Proxies

Hi! Welcome to the Feedback forum.
Before reading anything or asking anything; please check out the FAQs. Your question might be in there. However if you want a better understanding after reading the FAQs, like if it didn't explain it good enough, then by all means ask your question.

Please read the following before posting in this forum...

In this forum you will see an Announcement, and several "sticky" topics. The announcement is the Universal Board Rules. If you are new, read this before doing anything else! The sticky topics will stay above and separated from normal user-made topics in the forum. This is because they outline important information about the board. If you see a sticky topic concerning your issue, please reply with your question or concern in the correct topic. Moderators will see your reply within these topics. Before asking your question, be sure to read the topic and its first page especially. It contains information about your issue that is valuable and may even answer your questions. If the topic does not answer your question, ask your question within the topic, not the forum. If no sticky topic concerns your issue, then you are welcome to ask your own questions by creating a new topic within the forum.

Thank you for keeping the Board Help forum organized!

Proxies

Postby TheLionPrince » October 17th, 2012, 5:22 am

So I recently joined another forum, and when I did, they had a notice that said if I registered with a proxy, my account would not be approved for posting. I was wondering if we could implement something like that on MLK. Proxies have no legit purpose for a lion king forum. It would probably put an end to all of the recent troll attacks a few days ago, whom, I'm certain, use phony IPs. Just my two cents, though.

Your thoughts and concerns?
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Re: Proxies

Postby DGFone » October 17th, 2012, 6:24 am

Well, trolls use proxies because most of the time, they are ex-members who had their IPs blocked, so they can't use their real IPs to create a dupe to troll with.

But to be honest, I think that this topic would have been best if sent to the mod team though the Feeedback page, because at any rate, the mods will have to think about it, but the trolls will see this topic as a negative reaction to their attacks - which is what they want and only encourages them to troll some more.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby TheRoguePrince » October 17th, 2012, 6:27 am

[quote="Banana"]Some people like me need proxies to access MLK when we're in school or other places that block internet forums. Anway, how does banning proxies deter trolls? I'm pretty sure they use their real IPs when posting.... I don't see the point of this at all. :/[/quote]
Why am I not surprised you are the one saying that? ;)

Well, first off, back when I was in high school, forums were never blocked. I honestly don't think you should be on MLK at school anyway, don't you have better things to do? And, well, I know I'm not suppose to speculate, but it's obvious the people who spammed MLK (whether be SH/Kops/Donut/Others) have been banned from MLK before, and thus have their IPs banned. Therefore a new account would require a new IP address. I like the idea personally
TheRoguePrince

Postby WildSimba » October 17th, 2012, 7:26 am

It's REALLY not that big of a deal, the staff just continue doing their job and these people get banned accordingly. All doing this would do, is possibly scare new members off.
"There are you, you drive like a demon from station to station," - David Bowie
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Ain't it Funny how it happens

Nickname(s): WS, David
Telegram: Ask me through PM
Pride Points: 122

Postby Moka » October 17th, 2012, 7:28 am

That and, sometimes people have ISPs that are detected as proxies.
Moka
:D

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Woeler » October 17th, 2012, 7:39 am

[quote="TheRoguePrince"]
Why am I not surprised you are the one saying that? ;)
[/quote]
Indeed...

Anyway sounds like a good idea. Proxies are not needed here.... Unless you're a banned person...
I believe proxies are useless when your school blocks forums. Proxies are not a way around the block. You need TOR or VPN to do that.
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 120

Postby FlipMode » October 17th, 2012, 7:45 am

The thing is some legit users have what is called a static IP (given a new ip with each visit) and those are recognised as proxies even though they aren't actually using a proxy server as such...
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby DGFone » October 17th, 2012, 7:53 am

[quote="FlipMode"]The thing is some legit users have what is called a static IP (given a new ip with each visit) and those are recognised as proxies even though they aren't actually using a proxy server as such...[/quote]

Just to go all technical on you, I believe you are referring to a dynamic IP. Static means stable and unchanging, so an IP that changes is dynamic, not static. And there are different kinds of dynamic IPs, those that change rarely, to I've heard even once every fifteen minutes if not even more often.
Just checked: just as its name implies, a static IP never changes.

And my household uses a dynamic IP, so I assume that many innocent members can suffer if dynamic IPs will get blocked.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG

Postby FlipMode » October 17th, 2012, 7:58 am

^ indeed, I literally forgot which was which for a second and took a 50-50 guess lol but yeah dynamic IPs are what I meant but the point remains, some innocent accounts may be effected from banning proxy IPs
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Woeler » October 17th, 2012, 9:31 am

[quote="DGFone"][quote="FlipMode"]The thing is some legit users have what is called a static IP (given a new ip with each visit) and those are recognised as proxies even though they aren't actually using a proxy server as such...[/quote]

Just to go all technical on you, I believe you are referring to a dynamic IP. Static means stable and unchanging, so an IP that changes is dynamic, not static. And there are different kinds of dynamic IPs, those that change rarely, to I've heard even once every fifteen minutes if not even more often.
Just checked: just as its name implies, a static IP never changes.

And my household uses a dynamic IP, so I assume that many innocent members can suffer if dynamic IPs will get blocked.[/quote]
Dynamic IP's do change. But they don't undergo major changes, just a few numbers. If traced, the ip will show the exact same location and information. This is impossible for proxies. We should look at people that log in at 6am from an ip in the US and at 8pm from an ip in India for example. Mods can easily see the difference between a dynamic ip and a proxy (if they do their homework lol)

Also, I misread something. You can in fact go around a blockage with proxies. However, If you're not supposed to go here, don't go here. Using proxies will confuse the mods and admins. If you use them, deal with the consequences.

I'm sorry but it's way to easy to say ''I need it in school'' while in fact this could be a duplicate account from people we don't want here.

We need to realize what damage proxies have done to this community. Various members have come back (silently). Last night was a nazi pm festival, Nazi pridepoints, Regular spam, abuse of members and the systematic trolling events.

I say: Make a rule that forbids proxies, but do educate yourself on the difference between dynamic ip addresses and proxies. There are differences and they can easily be seen.
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Pride Points: 120

Next

Return to Feedback & How-To