New Members

Hi! Welcome to the Feedback forum.
Before reading anything or asking anything; please check out the FAQs. Your question might be in there. However if you want a better understanding after reading the FAQs, like if it didn't explain it good enough, then by all means ask your question.

Please read the following before posting in this forum...

In this forum you will see an Announcement, and several "sticky" topics. The announcement is the Universal Board Rules. If you are new, read this before doing anything else! The sticky topics will stay above and separated from normal user-made topics in the forum. This is because they outline important information about the board. If you see a sticky topic concerning your issue, please reply with your question or concern in the correct topic. Moderators will see your reply within these topics. Before asking your question, be sure to read the topic and its first page especially. It contains information about your issue that is valuable and may even answer your questions. If the topic does not answer your question, ask your question within the topic, not the forum. If no sticky topic concerns your issue, then you are welcome to ask your own questions by creating a new topic within the forum.

Thank you for keeping the Board Help forum organized!

Re: New Members

Postby Regulus » October 10th, 2012, 3:28 am

[quote="TheRoguePrince"]I just thought of something. There are a lot of nonmembers who go to the Den.
If we cut off access to the Den for non-members, traffic for MLK might drop a lot.[/quote]

That would be a good thing, I think. Right now, there's 8 guests in the TLK section, and 81 in the den. Seriously. :lol:
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby DGFone » October 10th, 2012, 3:28 am

Lol, deleting topics as a reaction to troll attacks will only encourage more trolling.

The way I see it, we are partially at fault here, for reacting so loudly to every single troll attack or drama that has happened lately. By being so loud, we are only encouraging trolling, because we are creating a pit of troll potential.

If a troll attack happens, but all that results is a ban of the troll and the trolling material removed, without anyone making too big of a fuss, troll attacks would wane. On the other hand, if we react to every troll like it's the end of the world, the trolls will love to bring the rapture a little bit sooner to us.

So as the British Government said: "keep calm and carry on". Let the mods to their job, and don't panic when a troll comes around.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby TheRoguePrince » October 10th, 2012, 3:35 am

^Lol, DGFone, this is actually two different issues.

1. The Troll Attack
2. New Member Rights

It's just a concidence that they are being discussed at the same time. No connection whatsoever :P
TheRoguePrince

Postby DGFone » October 10th, 2012, 3:47 am

Oops. Wrong topic. Move post to the other topic then? :lol:

Anyways, about member's rights: I doubt that removing new member's rights will do anything. Trolls will be trolls. Even if they will have to post 50 times and get 5 pride points, if they want to troll, they will. If only, it will mean that they will not troll but do so by posting bad content, or worse.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Postby TheRoguePrince » October 10th, 2012, 3:59 am

[quote="DGFone"]Even if they will have to post 50 times and get 5 pride points, if they want to troll, they will. If only, it will mean that they will not troll but do so by posting bad content, or worse.[/quote]
Well, to be clear, we are talking about a massive troll attack, which is different from day-to-day trolls. That's like comparing petty criminals to terrorists.

Like I said on the other topic, both of these trolls had enough posts and enough pride points to remove them. I think an option for the staff to remove them (as I've been assured this isn't possible at the moment) would be the best. Limiting their access to the Den would only result in Lion King topics getting Nazi images on them.

Anyways, I think the power of humiliation is the best route. When the trolls remain anonymous, they can do whatever without any social backlash from the community. But since KK has admitted that the perpetrators were Kops and Simbaholic, they (and others) will be less likely to do stuff if everyone on MLK will eventually find out who were the ones who caused this.
TheRoguePrince

Postby DGFone » October 10th, 2012, 4:03 am

[quote="TheRoguePrince"]
Anyways, I think the power of humiliation is the best route. When the trolls remain anonymous, they can do whatever without any social backlash from the community. But since KK has admitted that the perpetrators were Kops and Simbaholic, they (and others) will be less likely to do stuff if everyone on MLK will eventually find out who were the ones who caused this.[/quote]

I agree. Not to mention, it will give the mods more support when they say "we banned X member for this reason" versus the current option of "I just found out that you guys banned member X. Why did you do that? [you Nazis]"
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Postby TheLionPrince » October 23rd, 2012, 8:38 am

So are we ever gonna do this? I think it would be great myself. Here's my idea:

Until a member reaches 10 posts and been here for a week (or two), they cannot see
-Member HQ
-The Den
-The Chatroom

We already have the Member HQ section available just for members, but just as many, if not more, personal info is stored in the Den. Besides, any stalker can create an account and see it without having their post approved.

Thoughts?
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby TheRoguePrince » October 23rd, 2012, 8:40 am

I think that's a great idea. I'm all for members getting involved, and asking for 10 TLK posts before they can go offtopic is not asking much at all. The week waiting thing is good too. It will eliminate all those members who stick around for a week and then leave.
TheRoguePrince

Postby Kitva Hyperlink » October 23rd, 2012, 9:53 am

^seems logic. This is a TLK forum.
Hello Guy's
I have left MLK now
Kitva Hyperlink
LinkCoolKitva

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Check Y'all

Nickname(s): Link, Kitva KKVK4
Pride Points: 17

Postby Woeler » October 23rd, 2012, 3:58 pm

make the whole offtopic section visible to members only and apply a certain number of posts until you can access them.

nuff said
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Pride Points: 120

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback & How-To