
Pride Points: 58

Postby KiarasBiggestFan » October 4th, 2013, 11:54 pm

Well he's pretty selfish. I can see why some people may call him whiny. "I was first in line, until the little hairball was born"
That sounded somewhat whiny. However, I think he is a great villain.
KiarasBiggestFan
I am the ninja

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

We are one

Nickname(s): Kiara
Pride Points: 3

Postby InsaneSeagull » October 6th, 2013, 4:39 pm

He does whine a little, but all of us do. And what he does is actually more of a complaining than classic whining (you wouldn't hear Scar screaming: "I broke my nailllll! How am I gonna live nowwww?" or something like that).

Selfishness, only looking for himself, blah blah, yes. That goes with him. But really whining? No. He might spoiled a little, though.
InsaneSeagull
Asante sana!

Squash banana!

Nickname(s): Kiki, Sponge Bob
Pride Points: 105

Postby Carl » October 6th, 2013, 5:26 pm

Yeah, as has been said, he didn't really whine. He only really complained on a few occasions, and beyond that he mostly just remained quiet. He was kind of grouchy, which I suppose some people could take for whining, but it's not really the same. He was very bitter, not whiny, but bitter. We aren't given any official insight into his past, so that could be with or without reason. Without a reason, it leans more towards whiny territory, but he still never struck me as whiny.

I personally believe that he had some form of mental disorder, as some of those can make someone feel victimized and bitter even when they are loved and well-off. Something like that would explain his personality as well as his physical condition, because many people with mental issues have trouble taking proper care of themselves, and in some cases, don't feel hungry enough to keep on weight, and things along those lines. I'm not saying he was schizophrenic or something because he obviously wasn't acting like that, and he was consciously making his decisions and plans and going along with them, but there are some disorders like depression or bipolar, or some of these mood disorders that, in conjunction with a desire for power, could quite easily create the villain we see in the movie. Of course, a strong enough lust for power could result in something similar, but based on Scar's bitterness, I don't think that alone is the cause, plus, it's less interesting if he's just power hungry. :P

At any rate, I wouldn't call him "whiny."
Carl

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby Regulus » October 6th, 2013, 5:45 pm

If we're going with mental disorders, I'd say it's some sort of combination of narcissistic and schizoid personality disorder. That basically describes Scar's behavior in a nutshell.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby FlipMode » October 6th, 2013, 7:24 pm

No. Not by definition at least.
He's disliked because he kills his family, I thought.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby KingCub » October 6th, 2013, 7:32 pm

I would not call him whiny, just disappointing. I think he found that when you take a kingdom by force, not everyone there is going to love you... I bet he also found it a lot harder then it looks!
You are what you love, not who loves you.
Thanks Regulus for the lovely siggy!
Other Things~
Spoiler: show

Thank you Kib and SimbasMate!

Photography | Ask Me Stuff | Facebook | My Computer
KingCub

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): KC, Ty
Pride Points: 28

Next

Return to The Movies