Who did NOT cry during THAT scene?

Who did NOT cry during THAT scene?

Postby TheBlackCatCrossing » September 22nd, 2012, 6:02 am

Oh yeah, I went there. :lol:

The notion of someone crying during The Lion King has become a meme/joke in its own right. I remember it was mentioned in this comedy called 'Family Matters' years ago when Jaleel White mentioned it. I am sure there are countless other examples but on the top of my head, I can't recall.

Personally, I don't recall shedding a tear. It's not that I am cold hearted. I do remember getting anxiety evertime I watched it. It's no doubt one of the most dramatic scenes in animated history. It is one of the most powerful and emotionally gripping moments in animated cinema. I did not cry. Don't get me wrong, it was horrible what happened to Simba and it demonstrated to me what an unrepentant and manipulative psycho Scar was really was. As far as I can recall I never shed a tear, but I confess I did bawl when I first watched "Last Lions" which ironically enough had Jeremy Irons, but that is another topic for another time. Here are possible reasons why I don't think it got to me. Anyone else please feel free to share!

1. I watched Bambi quite often during my pre-LK days. We never saw Bambi's mother get killed but it did not make it any less tragic.

2. Land Before Time-I don't know how many people have heard of this one as we have a lot of 90s born kids here. This was a Universal/Don Bluth film that came out in '88 (A good six years before TLK and five years before Jurassic Park). It's about this group of little dinosaurs that had to find The Great Valley. Not long after the beginning, the mother of the protagonist Little Foot who is a brontosaurus dies after sustaining injuries from a T-Rex attack. If it came out today, I have no doubt that parents groups would complain. I would say that her death was a little bit more violent than Mufasa's. I guess this and Bambi kind of made me 'numb'.

3. The trailers pretty much gave away what would happen. If I recall correctly, it was strongly implied.

Anyone else?
Death is a challenge. It tells us not to waste time… It tells us to tell each other right now that we love each other.

Leo Buscaglia
TheBlackCatCrossing
Damnatio ad bestias

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nothing really matters-Madonna

Nickname(s): Harley Quinn
Pride Points: 27

Re: Who did NOT cry during THAT scene?

Postby DGFone » September 22nd, 2012, 6:15 am

I never cried because I trained myself not to cry.It's a rather lame reason, and I would like to eventually watch the scene and have it impact me enough that I will be able to at least shed one tear - the movie is too good to watch it while pretending to be a cold barbarian.

When I saw the 3D version in theaters, I at least got quite sad, so yeah, I don't ever recall ever crying in the Lion King (correction - never in front of anyone else), but now I feel like I am old enough where I don't have to suppress my feelings anymore.

As for the correction: Of all things, once after seeing The Lion King again after a few years (this story is itself several years old), that night I got quite emotional over CYFTLT. At least it was night and I was in bed...
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Tacobell Lion » September 22nd, 2012, 6:21 am

My friends and i actually ALMOST teared up a bit when Mufasa died and Simba was trying to wake him up. :cry:

The funny thing is that it was earlier this year. :lol:
Tacobell Lion
Gucci Mane

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Can YOU feel the love tonight?

Nickname(s): Lion(no joke)
Pride Points: 9

Postby SimbasGuard » September 22nd, 2012, 7:51 am

I didn't cry because, I had also watch several previews of the movie, and The Making of The Lion King so I was braced for it to happen, but just because the scene didn't move me to tears does not meant the scene did not have a tremendous emotional impact on me. Even when I watch the movie nowadays I am particularly griped with how truly scared Simba must have been when he tried to wake his dead father. The denial in of itself is heart wrenching.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby AdAstrα » September 22nd, 2012, 10:42 am

As for me, I always cry lol. It's just the way I am! I get emotional easily. The Land Before Time always has me sobbing as well (born in 92 but yes, I did watch this one frequently as a kid! It's an awesome film!), mainly the part where Littlefoot thinks he's seeing his mother and it turns out to be his own shadow. Gosh, that gets me everytime. Bambi's mother's death is also one if those horribly sad scenes, can't get through that one without shedding a tear or two either.
I'm never going back
The past is in the past
AdAstrα

Nickname(s): Fabulous Frog
Pride Points: 117

Postby Shadowfax » September 22nd, 2012, 11:51 am

I must be a heartless cow. I never cried at this scene xD I guess I watched TLK when I was about five, so didn't really understand and have just kinda grown up with it and got used to it xD
Shadowfax
Never give up;

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

And good luck will find you.

Pride Points: 182

Postby AdAstrα » September 22nd, 2012, 12:15 pm

Lol, I wouldn't call you a heartless cow tbh xD some people just don't cry easily. Nothing wrong with that. If someone insisted they didn't even feel a bit sad, THEN I would sort of....question their sanity a lot. Haha. But actually crying....that's such an individual thing.
I'm never going back
The past is in the past
AdAstrα

Nickname(s): Fabulous Frog
Pride Points: 117

Postby cleargreenwater » September 22nd, 2012, 2:27 pm

I was 12 in 1994 when the movie came out and thought it was suspenseful but not particularly wrenching. The only cartoon character death that ever really-really had the power to get me going was Hazel's at the end of Watership Down, I guess I just think old age after so many adventures is the larger tragedy than a plot-necessary death.

The "Circle of Life" sequence, now THAT still makes me tear up.
-------------------------------------

The Event that BROKE MLK...

Avatar artwork of my character by NQN, commissioned & used with permission.
TLKFAA account: http://fanart.lionking.org/Artists/ClearGreenWater/?+
cleargreenwater
Submersible Hyena

...Surfaces Occassionally.

Nickname(s): CGW
Pride Points: 39

Postby UncoordinatedPisces » September 22nd, 2012, 2:32 pm

I don't remember crying when I was little, but it was only recently (like last year) I was crying at the scene almost every time. When I went to see it in 3D, I was crying then. Lol, I was crying through the whole thing lol. It does make me upset every time, it tends to be when I watch it with friends I cry more.
UncoordinatedPisces
just an oddball

I'm getting there, one clumsy step at a time

Nickname(s): Amy
Pride Points: 149

Postby TheLionPrince » September 23rd, 2012, 1:24 am

I don't remember crying when Mufasa dies (or any other scene for that matter) when I was young, but I may have. In the recent watchings of the film, I have not shed one tear. Why? First, I'm not an emotional cinephile. Sure, I can get involved in the story and characters, but sometimes the emotional events don't relate with me so they don't leave an emotional impact on me as they do with others. It's been years since I have someone very close to me pass away so most likely, when someone very close to me dies, I'll start to become an emotional cinephile. And finally, I've seen TLK countless times that I practically know every scene backwards and forwards so when Mufasa's death scene happened, it's no surprise.

Now, I'll admit I cried during Bambi when Bambi's mother died back when I bought on DVD some five years ago.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Next

Return to The Movies