Broad definition

Hi! Welcome to the Feedback forum.
Before reading anything or asking anything; please check out the FAQs. Your question might be in there. However if you want a better understanding after reading the FAQs, like if it didn't explain it good enough, then by all means ask your question.

Please read the following before posting in this forum...

In this forum you will see an Announcement, and several "sticky" topics. The announcement is the Universal Board Rules. If you are new, read this before doing anything else! The sticky topics will stay above and separated from normal user-made topics in the forum. This is because they outline important information about the board. If you see a sticky topic concerning your issue, please reply with your question or concern in the correct topic. Moderators will see your reply within these topics. Before asking your question, be sure to read the topic and its first page especially. It contains information about your issue that is valuable and may even answer your questions. If the topic does not answer your question, ask your question within the topic, not the forum. If no sticky topic concerns your issue, then you are welcome to ask your own questions by creating a new topic within the forum.

Thank you for keeping the Board Help forum organized!

Broad definition

Postby WildSimba » January 29th, 2017, 11:33 pm

My suggestion here is that we should come up with a list of things that make a site specifically just PG, have it be as descriptive and not vague as possible, so we don't see anymore *insert inappropriate content* here anymore. Because I think we can all see that not everyone is following these "PG" guidelines, and just saying the forum is PG is vague. Who agrees?

No trolling in this thread, I only want serious discussion. Thanks.
Last edited by WildSimba on January 30th, 2017, 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There are you, you drive like a demon from station to station," - David Bowie
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Ain't it Funny how it happens

Nickname(s): WS, David
Telegram: Ask me through PM
Pride Points: 122

Re: Broad definition

Postby FlipMode » January 29th, 2017, 11:44 pm

This site isn't specifically PG though is it? You can't rate a site PG like you can a game or movie because it's the Internet and anything can potentially be posted here.
At the end of the day this site is open to everyone interested in the lion king of all ages, ask yourself before you post something if you think a kid seeing it would be okay or not, if its not then don't post it. And at the end of the day the staff will pm you asking to remove or edit any content that they think has crossed that line. :)
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby WildSimba » January 29th, 2017, 11:45 pm

Exactly. But then why is it fair to receive warnings for things that aren't obvious, and then just broadly say it doesn't fall under PG? That's why that's too vague of a thing to have in the rules.

Like, I think either they need to make a broader definition, or stick to only warning for things that are actually stated in the rules. Not everything is obviously not PG, right? ;)
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FlipMode » January 29th, 2017, 11:53 pm

There is no rule saying "Don't post things that aren't PG" it's just that posting something that is insultive, sexual, racist, discriminative, vulgar or any of the other things listed in the rules, is by association obviously not PG.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby WildSimba » January 30th, 2017, 12:07 am

Yes, but is it not kind of vague to just say sexual or vulgar? I think people have a broad concept of what defines those 2 things.
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Postby Moka » January 30th, 2017, 12:15 am

^ Broad concept or not, it's easy to avoid for 99.9% of members.

I fundamentally disagree with listing out everything a member can and can't post. The rules are convoluted enough as they are. Do you really think we can enumerate everything and put it into a form that everyone would actually read? I'd like to avoid bureaucracy as much as possible.

Rules evolve and become complicated because people continually bend them. It's in their nature. Fortunately we're not running a government at MLK, we're providing a free service. A good guideline is what Flip said. Just asking yourself "is this family friendly", basically. The rules don't mention PG, but I'm sure moderators say "keep it PG". I know I have. It's purposefully vague because I, and I'm sure a great many members, don't want to go down that road.
Moka
:D

Pride Points: 138

Postby FlipMode » January 30th, 2017, 12:17 am

Do they? I think having a specific list of things not to post on a lion king forum sounds quite vulgar in itself. LoL
Imagine someone about to register and reads the rules and sees "Sexual content includes all the following things..." Followed by a list of sexual acts that should not be discussed or really referenced on a lion king board. That would turn me away from registering more than anything I think. It's very strange IMO.
FlipMode

Postby Marizzle » January 31st, 2017, 2:59 am

Locked as requested by thread creator.
Marizzle
Hope is the only thing

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Stronger than fear

Pride Points: 81

Return to Feedback & How-To