SUGGESTION TIME! YEAH!!

Hi! Welcome to the Feedback forum.
Before reading anything or asking anything; please check out the FAQs. Your question might be in there. However if you want a better understanding after reading the FAQs, like if it didn't explain it good enough, then by all means ask your question.

Please read the following before posting in this forum...

In this forum you will see an Announcement, and several "sticky" topics. The announcement is the Universal Board Rules. If you are new, read this before doing anything else! The sticky topics will stay above and separated from normal user-made topics in the forum. This is because they outline important information about the board. If you see a sticky topic concerning your issue, please reply with your question or concern in the correct topic. Moderators will see your reply within these topics. Before asking your question, be sure to read the topic and its first page especially. It contains information about your issue that is valuable and may even answer your questions. If the topic does not answer your question, ask your question within the topic, not the forum. If no sticky topic concerns your issue, then you are welcome to ask your own questions by creating a new topic within the forum.

Thank you for keeping the Board Help forum organized!

SUGGESTION TIME! YEAH!!

Postby WildSimba » August 17th, 2010, 6:24 am

So this is only a suggestion so don't take it so hard, man. But, I was thinking, cause I saw it on some other forum (that long inspired), that there can be a password protected forum for just plain spam. Maybe this board can be one where you'd have to be invited by a mod, and it doesn't increment post counts. I was only thinking this, because there's some really nasty spam in the den, that kinda just pops up as soon as you enter the forum.

Maybe you can also put a few little goodies and stuff in there. I know it'd be cool if you had like a secret scavenger hunt or something. :P

Just a suggestion, ya know.
"There are you, you drive like a demon from station to station," - David Bowie
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Ain't it Funny how it happens

Nickname(s): WS, David
Telegram: Ask me through PM
Pride Points: 122

Re: SUGGESTION TIME! YEAH!!

Postby Azdgari » August 17th, 2010, 2:46 pm

Hreeeeeem? Don't we already have a topic for spam? Why should we need a whole forum? =P
Guess the Member with Kitva Hyperlink: show
"Hates me
Nothing but facts
Male"

"...Woeler?"

"ya"
Azdgari
big, wide turns

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 114

Postby TheRoguePrince » August 17th, 2010, 5:29 pm

Ya, a whole spam forum, dang.
TheRoguePrince

Postby WildSimba » August 17th, 2010, 8:19 pm

I meant for some of the more spammy threads people post in the den, not a topic meant for spam. As I said, it could be a password protected forum, which would only be given upon invitation. Of course it wouldn't increment your post count.

@TheRoguePrince - The Den is sorta a whole forum just for spam. I was just trying to suggest a way to make it a little more private, because it is kinda something you don't really want everyone - guests, and members alike to see everytime they click on the forum.
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby TheRoguePrince » August 17th, 2010, 8:21 pm

I wouldn't know, being as I joined like 8 days ago. I do try though.
TheRoguePrince

Postby Azdgari » August 17th, 2010, 8:30 pm

oO
Den isn't just for spam... spam is short pointless annoying messages (or something in that ballpark xD). The den is a general off-topic forum... Maybe we have different perceptions of spam. Running down the list of topics, which ones do you see as spam?

I think that it really is fine. It's not like guests are going to run through each individual forum and say "I see a spam post, I'm not joining!". In fact, as a guest I'd be even more put off at an exclusive forum like that. What dictates who is allowed in? Creating an invitational forum would almost certainly lead to conflict over who gets let in. Imagine any discontent around who gets a den and then magnify it times three. People will want to see what's going on in there and won't be too happy they aren't allowed in.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. In my opinion, things are running pretty smoothly as they are, aren't they?
"Hates me
Nothing but facts
Male"

"...Woeler?"

"ya"
Azdgari
big, wide turns

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby TheRoguePrince » August 17th, 2010, 8:31 pm

We fix unbroken things too often in the real world. Look what happens to us.
TheRoguePrince

Postby WildSimba » August 17th, 2010, 8:42 pm

[quote="Azdgari"]oO
Den isn't just for spam... spam is short pointless annoying messages (or something in that ballpark xD). The den is a general off-topic forum... Maybe we have different perceptions of spam. Running down the list of topics, which ones do you see as spam?

I think that it really is fine. It's not like guests are going to run through each individual forum and say "I see a spam post, I'm not joining!". In fact, as a guest I'd be even more put off at an exclusive forum like that. What dictates who is allowed in? Creating an invitational forum would almost certainly lead to conflict over who gets let in. Imagine any discontent around who gets a den and then magnify it times three. People will want to see what's going on in there and won't be too happy they aren't allowed in.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. In my opinion, things are running pretty smoothly as they are, aren't they?[/quote]

The being let in or not thing was not really that big of an issue on the last forum. The same thing can go for any other board/section that you'd have to be invited to get into/get in general. This whole conflict was obviously for the most part avoided by staff with the member rooms. I mean, if your really a good member and deserve to get in, then are they really going to hold you back if you really want to see it?

Yes, spam is stupid pointless annoying messages, and I see plenty of it in The Den. It's advertised as a General forum, but it tends to get very spammy, and that does make it took unprofessional. I know, before I join a forum, I lurk around a little bit. In fact, most forums make it a point that you need to lurk more, in order to get down some things that should not have to be asked. If most people lurk, and see a bunch of spam in the forum, even if it's in one section, they of course will not want to join.

As it turns out, the spam is very bad on this forum. A lot of the time, when it appears it will eigther turn into an arquement, or will turn members against eachother. The Den certainly isn't the only place I've seen spam in, but The Den seems to be the Headquarters of where it lies.
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Postby TheRoguePrince » August 17th, 2010, 8:46 pm

If it's causing this much confrontation then it needs to be addressed. This forum is meant for addressing the matters of TLK not fighting about them.
TheRoguePrince

Postby Azdgari » August 17th, 2010, 8:51 pm

Where is it very bad, man? I don't see it. =P

Maybe we have different views of spam. If people get off topic for a few posts and are goofing off, that's not spam in my opinion. That's people being people and having fun with one another, and that's pretty much accepted here as far as I can tell. I wouldn't want to be here if it wasn't.

And I guess we'll have to disagree on the forum thing. I'm pretty confident that creating a secret password protected forum where only staff-selected members are allowed to go will create conflict or at the very least resentment among members that believe they should be let in too.

And again, is it really worth it? It'd be going through a pretty extensive process (move all 'spam' topics out of den, make the new forum, create the rules for it, decide how members are chosen, deal with disputes, etc) simply because a prospective new member would lurk through, see a few off topic posts and then judge the entire forum based on it.

Rogue, we're not fighting. =P This is a thoughtful discussion, at least that's how I see it. I'm certainly not angry with WS at all--he threw out an idea and I'm giving my opinion on it. What's wrong with that? ^^
Last edited by Azdgari on August 17th, 2010, 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hates me
Nothing but facts
Male"

"...Woeler?"

"ya"
Azdgari
big, wide turns

Next

Return to Feedback & How-To