Why was Simba in this position?

Why was Simba in this position?

Postby Animal of the Wild » October 2nd, 2013, 2:24 am

Why is he leaning forward, with his hind legs bent so?

Sorry if it's a stupid question.

BTW, I really love this pic. Simba is so gorgeous and badass here compared to Scar. He and Mufasa have such great bodies that it convinced me to work out to look good! 8-)
Last edited by Animal of the Wild on October 2nd, 2013, 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Animal of the Wild

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: -18

Re: Why was Simba in this position?

Postby FlipMode » October 2nd, 2013, 2:02 pm

What do you mean "why"? lol
Should he not be? Am I missing something?
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Arbystrider » October 2nd, 2013, 3:10 pm

I'm no mechanical engineer but:

Spoiler: show
(I made this diagram for funz, not because I wanted to rub it in Flip's face, so don't hate, playa)

Although IMHO I think that Simba was in that position, kinda throwing himself at Scar because he's real confident that he's the one true king, and not afraid to back down.
ImageImageImage
Arbystrider
A semi-Nalaholic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

The peace the evening brings.

Nickname(s): Arby
Pride Points: 15

Postby Animal of the Wild » October 2nd, 2013, 3:55 pm

[quote="Arbystrider"]I'm no mechanical engineer but:

Spoiler: show
(I made this diagram for funz, not because I wanted to rub it in Flip's face, so don't hate, playa)

Although IMHO I think that Simba was in that position, kinda throwing himself at Scar because he's real confident that he's the one true king, and not afraid to back down.[/quote]

Awesome.

It's just I've seen my dog sort of lean forward on his back legs like that before, and it's an interesting position.
Animal of the Wild

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Regulus » October 2nd, 2013, 4:42 pm

That pose provides balance and stability in the event of an attack, with a wide base relative to the height of his center of mass. It alao has the benefit of appearing intimidating.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby Animal of the Wild » October 2nd, 2013, 4:56 pm

[quote="Regulus"]That pose provides balance and stability in the event of an attack, with a wide base relative to the height of his center of mass. It alao has the benefit of appearing intimidating.[/quote]

Awesome. BTW, I love how the shot shows off Simba's nakedness.

Heck, looks like he's about to take a dump. Can you imagine that? Him sh*tting on Scar?
Last edited by Animal of the Wild on October 2nd, 2013, 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Animal of the Wild

Postby DGFone » October 2nd, 2013, 5:05 pm

This scene is right after Simba confronted Scar for the first time, so he would still be in the same pose as before: leaning forward in order to intimidate Scar.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Animal of the Wild » October 2nd, 2013, 10:21 pm

Mufasa was in this position too, here:

He looks great as always, BTW
Animal of the Wild

Postby Remorazz » October 3rd, 2013, 12:41 am

[quote="Simba the Lion King"]Mufasa was in this position too, here:

He looks great as always, BTW[/quote]

This is acceptable, given the fact Mufasa is on a considerable incline. Simba, however looks like he's about to fall over. Not only is alot of weight on his front end, he's tilted 45 degrees to his left. Very precarious. One thought I had was that simba may be stretching or something, but his back is straight.
Thank You SophieCub: show
Remorazz

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Remo
Pride Points: 3

Postby DGFone » October 3rd, 2013, 1:02 am

You guys are all forgetting one major, very important factor: camera angle. Remember that The Lion King came out when CGI was used to enhance these animated movies, thus giving the illusions of having a camera recording an animated world. The picture of Simba was taken from the scene when the camera was following Scar, and therefore was swiveling around Simba in a circle. If you also look at the angle Scar is at, you will see that the camera is at a slight dutch angle (aka, banked), giving the illusion that Simba is leaning far more forwards than he actually is.

Such is perspective.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Return to The Movies