A few concerns about the state of this community

Hi! Welcome to the Feedback forum.
Before reading anything or asking anything; please check out the FAQs. Your question might be in there. However if you want a better understanding after reading the FAQs, like if it didn't explain it good enough, then you may ask your question.

Please read the following before posting anywhere in this forum...

In this forum you will see an Announcement, and several "sticky" topics. The announcement is the Universal Board Rules. If you are new, read this before doing anything else. The sticky topics will stay above and separated from normal user-made topics in the forum. This is because they outline important information about the board. If you see a sticky topic concerning your issue, please reply with your question or concern in the correct topic. Moderators will see your reply within these topics. Before asking your question, be sure to read the topic and it's first page especially. It contains information about your issue that is valuable and may even answer your questions. If the topic does not answer your question, ask your question within the topic, not the forum. If no sticky topic concerns your issue, then you are welcome to ask your own questions by creating a new topic within the forum.

Thank you for keeping the Board Help forum organized!

Re: A few concerns about the state of this community

Postby Timon the great » December 8th, 2016, 9:22 pm

CatchTheRain wrote:Timon kinda sucks tho

Flip_FTW wrote:All I got from that was "I like Timon and I get upset when other people don't like Timon."


Alright. Seeing that what I wrote about this part of my other post requires simple clarification:

My point is, if a member is going to have an attitude of bashing a character simply "Because I can" or "Nobody likes X character. So I can say whatever I want", those kinds of attitude will NOT foster any kind of truly good or friendly environment for anyone on a forum like this.

There's a real difference between just expressing a dislike for a character (or film), and bashing him/her/it. Especially if you don't have concrete evidence from official material to back up negative claims on the subject.
"I found a place that was beyond my wildest dreams. But..., it still wasn't home." - Timon; Lion King 1 1/2 (3)

Image
______________________________________________________________

I believe in Jesus Christ my savior, and I am not afraid to admit it. If you are a Christian, please copy and paste this into your signature.

- If you were to die today, where will you spend eternity?
Timon the great
Looking Beyond What He Sees

User avatar

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Timon L. Berkowitz

Posts: 1439
Joined: May 27th, 2012, 3:04 am
Gender: Male
Pride Points: 21

Re: A few concerns about the state of this community

Postby Gemini » December 8th, 2016, 9:38 pm

Timon the great wrote:
CatchTheRain wrote:Timon kinda sucks tho

Flip_FTW wrote:All I got from that was "I like Timon and I get upset when other people don't like Timon."


Alright. Seeing that what I wrote about this part of my other post requires simple clarification:

My point is, if a member is going to have an attitude of bashing a character simply "Because I can" or "Nobody likes X character. So I can say whatever I want", those kinds of attitude will NOT foster any kind of truly good or friendly environment for anyone on a forum like this.

There's a real difference between just expressing a dislike for a character (or film), and bashing him/her/it. Especially if you don't have concrete evidence from official material to back up negative claims on the subject.


I looked through the thread you linked and honestly, I thought Regs was being pretty damn reasonable. He doesn't like Timon but I never got the impression that he was "bashing" him.

TBH when I joined this site I was a huge Scar fanatic (like that was literally how people knew me, I was that Scar fanfic writer) and yeah, I got defensive sometimes when people weren't being fair because I was a depressed 14 year old and I was pretty sensitive, but at the end of the day I realized that he's literally an animated character in a movie. Not everyone is going to like anyone in the same way and people sometimes are going to hate your favorite character. I got that literally all the time but that didn't stop me from making friends here, even though most people didn't like the same characters I did.

Just saying. I find people here mostly pretty reasonable in a discussion and considering that on-topic posts seem to be in a minority now anyways, I don't think that that's a major contributor to anything that's gone on lately. In fact it's probably one of the most stable parts of the forum as far as I've ever seen, and I've also been here since 2012, so... yeah.
Image
Ask Me Stuff | FFnet | Video Q&A Session | About My Webcomic | Commission Me (dA)
"A lion may be stronger, but a wolf doesn't jump through hoops."
Image
Pic (c) BlazingBlackMage
Gemini
Arms wide open, I stand alone

User avatar

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I'm no hero, and I'm not made of stone

Posts: 5376
Joined: August 15th, 2012, 6:21 pm
Location: The Fell
Nickname(s): Twin, Janna, Janana
Telegram: @icelandichorse
Pride Points: 97

Re: A few concerns about the state of this community

Postby Elton John » December 8th, 2016, 10:00 pm

There are people who hate Nala.

Those people....will....not be getting Christmas cards from me this year. Maybe even next year too!
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
Oh, I just can't wait

User avatar

Years of membershipYears of membership

To protect Gotham City!

Posts: 8222
Joined: October 29th, 2014, 9:28 am
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Pride Points: 193

Re: A few concerns about the state of this community

Postby MalibuTrashDog » December 8th, 2016, 10:54 pm

I feel like this train is being derailed.
Image
Image
MalibuTrashDog
Daddy Atsume

User avatar

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

The trash that collects you.

Posts: 2087
Joined: March 2nd, 2009, 1:51 am
Location: Stroodsburg, PA
Nickname(s): Dean Winchester
Telegram: MalibuTrashDog
Gender: Female
Pride Points: 93

Re: A few concerns about the state of this community

Postby Timon the great » December 8th, 2016, 11:12 pm

GeminiGemelo wrote:
Timon the great wrote:
CatchTheRain wrote:Timon kinda sucks tho

Flip_FTW wrote:All I got from that was "I like Timon and I get upset when other people don't like Timon."


Alright. Seeing that what I wrote about this part of my other post requires simple clarification:

My point is, if a member is going to have an attitude of bashing a character simply "Because I can" or "Nobody likes X character. So I can say whatever I want", those kinds of attitude will NOT foster any kind of truly good or friendly environment for anyone on a forum like this.

There's a real difference between just expressing a dislike for a character (or film), and bashing him/her/it. Especially if you don't have concrete evidence from official material to back up negative claims on the subject.


I looked through the thread you linked and honestly, I thought Regs was being pretty damn reasonable. He doesn't like Timon but I never got the impression that he was "bashing" him.

TBH when I joined this site I was a huge Scar fanatic (like that was literally how people knew me, I was that Scar fanfic writer) and yeah, I got defensive sometimes when people weren't being fair because I was a depressed 14 year old and I was pretty sensitive, but at the end of the day I realized that he's literally an animated character in a movie. Not everyone is going to like anyone in the same way and people sometimes are going to hate your favorite character. I got that literally all the time but that didn't stop me from making friends here, even though most people didn't like the same characters I did.

Just saying. I find people here mostly pretty reasonable in a discussion and considering that on-topic posts seem to be in a minority now anyways, I don't think that that's a major contributor to anything that's gone on lately. In fact it's probably one of the most stable parts of the forum as far as I've ever seen, and I've also been here since 2012, so... yeah.


Since you were the one who pretty much legitly attacked me when I made my posts about how I felt when Donald Trump won the election here (when they weren't even aimed at anyone on this forum including you): viewtopic.php?p=1395947#p1395947, it's going to be hard for me to agree to your statements you wrote above.

And yes. It's human nature to support your friends in everything they do, and not think that they can or ever will do anything wrong. Which isn't actually good.

But as for me, I'm sticking to everything I've written in this thread and I'm not going to let myself have a biased view on something that's happened on this forum or because it's a friend of mine.
"I found a place that was beyond my wildest dreams. But..., it still wasn't home." - Timon; Lion King 1 1/2 (3)

Image
______________________________________________________________

I believe in Jesus Christ my savior, and I am not afraid to admit it. If you are a Christian, please copy and paste this into your signature.

- If you were to die today, where will you spend eternity?
Timon the great
Looking Beyond What He Sees

User avatar

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Timon L. Berkowitz

Posts: 1439
Joined: May 27th, 2012, 3:04 am
Gender: Male
Pride Points: 21

Re: A few concerns about the state of this community

Postby it means no worries » December 8th, 2016, 11:18 pm

Timon the great wrote:My point is, if a member is going to have an attitude of bashing a character simply "Because I can" or "Nobody likes X character. So I can say whatever I want", those kinds of attitude will NOT foster any kind of truly good or friendly environment for anyone on a forum like this.


You can as long as you aren't being offensive, that's called an opinion.
it means no worries
Gods

User avatar

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I hate Gauls

Posts: 12893
Joined: August 10th, 2014, 3:31 am
Pride Points: 56

Re: A few concerns about the state of this community

Postby Gemini » December 8th, 2016, 11:19 pm

TBH just gonna be blunt with you because I find this tiresome:

I don't "attack" people unless they've done something to deserve it. But if you're going to bring up random unrelated crap that's not related to the issue at hand: personally, you've repeatedly attacked my friends and removed PPs over petty reasons. You claim that people here are so unreasonable but you're literally the only one here who's militant about it. This has been going on for quite a while, btw.

So in short: I "attacked" you because I find your posts petty and annoying, and said so. If you can't shape up you're gonna have to deal with that. It has to do with your attitude, not that you voted Trump because honestly I don't really even care who you voted for.

My original statement also has nothing to do with these people being my friends. I have friends on the mod staff and I have friends in this group. I don't support people just because I'm their buddy. I'm not an idiot. Based on your replies I don't think you even fully realize the situation that is going on anyway.

TL;DR Chill out. Honestly. Stop derailing the thread with unrelated things. It's not gonna make people like you any more.
Last edited by Gemini on December 8th, 2016, 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Ask Me Stuff | FFnet | Video Q&A Session | About My Webcomic | Commission Me (dA)
"A lion may be stronger, but a wolf doesn't jump through hoops."
Image
Pic (c) BlazingBlackMage
Gemini
Arms wide open, I stand alone

User avatar

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I'm no hero, and I'm not made of stone

Posts: 5376
Joined: August 15th, 2012, 6:21 pm
Location: The Fell
Nickname(s): Twin, Janna, Janana
Telegram: @icelandichorse
Pride Points: 97

Re: A few concerns about the state of this community

Postby ScarXZira10889 » December 8th, 2016, 11:24 pm

Yes! I hope the population of members can grow back up! ;)
ScarXZira10889
Zira, Queen of PrideRock

User avatar

Years of membership

Well done, Kovu. Just like we've always planned.

Posts: 90
Joined: August 5th, 2016, 12:01 am
Location: At Pride rock with Scar.
Nickname(s): Zira,Scars devoted Queen
Gender: Female
Pride Points: 0

Re: A few concerns about the state of this community

Postby Timon the great » December 8th, 2016, 11:27 pm

GeminiGemelo wrote:TBH just gonna be blunt with you because I find this tiresome:

I don't "attack" people unless they've done something to deserve it. But if you're going to bring up random unrelated crap that's not related to the issue at hand: personally, you've repeatedly attacked my friends and removed PPs over petty reasons. You claim that people here are so unreasonable but you're literally the only one here who's militant about it. This has been going on for quite a while, btw.

So in short: I "attacked" you because I find your posts petty and annoying, and said so. If you can't shape up you're gonna have to deal with that. It has to do with your attitude, not that you voted Trump because honestly I don't really even care who you voted for.

My original statement also has nothing to do with these people being my friends. I have friends on the mod staff and I have friends in this group. I don't support people just because I'm their buddy. I'm not an idiot. Based on your replies I don't think you even fully realize the situation that is going on anyway.

TL;DR Chill out. Honestly. Stop derailing the thread with unrelated things. It's not gonna make people like you any more.


You can have your opinion on the matter. But like I said, I'm sticking to all of my statements in here and because of what I explained about what I've wrote concerning this topic.
Last edited by Timon the great on December 8th, 2016, 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I found a place that was beyond my wildest dreams. But..., it still wasn't home." - Timon; Lion King 1 1/2 (3)

Image
______________________________________________________________

I believe in Jesus Christ my savior, and I am not afraid to admit it. If you are a Christian, please copy and paste this into your signature.

- If you were to die today, where will you spend eternity?
Timon the great
Looking Beyond What He Sees

User avatar

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Timon L. Berkowitz

Posts: 1439
Joined: May 27th, 2012, 3:04 am
Gender: Male
Pride Points: 21

Re: A few concerns about the state of this community

Postby FlipMode » December 8th, 2016, 11:39 pm

In an effort to try to get the thread back on track, I present you this boring and long post.



I completely agree with Moka but will add, as has been demonstrated with the last few posts, the drama in this community starts when people start to get personal.
Now I''m not saying you can't have fun, a little bit of trolling in good fun never hurts anyone so if you want to say "lol this character sucks" to someone you know likes that character, I think that's absolutely fine.
But don't get personal with it, don't start exposing them in public, bringing politics and goodness knows what other irrelevant things into it. If someone is over stepping the line, report it to the staff and it'll send the post to them for their review... That will do it. You don't have to do anything else.

And remember that at the end of the day your opinion on things doesn't actually matter, that's important to understand because then you realise that there's no point in getting wound up by someone else's either. 7 Billion+ people out there, odds of you meeting someone who thinks differently to you are quite high, a bit of respect and tolerance can go a long way.

And for the love of all things good and alcoholic in the World don't stoop to the levels of making multiple sock accounts, posting personal information, spreading rumours and hatred, borderline racism etc. All of this stuff can be avoided if we just report to the staff instead of taking it personally and replying to it.



But that also goes for the staff members as well; don't start going on Skype and calling members names behind their back (I've been shown proof of three different members of staff doing that this past week alone) and don't just instantly hand out a warning or a ban like "Oh that member is just being a troll so I'm going to warn them", maybe you guys can talk to both of the members in conflict and see what the problem actually is and THEN make a decision? Versus the other way around :)

Its going to take all of us to communicate better, as Moka said. But if we all try to do that going forward, I think we can get back to what makes this forum a 2nd home for so many, that being a community of like minded people who all have a common interest and just want to make friends with other fans.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Posts: 8746
Joined: March 30th, 2010, 9:35 pm
Gender: Male
Pride Points: 261

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback & How-To

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests