Brainstorming

Hi! Welcome to the Feedback forum.
Before reading anything or asking anything; please check out the FAQs. Your question might be in there. However if you want a better understanding after reading the FAQs, like if it didn't explain it good enough, then by all means ask your question.

Please read the following before posting in this forum...

In this forum you will see an Announcement, and several "sticky" topics. The announcement is the Universal Board Rules. If you are new, read this before doing anything else! The sticky topics will stay above and separated from normal user-made topics in the forum. This is because they outline important information about the board. If you see a sticky topic concerning your issue, please reply with your question or concern in the correct topic. Moderators will see your reply within these topics. Before asking your question, be sure to read the topic and its first page especially. It contains information about your issue that is valuable and may even answer your questions. If the topic does not answer your question, ask your question within the topic, not the forum. If no sticky topic concerns your issue, then you are welcome to ask your own questions by creating a new topic within the forum.

Thank you for keeping the Board Help forum organized!

Re: Brainstorming

Postby Regulus » April 22nd, 2012, 5:49 am

Whoa, take it easy there. You could hurt someone being rational like that. :P
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby Azdgari » April 22nd, 2012, 5:56 am

Guess the Member with Kitva Hyperlink: show
"Hates me
Nothing but facts
Male"

"...Woeler?"

"ya"
Azdgari
big, wide turns

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 114

Postby Moka » April 23rd, 2012, 2:59 am

From the sound of it a lot of our rules are fine to people. It's just how we pass out warnings and punishment that bothers some people. We'll deal with that part later. This topic is for discussing the rules.

We already have a filter (that can be disabled in the UCP) for some heavy swear words, but it doesn't catch everything. People are suggesting we put out a huge list of swear worlds that are and aren't allowed. Not only is this nearly impossible to catalog and classify every swear word, but if we apply the same level of detail to this rule as the others, we'll end up with an entire 30-page manual of exactly how to behave and what not to do. This is not the direction I want to go with the rules. We should be making things more personal and be removing the red tape, not adding more.

If you have the slightest inkling that you shouldn't use a certain swear word, why use it at all? Despite what Patrick says about them, they are not "sentence enhancers." Still, we need a rule against it. The warnings and punishment needs to change though. Instead of banning someone for a week, mods should edit out the swear word and PM that member asking them not to swear.
Moka
:D

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 138

Postby DGFone » April 23rd, 2012, 7:14 am

I looked, and the swear word filter is enabled on by default, which is good. But this makes me wonder how good it is, seeing as how much of an issue swearing is creating. I know that no automatic system is 100% foolproof, but it sometimes felt like the filter never even worked.

I would like to know which words do get filtered, just to get the general idea. I would appreciate it if a mod would PM or email me the list of words filtered, (obviously, posting them here would be a bad idea), so that I can see if the thing works at all or not. I hope that this at least doesn't qualify as 'backseat modding'.

So as for what Moka said: I don't think we should be adding any more rules. If the goal in the end is to make every case proper, meaning with mod involvement, then the less rules the better. If the mods feel like a post used a swear word to an extreme point, it really should go down to editing and a PM. Preferably have the member edit the post themselves.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG

Postby WildSimba » April 23rd, 2012, 8:08 am

[quote="DGFone"]I looked, and the swear word filter is enabled on by default, which is good. But this makes me wonder how good it is, seeing as how much of an issue swearing is creating. I know that no automatic system is 100% foolproof, but it sometimes felt like the filter never even worked.

I would like to know which words do get filtered, just to get the general idea. I would appreciate it if a mod would PM or email me the list of words filtered, (obviously, posting them here would be a bad idea), so that I can see if the thing works at all or not. I hope that this at least doesn't qualify as 'backseat modding'.

So as for what Moka said: I don't think we should be adding any more rules. If the goal in the end is to make every case proper, meaning with mod involvement, then the less rules the better. If the mods feel like a post used a swear word to an extreme point, it really should go down to editing and a PM. Preferably have the member edit the post themselves.[/quote]

It works, but like any automatic censoring system, it's very easy to find loopholes.
"There are you, you drive like a demon from station to station," - David Bowie
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Ain't it Funny how it happens

Nickname(s): WS, David
Telegram: Ask me through PM
Pride Points: 122

Postby FlipMode » April 23rd, 2012, 10:40 am

[quote]

List of Slight Offences
Disobeying the Signature or Avatar rules. (I think this needs to be increased a little, had trouble uploading my current sig and it limits transparency options

Light swearing. Please keep questionable words to a minimum. This should just be allowed, BUT mods may edit it and PM you if they are concerned about it.

Double posting within a day (24 hours). Double posting is the act of posting in a topic and then posting again in that same topic before anyone else has a chance to post. Use the edit feature to modify your posts and avoid double posting. Accidental double posting (submitting the same post twice) is obvious to us and will not be counted as double posting. Ask us to remove the accidental double post and we will.
Posting in inappropriate areas. Each forum has a description which you should read before deciding which forum to post your topic. Fine with this, though I hate how people think that updating a thread with new info like a month later is double posting.

Advertising anything not related to The Lion King outside of the designated forum. Advertising anything not related to TLK can be posted in the OT Links forum (with its own set of rules inside of the forum that must be followed). Advertising anything TLK-related is allowed and welcomed. We have a forum for TLK-Related Links & Advertising. Why does this exist? Cant you just move the OT thread into the OT forum for them?

Posting in any language other than English. While a few words in a foreign language may be acceptable in some parts of the forum that are not geared toward discussion, we ask you refrain from engaging in discussions in foreign languages. International members are more than welcome, but English must be used in all discussions. I guess.

Altering quotes in a way that misrepresents what was originally said. Fine with that.

List of General Offences
Discriminating against members for their race, culture, age, religion, political preference, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation or disability. MLK is open to everyone who is interested in discussing The Lion King. Amen

Trolling, baiting, flaming, abusing, or bullying others. Remain courteous and respectful to all members at all times. Even though I think people need to pay more attention to this, I agree with it.

Posting anything rude, insulting, vulgar or generally offensive. Needs a little clarification.

Posting anything that will promote arguing. This includes confrontational topics that are bound to bring about arguing such as religion. Nope, do not like this one. Only a few people were bringing those threads done, and if you were doing your job of moderating these discussions instead of closing them at the first sign of disagreement...

Swearing or otherwise creating a child-unfriendly environment. Let's keep MLK safe for all ages!
Stealing another's work. Do not claim anyone else's work (art, fan fiction, etc.) as your own. You may not use someone else's art in your signature or avatar unless you get their permission or they made it for you as a gift. Fine with both of these, I think you should say that credit must be given when doing so.

Continuously committing slight offences. If you commit a slight offence more then 3 times, we count it as a general offence. More THAN not then, lol

Discussing moderation actions in public forums. If a member has a concern with a moderation action, that member is welcome to discuss it with staff via private message. The staff will never publicly discuss the warnings or suspensions of any member. We ask that you return the favor, whether it is about yourself or another member. Lets get rid of this.

Backseat moderating. Backseat moderating is when a member of the forum acts as if they are a staff member on the forum. Members are urged to bring things to the staff's attention, instead of taking matters into their own hands. Lets get rid of this. We have threads about how members are encouraged to report and ignore.

List of Severe Offences
Being under 13 years of age and failing to properly fill out the COPPA form during registration. More information...Yeah I guess thats the law.

Having multiple accounts. If you are found to have more than one account, all accounts will be permanently deactivated. You can talk with us to get access to the forum for ONE account.
Distributing material that contains viruses, spyware or any other malicious code or harmful programs.
Attempting to gain unauthorized access to another member's account or the site in general.
Sexually harassing other members. We will not tolerate sexual harassment, pedophiles, perverts, etc.
Aaaaand thatsokay as well.
For Your Information
If you want to change your username, you must contact a staff member via PM. You are only allowed to have 2 name changes a year, so be sure that the name you want is something you'd want to stick with for a while.
Members are allowed (and encouraged) to create duplicate topics if the topic they are replicating has not been active in 30 days (posted in within 30 days). If the old topic gets bumped for any reason while the new topic is active (posted in within 30 days), the old topic will be locked.
If you see anyone breaking the rules, you are encouraged to use the report link on every post or PM to bring it to the staff's attention.
We do not delete any accounts, topics, or posts by request (except accidental double posts).
We will lock topics by request of topic creator.

Useful Links
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
Information about Groups
Feedback & How-To Forum
Please abide by these rules, and hopefully we'll all have a great time here!

If there are any questions, don't hesitate to ask me or another staff member. You can contact us via PM.
Thank you![/quote]
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby FlipMode » June 10th, 2012, 8:53 am

Okay in addition something that has been bothering me lately; every time we get a new member who is 13, they end up making a load if dumb posts and being viewed as trolls, spammers etc. not only is this no good for the site, it's no good for them either. I don't think we should disallow 13s to be unable to join, but maybe an extended probation so staff can monitor some of their posts?

And one more thing; off site trolling. I don't think it's right to let your members run around leaving hate on other members YouTube, Facebook or whatever and then say "oh but it's not breaking the rules here on MLK so we take no responsibility or action."
FlipMode

Pride Points: 266

Postby Kopalover » June 10th, 2012, 4:27 pm

[quote="FlipMode"]Okay in addition something that has been bothering me lately; every time we get a new member who is 13, they end up making a load if dumb posts and being viewed as trolls, spammers etc. not only is this no good for the site, it's no good for them either. I don't think we should disallow 13s to be unable to join, but maybe an extended probation so staff can monitor some of their posts?

And one more thing; off site trolling. I don't think it's right to let your members run around leaving hate on other members YouTube, Facebook or whatever and then say "oh but it's not breaking the rules here on MLK so we take no responsibility or action."[/quote]

I agree 100% on this. It gets annoying when all I see is spam, and dump post. I think it should be considered trolling, in a way, to post unneeded topic and comments.
Here's an example, of a real life situation;
If someone was working with you, and you were trying to work. But they kept annoying you and saying unneeded things, or repeating themselves over and over. That would get pretty annoying, right? And yes, it is annoying seeing unneeded post everywhere.
Yes, I do agree with Flip, that the MoDs should monitor the younger members regarding this topic.
Sorry if this doesn't make sense. I'm tired and.. well.. ya'll should get it.

Also, regarding the 'Swearing rule', I think small words should be aloud, but not heavy words like the C word, F word, or N word (ties into racism).
Signatures by Shadowfax, thank you love <3
Kopalover
X-RAAYY

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

...AND VAAAAAV

Nickname(s): Zoe, KL
Pride Points: 33

Postby DGFone » June 10th, 2012, 9:59 pm

[quote="FlipMode"]Okay in addition something that has been bothering me lately; every time we get a new member who is 13, they end up making a load if dumb posts and being viewed as trolls, spammers etc. not only is this no good for the site, it's no good for them either. I don't think we should disallow 13s to be unable to join, but maybe an extended probation so staff can monitor some of their posts?

And one more thing; off site trolling. I don't think it's right to let your members run around leaving hate on other members YouTube, Facebook or whatever and then say "oh but it's not breaking the rules here on MLK so we take no responsibility or action."[/quote]
+1. I approve.
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG

Postby Woeler » June 10th, 2012, 10:43 pm

Plus one
Plus een
Plus ein
Plus un
Plus uno
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 120

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback & How-To