Ask The Character Threads - (suggestion)

Hi! Welcome to the Feedback forum.
Before reading anything or asking anything; please check out the FAQs. Your question might be in there. However if you want a better understanding after reading the FAQs, like if it didn't explain it good enough, then by all means ask your question.

Please read the following before posting in this forum...

In this forum you will see an Announcement, and several "sticky" topics. The announcement is the Universal Board Rules. If you are new, read this before doing anything else! The sticky topics will stay above and separated from normal user-made topics in the forum. This is because they outline important information about the board. If you see a sticky topic concerning your issue, please reply with your question or concern in the correct topic. Moderators will see your reply within these topics. Before asking your question, be sure to read the topic and its first page especially. It contains information about your issue that is valuable and may even answer your questions. If the topic does not answer your question, ask your question within the topic, not the forum. If no sticky topic concerns your issue, then you are welcome to ask your own questions by creating a new topic within the forum.

Thank you for keeping the Board Help forum organized!

Ask The Character Threads - (suggestion)

Postby KiarasMate » July 18th, 2010, 5:51 am

Well, seeing as I was re-directed to here in order to pose this suggestion, even though I feel as it doesn't really pertain to the forum as a whole, here goes anyways. :)

For the Ask The Characters threads, I think it would be in the interest of fairness to set a limit on how many of these threads a single member can create/run/manage over. currently right now, the majority of these threads are being monopolized by four members in general, and while I personally don't have a problem with this fact and don't really want to be in charge of any of the threads myself, I can imagine that there are probably some members who would like to have one of these threads too, yet they can't because most of them are already spoken for by members who already have more than their fair share of these topics.

Don't get me wrong, I think most of the people who run these threads do a decent job at keeping them updated and answered to the best of their ability, but it would be nice to have a variety of members who are in charge of these threads, thus diversifying the responses given and would give more people a chance to play one of the characters. :) I think limiting a member to 2 Ask Threads would be a good limit and would hopefully free up some of the other characters for other members to have a shot at them. ^^ Again, I'm not complaining here because I personally want an Ask Thread that's already taken, but just trying to make things a little more fair for others. :)

Now then, my second suggestion has to do with setting a time limit on how long a member can take in order to respond to said questions in the thread they are in charge of for the Ask The Characters topics. This does span from a conversation I had with a Staff Member, but without going into detail about that for confidentiality sake, all I'll say is that I think this should be put in place. Perhaps a weeks time to reply, seeing as it doesn't take more than a minute to post a simple reply to these threads and if you're going to take charge of them, you should at least update them in a timely fashion. Just because the thread gets updated by people asking the questions, the thread itself can't survive unless the thread creator is actively posting in it as well. :) I feel as though, if someone doesn't want to take the time to keep their thread updated, while another member is more than willing to take charge of that topic and keep it up to date, then they should be granted that right. Again though, this is just a suggestion and I'm fine with things the way they are, but I do believe that these two changes would be for the better in the long run. :)
KiarasMate
Legendary Lion

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): KM

Re: Ask The Character Threads - (suggestion)

Postby Shade » July 18th, 2010, 9:04 am

wow lol...Aren't you kind of making a really big deal out of this? Chill out man - it's just a Lion King forum. If you want possession of a certain thread just ask whoever made it if they can give it to you (:
^Made by Taka

Spoiler: show
THE GAME

"I'm the only one who's gonna die when it's time for me to die. So let me live my life the way I want to."
-Jimi Hendrix
Shade

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 1

Postby KiarasMate » July 18th, 2010, 9:09 am

Clearly, you didn't read my post, since I specifically stated multiple times that I wasn't making this suggestion for personal reasons or gain. thanks for contributing your two cents though. I'll be sure to toss them into the fountain of caringness when I have the chance.
KiarasMate
Legendary Lion

Postby Mike » July 18th, 2010, 9:19 am

*facepaw*

Can we get this over with?

A few members chip in their thoughts, possibly with solid reasoning and maturity, possibly not, the staff tells them to be nice, and they'll think about it, the thread will get longer without anything being added to it, and lots stirred up by it, and then there'll be a decision.

Let's skip to the decision.
I host MLK Fan Artist of the Week in the Fan Art section
For three years I had roses, and apologized to no one.
Thanks to Jaynr for the avatar
Thanks to Simba for the TLK signature
Mike

King of Pride Rock

Nickname(s): Michael Freeman, Mikeyboy69, Sid

Postby Shade » July 18th, 2010, 9:22 am

Uhh..what? o.O Fountain of caringness ? yeh..you caught me. I actually didn't bother reading alot of that post. I was only suggesting you stop whining about something so unimportant. But I'm not looking for a fight so w/e I'm out. >.>
^Made by Taka

THE GAME

"I'm the only one who's gonna die when it's time for me to die. So let me live my life the way I want to."
-Jimi Hendrix
Shade

Pride Points: 1

Postby KiarasMate » July 18th, 2010, 9:39 am

KiarasMate
Legendary Lion

Postby FlipMode » July 18th, 2010, 10:07 am

[quote="Shade"]Uhh..what? o.O Fountain of caringness ? yeh..you caught me. I actually didn't bother reading alot of that post. I was only suggesting you stop whining about something so unimportant. But I'm not looking for a fight so w/e I'm out. >.>[/quote]

You should have, it would have made your reply look a bit less... dumb?
Because if you did, you would have known that he gave his two suggestions and reasoning(s) for each. Since this is the Feedback forum, that's kind of what goes in here,no?
So here's my suggestiong to you: part of being on a forum is that you might have to actually read stuff, I suggest you give it a go sometime.

And in response to the topic at hand: I think it's a pretty good idea, because I agreee with the point that it shouldn't all be ran by a small group of members. And that other members would appreciate having a chance to run the topic (even if it changed every week and people could just post in which ever one that they'd like a go, perhaps?)

So say this suggestion gets approved, do you think we would need another Moderator or at least someone specificaly assigned to maintain who is in charge of each thread at any moment, wether he/she is replying to them etc etc...
FlipMode

Pride Points: 266

Postby KiarasMate » July 18th, 2010, 10:13 am

I don't think a new mod would be needed, as Snowy is pretty much already keeping track of whose in charge of which character thread with his list. ^^ It might get a little confusing if the threads do change paws often but I still think it would be better than how it is now, if just slightly. ^^
KiarasMate
Legendary Lion

Postby PrincessKiara » July 18th, 2010, 10:38 am

I agree to these suggestions, it would definatly be nice to have a larger variety of members running the asking threads, as well as a time limit for replies. It would keep the threads alive, and more people would get the chance to run the threads of their favourite character.

So yeah, a big thumbs up from me on this one. :smile2:
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Postby SnowyCheetah » July 18th, 2010, 1:42 pm

I personally don't think this is entirely necessary. What's being suggested here is limiting the number of a certain type of thread that any one member can be the owner of. And while it may result in a little more incentive for the member to keep their thread updated, it seems unnecessary to me since the staff, if contacted with a complaint that someone is not keeping their thread updated, can handle these few-and-far-between issues individually without the need for a set course of action to use on all of them. For example the one I was contacted with; I contacted the member in question and they began paying better attention to their thread.

If we really need to have a time limit where the member can go without posting before losing the thread, I would suggest one month - the amount of time any regular thread can go without a reply before it's considered dead and vulnerable to someone else making a new one for the same purpose and having the first one locked.

As for how many members can have "ask" threads, I feel this is just plain unnecessary. At the moment, I know of no one who is unhappy because they didn't get an "ask" thread. I believe one is still yet to be made at all. And I'm sure that one or more of the members currently running some, if asked, would be reasonable enough to let someone else take over one or more.

That 2in diameter fart can probably adds at least 50bhp.
SnowyCheetah
The Meme de la Meme

is mayonnaise a gender

Nickname(s): Snowy, Snow, Sno, SC, SS, Snowball, Stormy
Pride Points: 23

Next

Return to Feedback & How-To