Good idea, or bad idea?

Hi! Welcome to the Feedback forum.
Before reading anything or asking anything; please check out the FAQs. Your question might be in there. However if you want a better understanding after reading the FAQs, like if it didn't explain it good enough, then by all means ask your question.

Please read the following before posting in this forum...

In this forum you will see an Announcement, and several "sticky" topics. The announcement is the Universal Board Rules. If you are new, read this before doing anything else! The sticky topics will stay above and separated from normal user-made topics in the forum. This is because they outline important information about the board. If you see a sticky topic concerning your issue, please reply with your question or concern in the correct topic. Moderators will see your reply within these topics. Before asking your question, be sure to read the topic and its first page especially. It contains information about your issue that is valuable and may even answer your questions. If the topic does not answer your question, ask your question within the topic, not the forum. If no sticky topic concerns your issue, then you are welcome to ask your own questions by creating a new topic within the forum.

Thank you for keeping the Board Help forum organized!

Good idea or bad idea?

Good
62%
Bad
38%

Total votes : 13

Re: Good idea, or bad idea?

Postby DGFone » September 25th, 2013, 11:53 pm

I always say it, and I will say it again to all those who claim that "Everything that is to be said about TLK has been said." No, it hasn't, as the recent SP topic just proved. What has gone are all the easy things to say about TLK, granted. Now if we want to have more original stuff in the TLK sections, we need to work harder, granted, but by no means does it translate to that there is nothing left with TLK. Also remember how TheLionPrince and Akril got in contact with the SP producers and gave us some nice info from that.

And RPing, Fanfiction, and Fanart are by no means dead. You just need to know where to look for them.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby FlipMode » September 26th, 2013, 12:33 am

Okay MotM / year is NOT a popularity contest, just thought I'd clear up that one. If you didn't get as many votes as you had hoped for, doesn't give you a right to bring other people down by claiming it is a popularity contest. Same thing happened when I was voted to become a moderator way back, it makes the winner feel bad and really is the battle cry of the sore loser in my honest opinion.

So the current system is fine as it is. However I would welcome some additional TLK specific awards yeah, it "MIGHT" even help boost activity in those forums.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby cleargreenwater » September 26th, 2013, 1:37 am

Oh hell, I'm just gonna go for it and give this whole thing a reality check.

Is someone, one of the people who are among the TLK section regulars that would be the ones to benefit from a policy change, actually [censored], themselves?

Or is this stemming from some larger hazy feeling of disconnect by the larger membership from the core purpose of the board?

Just things to think about.

If someone really complained, then think about that it's the internet and you should be in fandom because you enjoy the topic and something in the mix about it is important to you on some level, not be in it for prizes. It's hard wisdom, (and hard won, if you learn anything being a hyena fan it's that you aren't a big [censored] and exactly who all is, LOL,) and it's ridiculously easy to get carried away with it competitively out of all proportion, nearly everyone does at some point so be well & kind to yourself, but that's the ultimate absolute end truth of it.

If it's more of blanket discontent, then by all means, a re-organization and restructuring of the contests might be one way to effect a cure. Like AdAstra said, a different topic board I'm on has a yearly "Academy Awards" show, with a nominations round and a voting round on a whole slew of different categories, and it's a lot of fun and Big Thing/Exciting Yearly Event. But it might not fix the general malaise like everyone's hoping for either, just because messageboards & their usage are shifting in a sea-change. And even there, there are well-known/high profile "regulars" who win pretty predictably.

That said, it would be nice to have one large yearly event which would bring together all the different separate "strands" of activity on MLK.

There is one thing this other board does that I think is very important though--when nominating people to be in the running for the different categories, they REQUIRE that all nomination ballots/quizzes include nominations in EVERY category, so it encourages ALL participants to explore *every* activity area available on the board. No just nominating for say, RPing. No, if you are going to nominate for RPing, you better also fill out suggested nominations for all of the other categories, too, or your nominations are voided. Yearly community event, so go poke around your community enough to at least plug an arbitrary name in from sections you don't visit often! :lol:
Last edited by cleargreenwater on September 26th, 2013, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------------------

The Event that BROKE MLK...

Avatar artwork of my character by NQN, commissioned & used with permission.
TLKFAA account: http://fanart.lionking.org/Artists/ClearGreenWater/?+
cleargreenwater
Submersible Hyena

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

...Surfaces Occassionally.

Nickname(s): CGW
Pride Points: 39

Postby SlayerOfLight » September 26th, 2013, 1:49 am

Well, we all know that there's no such thing as equality on MLK. Some people here seem to get special treatment because of the fact they're bullied, depressed, or anything else like that.
SlayerOfLight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Nick, SOL
Pride Points: 125

Postby AdAstrα » September 26th, 2013, 9:07 am

Yeah, this is how it worked on the other forum I was on as well. You had to nominate people for ALL the categories so it was also a good way of getting people involved in the sections they wouldn't normally pay attention to etc. It really brought the community together rather than the opposite; since practically every active member actually did win *something* in the end. Peace and happiness for everyone *throws flowers everywhere*

I really think we should try something like that next year.

[quote="cleargreenwater"]
There is one thing this other board does that I think is very important though--when nominating people to be in the running for the different categories, they REQUIRE that all nomination ballots/quizzes include nominations in EVERY category, so it encourages ALL participants to explore *every* activity area available on the board. No just nominating for say, RPing. No, if you are going to nominate for RPing, you better also fill out suggested nominations for all of the other categories, too, or your nominations are voided. Yearly community event, so go poke around your community enough to at least plug an arbitrary name in from sections you don't visit often! :lol:[/quote]
I'm never going back
The past is in the past
AdAstrα

Nickname(s): Fabulous Frog
Pride Points: 117

Postby InsaneSeagull » September 26th, 2013, 4:29 pm

[quote="DGFone"]I always say it, and I will say it again to all those who claim that "Everything that is to be said about TLK has been said." [/quote]
I didn't say it has, nor any of us. If it is that way, this forum would be dead a long time ago. All I said is that's it's very unlikely that there will be a person who will have most of his posts in TLK section and say something new always. It would have to be some sort of TLK-genius, and still, even that person will have to run off the ideas someday. We are all humans, that's all.
InsaneSeagull
Asante sana!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Squash banana!

Nickname(s): Kiki, Sponge Bob
Pride Points: 105

Previous

Return to Feedback & How-To