Would Kovu and Kiara make good rulers?

Re: Would Kovu and Kiara make good rulers?

Postby Sigurd » April 26th, 2013, 3:23 am

I think Kovu still would have had a lot of evil manners that Zira teached him, that would be a problem. His transformation was unrealistic. Kiara wasn't eager to be a queen at the beginning, but I think she will accept her destiny more and more. I think she would be quite humble as a ruler, Kovu would have more power than her. I don't think they would be good rulers, but who knows, Simba and Nala didn't get any proper training and they still managed to fix the problems after Scar.
Until I'm home, I'm on a distant road
Sigurd

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 14

Postby Regulus » April 26th, 2013, 3:39 am

[quote="Simbaist"]I think she would be quite humble as a ruler, Kovu would have more power than her. I don't think they would be good rulers, but who knows, Simba and Nala didn't get any proper training and they still managed to fix the problems after Scar.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure Nala was trained to be a queen, considering she's the only canon cub/adolescent in the pride before Simba's return.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby Sigurd » April 26th, 2013, 4:09 am

[quote="Regulus"][quote="Simbaist"]I think she would be quite humble as a ruler, Kovu would have more power than her. I don't think they would be good rulers, but who knows, Simba and Nala didn't get any proper training and they still managed to fix the problems after Scar.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure Nala was trained to be a queen, considering she's the only canon cub/adolescent in the pride before Simba's return.[/quote]

Yes, you're right, didn't think about that.
Until I'm home, I'm on a distant road
Sigurd

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 14

Postby PrincessKiara » July 13th, 2013, 10:29 pm

[quote="MooLion"]Mufasa was a better ruler than Simba, and Simba a better one than Kiara appears, so uh-oh, is it all going downhill? :p[/quote]

Remember that Simba didn`t exactly recieve much training. He had barely learned that he was going to be king one day before Mufasa passed. What Simba can teach Kiara is simply what he has learned through his own excperience, which is pretty much learning-by-doing..
Personally, I think Kiara will grow into a wise and fair ruler.
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Postby Rocky » September 18th, 2013, 11:16 pm

I do see your point but in my opinion I could see those "killer" traits being masked by the fact of finally being loved in every sense of the word. See what made Kovu so aggressive, along with his upbringing, was the lack of love and support he had untop of not having a true feeling of his own identity. However, when you watch the scenes where he is bonding with the pride ( more so Simba and Kiara) he gets that intimate love and fatherly love that he was deprived of.One can assume Nala also showed Kovu a more tender side. Kovu by define is not a cynical villain with a chip on his shoulder but rather a product of his environment. In other words, he has no real reason to be so angry aside from what he was told to be. Once he "saw the light" .for lack of a better phrase, he began to change. Simba, although wasn't formally taught how to be a king, has that sense of right and wrong and has a natural understanding of the circle of life. I believe he was a good king who just had to let go of a few personal things in his life. But I don't think that would make him any less of a good teacher to Kovu. I firmly believe Kovu has the brains,build and attitude to be a good leader once he grows into a more mature state in his life. We can't forget they ( Kovu and Kiara) are "young adults" or "sub adults" if you will. Now as for Kiara I honestly do see potential in her. She withholds a very strong demeanor through out the movie. Similar to her mother and grandmother Sarabi while having a very friendly and innocent look to her similar to her other grandmother,Sarafina. My stand on this is when they mature,with proper teaching,they make great predecessors to Pride Rock.
Apollo and Avatar/Sig ( c ) me
Rocky

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Apollo
Pride Points: 0

Postby juhouh » October 6th, 2013, 3:01 pm

Kovu seems to be quite shy and he clearly doesn't have the skills of leading, or it just feels like it to me. I think only Zira and Mufasa did fit for that duty. They were both aggressive and had a strong personality unlike Kovu
Ask me - My Playlist - Steam
"Never trust the future, Never miss the past, If you live for the shining moment, The moment may just last…"
Signature by SimbasMate
juhouh
Nalaholic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Juho
Pride Points: 46

Postby FlipMode » October 6th, 2013, 7:33 pm

[quote="Mrs Depp"]My biggest problem with SP is the rate in which Kovu changes. The movie could have only shown the span of a few days ( after Kovu is taken in by Simba ). Kovu goes from a murderous outlander to a heroic, righteous pridelander in just a few days. From my point of view, Kovu was trained as a killer before and after he met Kiara at the border. The kind of knowledge just doesn't go away within a few moments. Surely that would rear it's ugly head one way or another. Kovu is no saint and I'm sorry but I think he would make a lousy king. Maybe Simba could teach him how to be a king but here's the thing... Simba wasn't trained either.
[/quote]

This is where you spend too much time crafting the story and not enough on the characters, you get characters acting out of character blatantly just to steer the plot. It's doesn't really happen in TLK (if not as obviously), which is why people generally prefer the first one. The first one had the perfect blend of characters and plot, while the 2nd seemed to rely more on the Romeo and Juliet plot, at the cost of character development and establishing certain characteristics with each.
It's obvious from the beginning when Simba has changed quite a bit, despite Kiara only being young, I don't know if he would have changed that much in that short time.

Then again, people change all the time, y'know? So it's not impossible. And, I mean people make jokes about it but - people don't really understand how powerful love, as in proper love actually is. It probably is enough to make Kovu change. I think that was another point that TLK2 was trying to make.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby RedKite » October 6th, 2013, 7:40 pm

No. They would get over-thrown really fast, because Kiara doesn't know how to do anything and Kovu would just let her control him.
RedKite
Protector of the Circle

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Defender of Life

Nickname(s): Red, Redd, Reddie, Kite
Pride Points: 5

Postby DGFone » October 6th, 2013, 10:42 pm

In a nutshell? No.

Kiara doesn't take the lessons on how to be a queen to heart, even going so far as declaring that she doesn't even want to become one. Unlike Simba who couldn't learn how to become a king from Timon and Pumbaa, Kiara has all the ability to do so, she simply didn't take the opportunity to learn.

Kovu on the other hand not only didn't have the opportunity to learn how to become a king, he was actively trained how to kill and become a king, but not how to actually be one. Kovu is a lot like Scar in this case: knows a lot on how to get to an objective, but not what to do with it.

So without serious help from the rest of the Pride (and most likely serious overtime on Simba and Nala's part), Kiara and Kovu are not suited to ruling an anthill, let alone the Pride Lands. Can they learn? Yes. But they have some serious catching up to do.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby FlipMode » October 6th, 2013, 10:56 pm

[quote="DGFone"] Kovu is a lot like Scar in this case: knows a lot on how to get to an objective, but not what to do with it.

[/quote]

It's the little subtleties like that why I like Kovu as a character, they didn't just make a complete Scar clone, they made him different and just put nods and references to Scar in his character. It's pretty nicely done I think.
Agree with the rest of your post though.
FlipMode

Pride Points: 266

Previous

Return to The Movies