Was Scar faking it?

Was Scar faking it?

Postby Animal of the Wild » October 3rd, 2013, 5:23 am

When Scar is on the ledge and begs for Simba to spare his life, and Simba does and tells Scar to run away, was Scar faking his cowardice the whole time, and had the burning coal plan in his head the whole time?
Animal of the Wild

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: -18

Re: Was Scar faking it?

Postby Arbystrider » October 3rd, 2013, 5:40 am

Why would it matter if he was faking it or not? All Scar needed was to stay alive - that way he can always think up of another plan to take the throne back.
ImageImageImage
Arbystrider
A semi-Nalaholic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

The peace the evening brings.

Nickname(s): Arby
Pride Points: 15

Postby DGFone » October 3rd, 2013, 8:37 am

He wasn't so much faking it as much as he was doing anything he can to give him some extra time to think. So he was mostly half-and-half on faking it: he wasn't planing to simply quit at that point, unless that was the only option that didn't end with him dead. So if the hot coals were not there, I think Scar would have at least put on a show of fleeing the Pride Lands until Simba would lower his guard before returning for the potential kill.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Animal of the Wild » October 3rd, 2013, 7:59 pm

Well, if it was sincere, it does make a difference, that Scar was indeed begging for his survival at that point.
Animal of the Wild

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FlipMode » October 3rd, 2013, 10:04 pm

If I were hanging on the edge of Pride Rock with my nephew standing above me, out to get me to avenge his father whom I killed and tricked into making him think it was his fault... I would probably beg for my life to be spared at that point.
I think at that point he knew he was going to lose, he just wasn't as strong and could only win through trickery and underhanded moves. So he saw the ash pile after that and used it in a last ditch attempt to win.

In short: No. Why would he be faking it? That suggests he wanted Simba to push him over the edge and kill him, I very much doubt that was part of his plan.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Shadowfax » October 3rd, 2013, 10:46 pm

For some reason, the title of this thread made me giggle. Ahem...

No, I think he was genuinely scared for his life there. When Simba does spare him, and tells him to run away that did look like genuine fear in his eyes. But then, lo and behold! Some ash. Like DG, I think Scar would have fled if those coals weren't there and just attacked Simba when he had his guard down.
Shadowfax
Never give up;

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

And good luck will find you.

Pride Points: 182

Postby Animal of the Wild » October 3rd, 2013, 11:19 pm

OK. I just thought he had the thing with the coals up his claws the whole time. I didn't like that idea, since it destroys Simba's superior position in the scene.

Thank you all. :)
Animal of the Wild

Postby KingCub » October 3rd, 2013, 11:47 pm

[quote="Shadowfax"]For some reason, the title of this thread made me giggle. Ahem...[/quote]
Two kinds of people :lol:

I don't think he was faking it, until he saw the coals there in the first place. Then when he had the idea in his head, it was all fake. But once he knew he had the upper hand, why would he need to fake it?

I think it was a brilliant touch to the movie. First off, it adds more suspense and gives the audience something that they where not expecting. I mean, who did not jump up and yell "YOU CAN DO IT SIMBA!"

Also, I think it shows more of the side of Scar that we all know and love. The fact that he is not afraid to play dirty in order to get what he want. It adds a lot of depth to his character, and I really appreciated that a lot!
You are what you love, not who loves you.
Thanks Regulus for the lovely siggy!
Other Things~
Spoiler: show

Thank you Kib and SimbasMate!

Photography | Ask Me Stuff | Facebook | My Computer
KingCub

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): KC, Ty
Pride Points: 28

Return to The Movies