Proxies

Hi! Welcome to the Feedback forum.
Before reading anything or asking anything; please check out the FAQs. Your question might be in there. However if you want a better understanding after reading the FAQs, like if it didn't explain it good enough, then by all means ask your question.

Please read the following before posting in this forum...

In this forum you will see an Announcement, and several "sticky" topics. The announcement is the Universal Board Rules. If you are new, read this before doing anything else! The sticky topics will stay above and separated from normal user-made topics in the forum. This is because they outline important information about the board. If you see a sticky topic concerning your issue, please reply with your question or concern in the correct topic. Moderators will see your reply within these topics. Before asking your question, be sure to read the topic and its first page especially. It contains information about your issue that is valuable and may even answer your questions. If the topic does not answer your question, ask your question within the topic, not the forum. If no sticky topic concerns your issue, then you are welcome to ask your own questions by creating a new topic within the forum.

Thank you for keeping the Board Help forum organized!

Re: Proxies

Postby Woeler » October 17th, 2012, 10:57 pm

[quote="Regulus"]I doubt anyone who would bother to register for an account on a lion king forum wouldn't have their own computer. :lol:

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... oxy_system

Looks like Wikipedia automatically blocks proxies from editing (unless it is from an existing account), and there are easy ways around it.

@Woeler: indeed, but the laptops may automatically use a home connection to connect to a filtering proxy from the school.[/quote]
I think they synchronize data as soon as it gets in range of the school server. That way the school can still see what is going on.
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 120

Postby Regulus » October 17th, 2012, 11:00 pm

Either way, it's possible to work around it by reinstalling the OS, installing a second OS, installing a new browser, using a virtual machine, or if all else fails, installing a new hard disk... but that all probably violates the ToS agreement. :P

That's why I never used my school laptop at home, and rarely at school.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby TheRoguePrince » October 17th, 2012, 11:04 pm

I still don't see why Moka was against this though. Can we do, like DGFone said, and have them not be allowed to register with a proxy?
Last edited by TheRoguePrince on October 17th, 2012, 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheRoguePrince

Postby Regulus » October 17th, 2012, 11:06 pm

Honestly, I don't know. I think it's possible Moka may have misunderstood the actual premise here. I'll bring it up next time he's around, just to be sure.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Postby FlipMode » October 17th, 2012, 11:08 pm

[quote="Moka"]
I do not want to have an absurdly tall wall of defense that new members have to climb in order to join this forum. At some point we need to draw the line between defense and how welcoming we are to new members. I believe that line is drawn where it needs to be drawn right now. New members shouldn't need to suffer an untrusting initial atmosphere just because we can't handle a few spam PM's once in a while.[/quote]

Defence not defense.
I agree with what you said though, and really this thread should have ended with that post because its now another one of "those threads". Moka, who owns this site FYI has said basically that the measures in place are sufficient. It is easy and quick to deal with trolls and dupe accounts. I mean they have to - make a dupe account (proxy or not), get their posts approved, log in at a time the staff are not on... Seems like a waste of time and effort considering all the staff need to do is press the ban button and its all gone for nothing.

That is a reasonable line of defence, without putting up any more barriers for new / existing members. As far as I am aware, if you are on a proxy, you are already going to be suspicious because (as has been said) there is no reason for you to be on one on this forum. Having it as a rule is not going to stop people from using them anyway considering they would probably be using it to break the rules in the first place.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby TheRoguePrince » October 17th, 2012, 11:11 pm

^It's "Defense" in the US :P

Anyways, I just don't want another PM attack to happen. I don't know if you guys noticed, but a lot of older members signed in yesterday. I'm guessing they received the PM and signed in to view it. So the attack was more successful than we give them credit for...

Which begs the question? Can we remove the option to send mass PMs to everyone in a certain group? That's how the attack happened yesterday. Is there any legit reason for that feature on MLK?
TheRoguePrince

Postby FlipMode » October 17th, 2012, 11:14 pm

^I do not care, I am from the UK, not the US - my language or get out lol

And nope, sometimes it is needed. For example, one could use it to advertise the Fanfic writing contest to fan fic writers. I remmeber a while back the groups were going to be revamped (it never happened) but if it did, the option to mass PM would have been handy ^.^
Staff members can also use it to PM all other staff members at once.

Again, there is nothing to do than to keep banning and ignoring them. If they want to waste their lives doing that, let them - has no effect on me. Even those old members who you said signed in, probably just saw it, rolled their eyes and logged back off. Which is the sensible thing to do, report + ignore.
Last edited by FlipMode on October 17th, 2012, 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby DGFone » October 17th, 2012, 11:16 pm

[quote="TheRoguePrince"]
Which begs the question? Can we remove the option to send mass PMs to everyone in a certain group? That's how the attack happened yesterday. Is there any legit reason for that feature on MLK?[/quote]

I used it once to inform basically everyone that there would be a solar eclipse (didn't know if it was sufficient to warrant a topic or not). Moka wasn't too happy when I told him about it (basically said to crate said topic), but other member's responses were more positive. Another case would be the MLK TinyChat information.

So to answer your question: Yes, there are legitimate reasons to use the mass receive PM option. But they are very rare and far in between.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Regulus » October 17th, 2012, 11:18 pm

Both defense and defence are correct, just like tire/tyre or gray/grey. Same difference.

Though I do agree with the rest, Flip. Really, it's not that big of a deal, no matter what, because hardly anything would change.

And with that thought, I think we're beating a dead horse at this point.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Postby FlipMode » October 17th, 2012, 11:26 pm

[quote="Regulus"]
And with that thought, I think we're beating a dead horse at this point.[/quote]

Looks to me as if that has been the case for the past five pages.
Well I wash my hands of this madness.
I guess you could say I am on the FENSE about this....
Oh good Lord, even I cringed at that one...
FlipMode

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback & How-To