[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
View topic - Brainstorming — My Lion King Forum

Brainstorming

Hi! Welcome to the Feedback forum.
Before reading anything or asking anything; please check out the FAQs. Your question might be in there. However if you want a better understanding after reading the FAQs, like if it didn't explain it good enough, then by all means ask your question.

Please read the following before posting in this forum...

In this forum you will see an Announcement, and several "sticky" topics. The announcement is the Universal Board Rules. If you are new, read this before doing anything else! The sticky topics will stay above and separated from normal user-made topics in the forum. This is because they outline important information about the board. If you see a sticky topic concerning your issue, please reply with your question or concern in the correct topic. Moderators will see your reply within these topics. Before asking your question, be sure to read the topic and its first page especially. It contains information about your issue that is valuable and may even answer your questions. If the topic does not answer your question, ask your question within the topic, not the forum. If no sticky topic concerns your issue, then you are welcome to ask your own questions by creating a new topic within the forum.

Thank you for keeping the Board Help forum organized!

Brainstorming

Postby Moka » April 19th, 2012, 8:56 pm

Moka
:D

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 138

Re: Brainstorming

Postby WildSimba » April 19th, 2012, 9:00 pm

Profanity I still think what I said before about it. Any word allowed in moderation, except for derogatory words. I think in moderation would mean that they can't just obviously go around saying the F word everywhere around the forum, but like once in a while is fine, like if it says it in an image or something.

Other then that, I think that the language rule should be gotten rid of. It kind of goes against the not discriminating rule...
"There are you, you drive like a demon from station to station," - David Bowie
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Ain't it Funny how it happens

Nickname(s): WS, David
Telegram: Ask me through PM
Pride Points: 122

Postby Moka » April 19th, 2012, 9:05 pm

I don't really think we need the foreign language rule either.

I'm fine with a bit of a gray area for moderating the profanity usage. If you're using it excessively, a moderator may PM you and ask you to tone it down a little. I don't think there has to be an quantifiable way of determining if someone has used profanity too much.
Moka
:D

Postby WildSimba » April 19th, 2012, 9:08 pm

Yeah, in my opinion it's an even bigger gray area to say anything up to Damn is allowed. Everyone's idea on the severeness of bad words is different, and that what I think is the part that needs to be fixed. lol
"There are you, you drive like a demon from station to station," - David Bowie
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Ain't it Funny how it happens

Nickname(s): WS, David
Telegram: Ask me through PM
Pride Points: 122

Postby DGFone » April 19th, 2012, 9:28 pm

I agree about profanity. Let everyone decide what is a good level where they want to limit it themselves, but if the mods feel like it's excessive, just PM the offender to inform them. If we start deciding on which words to keep or ban... it's gonna get ugly fast.

Rules I think we should have: Honestly, the less rules the better. We have mods for a reason. Let's keep the mods around so that they can keep MLK a friendly and welcoming place. Let's not keep the mods around to enforce some text.

Rules I don't like: I really don't like the "no backseat modding rule". If you want to see MLK expand, it is better to allow members to inform one another of the rules than have the mods waste all their time telling new members the same thing over and over again. In a big forum I go to (thousands of users) backseat modding is actively encouraged.

Also, the biggest issue I saw with this rule is that the difference between "backseat modding" and "nudging new members in the right direction" is much like the difference in the to phrases: wording. And you can't ban members for being rude. Warn them? Yes. But ban?
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG

Postby Regulus » April 19th, 2012, 10:21 pm

[quote="WildSimba"]Yeah, in my opinion it's an even bigger gray area to say anything up to Damn is allowed. Everyone's idea on the severeness of bad words is different, and that what I think is the part that needs to be fixed. lol[/quote]

Exactly. It's not really about the word, it's about the context. IMO there is no difference between saying "screw you," and "f*** you." One of them is much more vulgar than the other, but they mean the exact same thing. The words themselves should not be of any concern. What is a concern is how they are used. Even words that aren't exactly profane can still be used in a derogatory way, such as in the phrase "you deserve to die." IMO that's one of the worst things I've ever heard.

Of course, not everyone agrees with me, and that's exactly why rules like this only cause trouble.

[quote="DGFone"]Rules I don't like: I really don't like the "no backseat modding rule". If you want to see MLK expand, it is better to allow members to inform one another of the rules than have the mods waste all their time telling new members the same thing over and over again. In a big forum I go to (thousands of users) backseat modding is actively encouraged.[/quote]

I was going to say the same thing.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby Panda-chan » April 20th, 2012, 12:32 am

Few points:
- I think profanity is fine as long as it isn't excessive or directed at someone. I think it crosses the line when it turns into personal attacks and rudeness. And obviously racial/sexist/whatever slurs shouldn't be allowed at all.
- The backseat modding rule does sound a bit silly tbh. Members should be encouraged to help others follow the rules when the mods are away.
- The languages rule doesn't seem dumb to me. :/ If someone posted an entire paragraph in Spanish in the middle of a discussion, it would be a pain in the butt to run it all under google translate and reply in the same language. There are other TLK forums dedicated to fans who speak another language.
- I also think the "no discussing mod actions" rule is ridiculous. It makes the forum look shady and I've never seen this rule on any other TLKforum.
- I think you should add "posting or linking to illegal material" as a severe offense... seems like a bit of a loophole in the Rules imo.
- Derp. Everything else looks good to me lol.
D̵̢̨̧̛͔̖͍̝̤̫̼̝̬̤̪̟͇͙̊̏̎͛̇̏͊͌̃̂̈́͂̒̄̅̚̚͘͝R̸̥̙͂̀̾̑̊̀̉́̀́̐̄̊̿̈́̄͑̐̕͝I̴̗̯̼̳͉͕̺̤̖̝̪̫̊͛͝͠Ǹ̵̨̧͈̮̦̖̝͈̥̗͕̭͉̺̲͕̥͔͎̹͖͙͇̲̘̩̞͓̦̦̯̮̙̜̼̝͈̣̺̰̺̟̙̫̫ͅK̶̢̢̡̧̢̛̻͎̘͉̦͚̳̗̱̗̮̫̲͎̟͚͖̠̣̺͎̠̤͈̩̞͈͚̣̳̟̣̓͊͊̍̀̇͆́͐̔̔̅̿̅̋̈̈́̔̈̒̌̆̃̇͗̂̐̽́͊̋͗̚̕͘͜͜͠͝͝ ̴̧̧̢̧̧̢̛̦̗̦̭͔̝͎̘͍͚͈̰̦̲͍̥͚̱͓̦̙̞̱̜̹̍̉́̿̃͆̆̾̀̍̊͛̈́̽̈́̀̋̒̾͗͗͂̾̊̇̃̈́̋́̓̄̂̐͊͂̏̿̅͂̚͘̚͜͠͝͠ͅͅͅͅW̵̢̧̨̥͇̳̩͍̪̓̉͊̓̏͜͠Ã̵̧̨͍͚̭̱̦̯̣͓̱̫͑͋̋̾̎͑̽̔̒͆̉͒͑͆̎͑̑̒͋̑̀̒̿͑̄͋̒͆̑͆̔̈̈́͂͆̾̾̌̃̏̊̓͘͜͝͠͠T̸̨̧̛̮̙̰͇̹̭̥̙̝̱̼̥͖̟̃̔̑̒̓̈́͂̈́̂̓̂̎̋͊̌͋̂͂̃̂͝͠͠͝ͅĘ̴̧̡̢̧̡̠͉͉͕̤̳̘̖̙̭͙͕̻͍̖̗͙̯͈͔͋̄̾̄͛͌͌͒͛̇̎͋̉̈́̆̈́̍̎̆̒͑̒̅̋̊̄̈̿͒̈̋̾̊́̔̚͝͠͝͠ͅŖ̸̠̫͓̞͈̫̉̂
Panda-chan

STAY HYDRATED, FOLKS

Nickname(s): Weeb trash
Telegram: 6834232905344686445634231897968563522324236894284563523722616678
Pride Points: 108

Postby FlipMode » April 20th, 2012, 8:44 am

Profanity rule needs to GTFO, it doesn't offend anyone when it's not directed at them and even if some kids mum dies get offended, since when did they become so hot [censored] that we all have to stop what we are doing just to make sure it is okay by them?

Backseat modding should be fine too... To an extent.

Not goin to lie here, the rules their selves were okay before really, the real problem is the way the staff (and this doesent apply to all of you) are enforcing them. It is utter rubbish that some of you are so sensitive that anything that even accidentally borderlines breaking a rule is in your opinion worth a warning. And then you don't even discuss it with each other either, you just go "Yep I thinks it's worth a warning so I must be right."
Case in point: Nobody thought I deserved my ban for what I did, accept for the person who gave it to me, damn I even asked the staff and they didn't think so either but just because one single solitary person did, nothing was done about it. Again, what gives one person more of a right over anyone else on the forum just because they cried over a picture that no one else cared about?

Soo yeah, fix the warning system and make the staff team more cohesive, along with a few modifications to the rules and it's that simple.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Woeler » April 20th, 2012, 3:16 pm

No profanity is BS. As long as it's not getting personal it won't harm anyone.

ok this backseat modding rule thing is idiotic. If members can contribute in keeping the forum running smooth that should be allowed. It´s like you standing on the street watching someone break into a house and doing nothing until the cops arrive, way too late.

The whole banning system and decisions that are made need to get better. I agree with flip that some are waaaaaaay too sensitive.

how about a rule against whining about your life in the den? no? Kthxbye
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 120

Postby SlayerOfLight » April 20th, 2012, 3:45 pm

this banning system is pointless in my opinion. instead of being able to talk things out politely with the MLK elite, we can end up being in ''solitary confinement'' for a whole week, month, or even for eternity after that. All it takes are a few misunderstandings, or being ''misjudged'' by the MLK elite. I agree trolls need to be dealed with, but this forum has become TOO strict. Perm-banning should only be a last resort when someone is literally trying to destroy this forum and wreak havoc only for his/her amusement.

but whatever I said here, is probally just about as worthless like a shoestring.
SlayerOfLight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Nick, SOL
Pride Points: 125

Next

Return to Feedback & How-To