Is Mufasa's death the saddest of any Disney movie?

Re: Is Mufasa's death the saddest of any Disney movie?

Postby TheLionPrince » May 14th, 2013, 7:43 am

If it's sad enough to make a dog go emotional, that's telling you something.

Honestly, this topic is based on emotional preferences. It's a very sad, emotional scene (if you can relate to it), though Mufasa's ghostly visitation to Simba, the opening montage of Up, the heart-felt ending of Toy Story 3, "Baby Mine" from Dumbo, Bambi's mother's death, and the "Goodbye May Seem Forever Farewell" from The Fox and the Hound serve as rivals. Yeah, it's sad, but to say it's the saddest moment among all Disney movies is entirely opinionated.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby DGFone » May 14th, 2013, 8:02 am

This video, I have to say, really shows the power of The Lion King.

Because for a dog to start whining over cats, it's like Superman feeling grief at the level of losing a close family member while seeing Lex Luthor dying. Yes. That much power is held in that once scene.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby AdAstrα » May 14th, 2013, 9:07 am

That dog has just made my day. What a cutie.
I'm never going back
The past is in the past
AdAstrα

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Fabulous Frog
Pride Points: 117

Postby MooLion » May 14th, 2013, 3:12 pm

If The Fox and the Hound deserves any consideration for saddest moments, for me personally I'd say the very end of the film is sadder than the 'Goodbye is like the end' bit. The voiceover of the characters speaking as youngsters - and friends - when they are otherwise leading separate non-friend lives, gets to my nostalgic, sentimental side.
~Banner by Amy!~
"Your mother on the other hand, I admired her. She wanted to have me executed... but I admired her." ~ Tyrion
MooLion
You poisoned the moonlight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

When you put out the sun

Nickname(s): Moo
Pride Points: 15

Postby FlipMode » May 18th, 2013, 11:38 pm

[quote="MooLion"]If The Fox and the Hound deserves any consideration for saddest moments, for me personally I'd say the very end of the film is sadder than the 'Goodbye is like the end' bit. The voiceover of the characters speaking as youngsters - and friends - when they are otherwise leading separate non-friend lives, gets to my nostalgic, sentimental side.[/quote]

That was the scene I was referring to, I just didn't want to spoil the ending of a 1981 animated movie...
Things like that are sadder to me than death. I mean death is a natural part of life, it doesn't make me sad (in stories) as other bad things like the FAH ending where they choose to live their lives away from each other.

Things like difficult decisions, the ruin of a great friendship (see Hercules when he hits Phil) things like that get to me more than death scenes.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Regulus » May 19th, 2013, 12:25 am

Really? I never thought the end of The Fox and the Hound was sad. I actually saw it as being more of a happy moment, to be honest. They both moved on in their own separate ways, but they left on good terms, despite nearly being forced to kill each other.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby FlipMode » May 19th, 2013, 8:02 am

[quote="Regulus"]Really? I never thought the end of The Fox and the Hound was sad. I actually saw it as being more of a happy moment, to be honest. They both moved on in their own separate ways, but they left on good terms, despite nearly being forced to kill each other.[/quote]

Yeah but it also played the line in the background where they said they'd be friends forever but then in the end they realise that wasn't possible and it's just...
THE FEELS, Regulus! THE FEELS!

I guess you could say it was pretty bittersweet, so it was a good ending but not exactly the happiest way it could have ended. And plus it was actually based on the novel if the same name and the novel was 100 times sadder originally but of course was toned down for kids. It's a pretty depressing story but they kept the general idea the same.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Regulus » May 19th, 2013, 9:08 am

Wow. I guess we interpreted that in completely different ways.

When they said they would be friends forever, I thought it was a happy ending because it turned out to be true. Even though they were forced apart, the repetition of that scene confirmed that they still viewed one another as friends. It was possible, and that is what happened.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby MooLion » May 20th, 2013, 5:20 pm

[quote]FlipMode: That was the scene I was referring to[/quote]

Ah!

I guess it shows the difference in people (in reference to above discussion)... I'm one of those people who finds it hard to let go at times and wishes the new times could be more like the old times I remember, etc. (Which I know isn't always a good way to feel!) So yeah, that sort of emotion gets to me in that particular ending. XD

I still want to know what's sad about Aladdin? Is it Genie at the end?
~Banner by Amy!~
"Your mother on the other hand, I admired her. She wanted to have me executed... but I admired her." ~ Tyrion
MooLion
You poisoned the moonlight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

When you put out the sun

Nickname(s): Moo
Pride Points: 15

Postby Annie » May 21st, 2013, 9:36 pm

Not Disney, but in Spirit, where is he is pulled to the ground by the soldiers...gets me ever time! Anything to do with horses makes me sad.
R.I.P Annie, Holly, Spike, Louie, Mel, Robbie, Mr.H, Molly, Archie, Blobby and Dancer <3
Annie
Hyena

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Rawr

Pride Points: 29

PreviousNext

Return to The Movies