Pokémon Nuzlocke Challenges

Re: Pokémon Nuzlocke Challenges

Postby Squeely » August 2nd, 2016, 10:14 pm

Defog is worse than Flash, imo. At least without Flash, you're just derping around in a dark cave. Without Defog, the fog messes up your accuracy in battle. But yeah, I really hate HMs. I think they should all be replaced by Key Items, that way progress could still be halted if need be. Or like, change them to Field Moves, with tutors for each move, but they don't take up a moveslot and are only used outside of battle. Or even just make them instantly-forgettable, since now that TMs are infinite-use, you could swap out a TM move for an HM move, then swap right back. I dunno, just, something to make HMs less of a hassle.

I think the worst thing is when Victory Road requires a bunch of HMs. At least early into the game, you don't have a full team, so using up a slot on something that knows Cut isn't that intrusive. When I have to either bring a slave or mess up my movesets when I'm wanting to get my team of six leveled up for the E4, though... Ugh. If memory serves, you need Flash in Emerald's Victory Road, which is going to be lovely.

Part 4 go!

Squeely's Emerald Nuzlocke part 4: Two Evolutions and Our First Badge
Spoiler: show
50 years of GRINDAN later, we're ready to take on the next portion of the game. Here are the highlights from the GRINDAN:
ImageImageImage
Learned some pretty good moves. Well, Gust is nothing great, since Pickle isn't Flying, but it's worth a mention. Defense Curl + Rollout on Bubble is going to be a deadly combo. Gotta love how Pickle only has, like, half a backsprite, too.

ImageImage
The team after grinding. Since leveling up took forever, I had to make some decisions over who will and who won't be used for the purposes of battling. Le Fly, lv. 18, and Pickle, lv. 17, will be onboard until we defeat the second gym, since they'll be useful there. Past that, I'm not sure. Pickle seemed very underwhelming during the grind session, so he'll probably get the boot. Obviously, Cojiro, lv. 15, and Bubble, lv. 17, are mainstays. Pumbloom's Uproar seems quite strong at the moment, so he stays. Ziggy isn't really a battler, but she has Pickup, so she's good to keep around for that. Pumbloom and Ziggy are lv. 18 and 14, respectively.

Shenzi and Priscilla are benched for the time being. I don't see the two being very useful for anything coming up, though they may have uses in the future. Priscilla's Yawn will probably still be used to catch stuff. Priscilla seemed to level up at a snail's pace, sadly, which isn't helped by the fact that she can only attack every other turn. Keeping her on would probably drag the team down. They're both lv. 11.

Before I head to the gym, it's time to take a tour of scenic Rustboro city. Such excite.

I'm here at the Trainer's School to learn me a thing.

I learned that crazy guy's name is Scott.

Of which I am one.

No. I'm a janitor.

That is the worst advice I've ever heard. Cut is a terrible move in-battle, and I'm not sure if it's even necessary to progress in this game. Ziggy's gonna learn it so I can assuage my OCD and pick up every item, but still.

But like, you're doing that on Gameboy Advances. Are there in NPCs within your Gameboy who are trading Pokemon? Are there NPCs within their Gameboys who are trading Pokemon? I... I think we may have just discovered an infinite loop of universes.

I hadn't brought this up till now, but like, I really want a Grass type T-T

ImageImage
So you... scratch them? Someone should call Child Protective Services on this school. He gave me one of my own. Thanks, I guess.

Pumbloom is my slowest team member by miles. Here ya go, little buddy. Now you can be faster than things sometimes maybe.

How's it going, Mr. Salt? Paprika doing well? ...How the heck did salt and pepper shakers manage to make a baby? Blue's Clues was weird.

>NO.
I have a gym to go fight. I'm not watching your human worm baby.

ImageImage
>YES.
Quite a few, in fact. Though most probably aren't appropriate for this site.

Still, I shall Tell Him The Words.

I win the maturity award.

Let's shall.

Boooooooooger.

What the heck kind of baby doesn't laugh at the word booger? Shoot son, I'm over here at 26, chuckling slightly at the word booger.

Gotta love how all these Pokedolls are arranged so I can't talk to P̶a̶p̶r̶i̶k̶a̶ Wanda.

ImageImageImage
I mostly just throw cheese and veggies together between a couple tortillas and heat it up in the microwave in a very half-assed attempt at making a quesadilla.

Me too thanks.

What the heck? That's worse than my crappy nicknames.

>NO.
Even though I really want a Seedot.

It's really not. I learned pretty much nothing about Pokemon there.

Oh hey, another one of these to throw at a Pokemon, only for the Pokemon to break out of it. A yay.

Time to finally head into the gym!

ImageImageImage
I already knew all of this, but um, thanks, I guess. It's better than telling me the Pokemon at the left is the first one out, at least.

I really like how Emerald has a lot of these. You can choose to do em as a doubles or a singles battle. Bit of a shame that this doesn't happen as often in later generations. I'll probably do them as doubles, though. Seems like it'd be faster that way.

Then why are you in a building with a wall directly to your right?

Will these Geodude be able to kill Cojiro with Rock moves?! Will I ever do a double battle with Pokemon
other than these two?!

Cojiro ain't dying anytime soon if Tackle is the best these Geodude can muster.

Everyone should know what happens at level 16.

Pretty pointless, because Ember hits just about everything Peck does, but Ember gets STAB. But it's better than Growl I suppose.

Guess what also happens to Bubbles at level 18!

That's right! The cutest Gen 2 Pokemon is evolving into something still pretty cute!

A yay.

O_o

Nyoom!

ImageImage
A yay. Double Kick is definitely better than Focus Energy.

I'm so much better, I can beat you with a moth.

Will Rock moves put Pickle in a pickle?!

Evidently not.

That's because all three of you refuse to actually use Rock moves.

Hello, I am Squeely. I have bubbles that resemble a rabbit-mouse hybrid.

Here it go.

ImageImage
Those were easy. Thought she had one Geodude and one Onix, but I guess not.

Here comes a giant nose. How much will Bubbles' Water Gun do?

A little over half.

ImageImage
Oh no, now I can't switch to things that are bad against it!

Of course. Maybe I'll get lucky and still knock it out with a high damage roll.

A nope.

ImageImage
She likes drawing red X's on Bubbles.

ImageImage
Two Potions. Twas the Nosepass who refused to die.

Finally.

I ams winner.

Stone Badge get!

I can now clear insurmountable waist-height trees.

Now I, too, can draw X's on people.

It wasn't Bubbles. Definitely wasn't Bubbles. Nope. Clearly, your cheering knocked Nosepass out.

Goods is such a strange, vague word. Seems kinda weird to use it in this context. Is "goods" really something people say when they're being robbed?

It me.

I still have no idea what on Earth those are. But um, sure.

ImageImageImage
Peeko got tired of your crap and your ugly wailing. Peeko left to join Team Aqua. Peeko's a rebel.

Yeah, Wingull aren't that great. But, why even steal Pokemon? Wouldn't it be far less hassle to just buy a Pokeball and catch one yourself? These things are literally everywhere.

Sure.

ImageImageImage
"I gave up on crime because a cicada bit my dog."

ImageImageImageImage
Just because I beat you, doesn't mean you have to give it to me. I'm like, 12 in this game. You could overpower me. You could just run off to get that back to your boss. But um, okay, I guess.

Peeko won't be glad till she sees you dead.

I doubt that. Team Aqua just uses Pokemon for battling and getting their way. I don't think they really harm them.

I still don't have a Grass type T-T

ImageImage
There they go. Poor Peeko.

ImageImage
Have a lot of these from this guy and from Pickup. Will definitely use em once I find something that won't easily be caught by a Pokeball.

A fetch quest. A yay.

It really wasn't hard stopping Team Aqua. But sure, I guess.

ImageImage
Your staff really ought to carry Pokemon on them. Or pepper spray. Or both. Both is good.

ImageImageImage
Oh boy, just piling on the fetch quests.

I'm doubtful of that claim. Your employee got jumped twice.

He gave me one of these. A yay.

This, however, might be helpful for grinding.

Ohai.

Pointless, but a yay.

A few.

>YES.

Not an ideal matchup for Le Fly, though.

Cojiro is far better at taking Embers.

Down in one critical Double Kick. Ouch.

Another less-than-ideal matchup.

Not a ton better, but better.

ImageImage
One Uproar did that much. Pumbloom is a beast.

Thanks. I like to think I've pulled a decent team together, despite the Nuzlocke rules.

With that, we end part 4. With Le Fly at lv. 18, Cojiro at lv. 16, Pickle at lv. 17, Bubbles at lv. 19, Pumbloom at lv. 18, and Ziggy still at 14. Next time, we catch a few more things, then take on another gym!
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby Carl » August 3rd, 2016, 7:21 am

[quote]As for Shedinja it's because I've never personally known how to use it properly, if I recall correctly it's that gimmicky 1-HP Ghost(?) Pokemon you get from Nincada. Not sure if that'd even last the challenge at all. :lol:[/quote]
Yeah, that's right. Bug/Ghost, 1-HP, Wonder Guard ability so that only super effective moves do damage at all. In a Nuzlocke, he'd definitely be a tough one to get through, but he can be super boss.

Anyhoo...

Carl's Silver Nuzlocke Part 3

I made my way into Union Cave, where I caught a Lvl. 7 Zubat, and I named her Batgirl. I went back to the Pokémon Center and replaced Tobias with her. We cleared the cave easily enough, and on Route 33, I caught a male Spearow, Lvl. 6 and named him Spencer. My team skipped Azalea Town and Slowpoke Well to catch a Pokémon in Ilex Forest, which turned out to be a Lvl. 5 Kakuna, whom I named Brad. Here we did a bit of grinding and then we talked to Kurt the BALL maker, and followed him to Slowpoke Well to fight the Rockets. We easily defeated them all, and picked up a lvl. 6 Slowpoke whom I dubbed Sarah. Knowing that the Azalea Gym specializes in Bug types, I decided to head back into Ilex Forest to train up Skywalker. As I approached the forest, however, I was stopped by Negan, who called me weak and challenged me to another Pokémon battle.

He sent out a Gastly. Skywalker took care of that handily, being unphased by Lick and rocking that Gust. Negan sent out Zubat, so I switched to Shale, who took care of that with a Rock Throw. Negan prepared to send out Quilava, and fearing for Burrito's, Han's, and Batgirl's lives should they face him, I left Shale on the field. Several Embers later, Shale was dying, burned, and had been healed repeatedly. Quilava was barely hurt, but I figured a couple of Hyper Fangs from SirFratley would turn that around, so I withdrew Shale and sent in my loyal Rattata. A Smokescreen from Quilava destroyed SirFratley's accuracy, and so two Embers later, he was tragically our first casualty. :dramaking: The Quilava was about half dead now, so I sent out Skywalker, still shell shocked, but thinking he had a better chance than my remaining party members. One Ember from Quilava was a critical hit and in a single move, Skywalker became the second death. :brokenheart:

Not wanting to risk Burrito or Han, and knowing Shale couldn't take another hit, I reluctantly sent out Batgirl. Batgirl immediately used Supersonic, which helped a little, and proceeded to start biting. A couple of Embers hit her, and took her down to 3 HP, but Quilava couldn't last any longer, and so Batgirl avenged SirFratley and Skywalker. Negan whined and badmouthed me and left, while my team and I mourned our fallen comrades. After the funeral's conclusion, we returned to the Pokémon Center, where I withdrew Spencer from the box and headed into Ilex Forest to train him. After grinding him for a while (and returning the Farfetch'd for Cut and a Charcoal), I decided it was time he and Shale wiped the floor with Bugsy—which they did without taking a single hit. We then returned to the Pokémon Center and healed, and decided to rest for the night.

Current party:
Han- Gastly, Lvl. 14
Spencer- Spearow, Lvl. 16
Batgirl- Zubat, Lvl. 14
Burrito- Chikorita, Lvl. 14
Shale- Geodude, Lvl. 17
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby Squeely » August 3rd, 2016, 5:28 pm

[quote="Carl Skywalker"]
Yeah, that's right. Bug/Ghost, 1-HP, Wonder Guard ability so that only super effective moves do damage at all. In a Nuzlocke, he'd definitely be a tough one to get through, but he can be super boss. [/quote]
Yup. I've been debating with myself whether I should even bother with Shedinja. I'm not even sure if Shedinja fits within the Nuzlocke rules... I guess it doesn't break the rules to allow an extra slot for it. Or it could count as my Slateport catch.

From what I've read, though, Shedinja is more difficult to keep alive than one would think. A lot of Pokemon in the game carry surprise super effective moves. Even people doing non-Nuzlocke playthroughs have had a ton of trouble with it. That and, you die to anything that causes 1HP of damage. Poison, Confusion, Sandstorm, Spikes... And I'm pretty sure you take damage on the first turn of those being used in gen 3. So, either of those/other moves like them, get used, you can kiss Shedinja goodbye.

Sorry you had a couple losses there, Carl. My condolences. :hug:

Squeely's Pokemon Emerald Nuzlocke part 5: My Bugs

Time to go wave my bugs in some peoples' faces.

Poor Peeko is forever trying to escape Mr. Briney's gross kisses.

ImageImage
Unfortunately I have to sail with this creep since I got sent on fetch quests.

Peeko: "Oh thank god, a break from these sweaty hugs."

Off we go on our impossibly tiny boat that isn't big enough to hold two people. I'm... Not exactly thrilled at being stuck in close-quarters with this guy.

ImageImage
Thankfully, a call from Dad is all that happened.

A yay.

ImageImageImage
This fashionable lad gave me a Silk Scarf.

ImageImage
Switching items around.

I am gonna troll you guys so hard.

ImageImage
>NO.

Alright, I'll be nice. I won't ruin these peoples' lives by putting in something horribly immature.

Lol jk.

ImageImage
It's more warm than cool, I'd say.

I see you're an exec in children's television.

ImageImage
You're probably the first person I've met who loves farts so much they'd collect merchandise of it.
Probably.
I mean...
:zukazama:

Sadly this is not the grossest thing I've seen a baby doll do. I think the ones that pee are worse.

I'm picturing one of those "gangsta" Looney Tunes shirts for some reason.

ImageImage
*Illustration of the mechanics behind a fart*

ImageImage
Pretty sure it's always been a part of our daily lives tbh.

ImageImage
You ever lie awake at night, pondering the social and environmental implications of your farts? Or am I the only one?

ImageImage
ABSOLUTELY >YES.
Pizza farts are horrible and yet I just can't help myself.

Another children's television executive.

There would be far less sulfur smell when my boyfriend has too much milk.

ImageImageImage
You're a couple generations too early. Wait till gen 5. Skuntank, Pignite, Garbodor, and Stunfisk will love you.

ImageImage
I'm good at hidden items.

ImageImage
Not particularly. The only reason I'd go fishing would be to spend time with my dad. I'm not much into it myself. But, sure.

I checked, and Dewford doesn't have anything amazing via fishing with better rods or surfing. Just Wailmer, which is probably inevitable that I'll catch one in another place. So time for this.

Quelle surprise.

ImageImage
Was worried Le Fly might knock it out, and I forgot Priscilla, so Ziggy handled this one.

I messed up when entering Levi's name and now he's got dark rings under his eyes and keeps going on about catching some serial killer.

Route 106's encounters looked to be much the same as Dewford's. The only thing I can catch with better methods is Wailmer.

However, the Old Rod can yield one more Pokemon...

Remembered Priscilla this time.

Switched to Ziggy so Priscilla wouldn't be at risk, and used a Great Ball for no other reason than it goes with Tentacool's color scheme.

Cliche nickname is cliche.

Time to see what we get in Granite Cave.

We get a humoss. Now I can light up dark places. Joy.

Now for the encounter.

Heeyyyyyy Makuhita! AY!

When I dance they call me Macarena
And the boys they say que estoy buena
They all want me, they can't have me
So they all come and dance beside me

ImageImageImage
Good natures all-around. Lonely boosts Attack and lowers Defense, Defense drop shouldn't be too bad when you factor in Gyarados having Intimidate. Bit of a shame all Water moves are special in this gen, but at least Levi's non-Water moves get a boost. Docile is neutral. Possible replacements for Bubbles and Cojiro, should they die.

Gym time!

I sure do love only being able to see a few feet in front of me.

ImageImage
That's why I gots me some Bugs.

That's... one of the last things I would expect it to learn.

ImageImage
It's probably worse than Sand Attack, but... Holy crap, what if it makes every turn of Fury Swipes hit? Might be worth keeping until I get something better.

We'll find out in the first-ever doobluh battluh with Pokemon other than Cojiro and Bubbles. Gotta love how Pickle has even less of a sprite.

Time to test my theory out.

A nope.

Detect is annoying.

Walking up to Brawly like

Here my bugs go.

A few Fury Swipes only did that much before Machop started Bulking Up... I don't think you're in a very good position here, Le Fly.

Confusion time.

Holy crap. Really? Freaking Seismic Toss? This is why I spent so long overleveling my team. Actually, we're roughly even with the levels of this fight, but compared to normal trainers, I mean.

Machop's getting jacked.

Freaking Super Potions.

It is a good thing that Pickle quad-resists Karate Chop. Forgot to screenshot Machop fainting, but look at that pixel of health. You know what happened next.

ImageImage
Pickle, you're terrible at using Gust. It didn't even do half. Also, eww, Light Screen.

Pickle's Gust (physical in 3rd gen, so Light Screen doesn't buff against it) is just crappy enough to let Meditite survive. Eww. Really not wanting to face Makuhita with dual screens up. I could probably knock Meditite out real quick, but I'd rather bring in something to stall the screens a little.

Wellp, so much for knocking Meditite out quickly.

He wasn't in dire need of healing or anything, but may as well get him back up to full while I wait for the screens to fade.

HOLY CRAP.

But Bubbles takes it like a champ. No more Focus Punches for you, Meditite.

Bubbles was out for revenge.

Switched Pickle in on Makuhita. He took pretty much nothing from Vital Throw.

Pickle, however, has Super Effective Confusion.

ImageImage
Got really lucky on the second Confusion, too.

Freaking Sitrus Berries.

Pickle wins.

Yeah that crit from Bubbles was pretty intense.

Knuckle Badge get!

Oh goodie.

Now my Pokemon can abuse steroids too.

We end part 5 with Le Fly at lv. 19, Pickle at lv. 18, Cojiro at lv. 16, Bubbles at lv. 19, Pumbloom at lv. 18, and Ziggy at lv. 14. I had planned on evolving Le Fly before fighting Brawly, but she didn't quite reach level 20. Oh well.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby KopsTheTerminator » August 7th, 2016, 2:10 am

Yikes, that's just bad luck @KD. Two in a row? Really game? :ehh2:

Also I'd finished part 2 a while ago but been too busy to other things to properly post it here.

Insert Witty Part 2 Title of my Challenge Here

Since I have absolutely no life whatsoever, I pick the game up again. For good measure I decide to level Shatterfly up to level 13, where she learns Poisonpowder. Fair enough?

After that I head back to Route 22. I can't believe how easy it would be to miss this rival encounter tbh, there's nothing in the game hinting at you to head there.

Kaz's second Pokemon is this. And I'm the loser here?
Wiping out his team was pretty damn easy. No complaints. Viridian Forest it is.

Of course, my first Viridian encounter is this. Yawn... But to be fair, I do need a Grass type for Brock, even if temporarily. Maybe I can evolve it into a Sunflora later, never used one before.

A complete success, he's nicknamed Narcissus. Why not. I decide to head back to Route 22 to level this little guy up, as I noticed that route has a plethora of Water types that I very conveniently missed. And, at level 16, he's learnt... Growth and Mega Drain. Uh, maybe he's a late bloomer? I hope? Ahahahaha. Not the most flexible moveset so far in any case. I switch to Spitfire because I figured he'd have the time of his life in a forest full of bug types.

This run is testing my will to live.

It seems the randomiser kept the original bugs but also added a few other Pokemon as well, notably Pichu, Igglypuff and Cleffa which are all baby Pokemon. Strange.

I failed to capture a screenshot of it, but the first Bug Catcher was also using a Pichu as well as a Kakuna. That's probably one of the thousands of cute baby mice I've killed in this forest on a vain quest for power.

Welp, in fact the second one had a Pichu as well. Are they just trying to make me jealous?

I would if I could, friend, but the game doesn't let me give you your Potion back, so to you it'll just look like I just stole your items and waltzed away. Pity.

Pewter City it is, aaand... Oh. Route 2, I guess it's a continuation of the route before Viridian Forest, so I can't catch anything on the tall grass here. Dammit.

I decide to grab a couple potions after a quite pointless visit to the Pewter Museum to prepare for the Gym battle. I'm not gonna like this am I.

"My Pokemon are all the Rock type!"

You tell yourself that.

I mean, a Water type works too, so I'm okay with this. Though the residents of this region certainly need to go to Pokemon school or something.

The cuteness is frightening, I'll give you that. I'd forgotten the Randomiser would randomise Gym leaders too. Not particularly hard beating the first gym but I'm okay with this.

After Spitfire single-handendly sweeping most trainers in Route 3, we finally reach tall grass. Oh boy...

Ground/Ice? Interesting. Not my favourite evolutionary tree design-wise, but I'm pretty sure it makes for a decent Pokemon. Well, at least in D/P/Pt, not sure how well it would fare in Gen III.

I’ll be honest, I had to stop playing for a day simply because I was stuck on nicknaming the damn thing. This is the most challenging part of this challenge so far. Thatcher it is. Don’t ask.

Training montage!

Welp. This is why fighting Poison types is a goddawful idea. I bring out Shatterfly and Confuse the Tentacool to oblivion. Thankfully for Thatcher I have a single Antidote left in my bag. Jeez, that was close. After that I decide to stock up on Potions and Antidotes in Pewter to avoid any unfortunate incidents in the future.

Ah, this jackass. I’ve absolutely no idea whether accepting gift Pokemon during the challenge is against the rules, so sadly I have to say no to potential Gyarados. Oh well.

I decide to be lazy and level Swinub only up to level 16 before heading to Mt. Moon. Eh, we’ll be fine. Let’s see what weird encounter this area will bring.

PASS. Let me guess, second encounter is something cool that I can't catch. Randomiser whyyy.

God must hate me
Maybe you should pray for me
I'm breaking down and you can't save me
God must hate me now

Cool, at least the Randomiser makes it look like they actually USE the Pokemon they steal instead of using Zubats all the time.

That must be embarrassing back at their HQ.

One Team Rocket wiping later, we're at Route 4.

Please be something good...

Yup, it's official: I've pissed off a deity out there somewhere. I wouldn't complain over a Golbat, but I just can't be bothered training again just for a Golbat I'll probably replace later on, so pass.

And I think I'll end it here in Cerulean. Team status:

Fair enough. I might get them all up to level 20 for the gym next time.
KopsTheTerminator

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Carl » August 9th, 2016, 5:10 am

Yeah it was quite unfortunate.

I'mma need to get me some "REAR SMELL" merchandise too, there, Squeels. "REAR SMELL" is the happening thing. :P

And dang, Kops, a Zubat on randomizer... what luck. That certainly looks like a very interesting playthrough though.

And now... *drumroll*

Carl's Silver Nuzlocke Part 4: Such Forest, Very Cave, WOW

Having defeated Azalea Gym, it was time to do the unspeakable--I had to teach Burrito Cut in order to get through Ilex forest. Before going through, however, we headed back so that I could use Cut to get missing items through the earlier part of the region. It's my OCD. That done, we returned to Ilex Forest and cleared it, Burrito evolving into Bayleef along the way. On Route 34, we encountered a Lvl. 10 female Drowzee, I caught her and dubbed her Hippolyta, as she'd be turning into Hypno at some point. I then got my Bike and defeated all of the trainers in the underground path and picked up the Coin Case. As I was leaving, Anthony called me for a rematch. So we headed back through Ilex Forest and went to fight him. Defeated him easily and headed back into Ilex Forest to grind for a bit. At this point I was called by Liz and Joey for rematches. So then I went back through the forest and back through Union Cave to teach them each another lesson. That done, I returned to Goldenrod and headed off onto Route 35 to fight the trainers there and do some grinding. My catch there was a Lvl. 12 Nidoran♂, whom I named Ben King. Sadly, this acquisition means that I won't be catching a Vulpix on this run, as they only live on this route in the wild, but whatever, I could have gotten something worse than Ben King out here. Get a Moon Stone and he'll grow up to kick ass.

While out here, I was called by Liz and Todd for rematches, so I trekked back to Todd and kicked his rear, then stopped at the Daycare to drop off Han and Tobias. I then made my way back to Liz's weird spot on the road, beat her again, and returned to the Daycare where I took Tobias back, boxed him, and dropped off Sarah. At this point, I was called by Joey for a rematch, so I made my way back through Ilex Forest and Union Cave again so I could go defeat his top percentage Rattata once more. On my way back to Goldenrod this time, in the midst of Ilex Forest, Spencer evolved into Fearow. Awesome. I picked up Han from the Daycare (noticing they'd given him crap moves), then headed into National Park to continue grinding and fighting trainers in preparation for Whitney's Gym. There I caught a Lvl. 10 Hoothoot, male, whom I named Naman, because reasons. And then I was called by Joey for yet another rematch. After clearing the park, I traversed back through Ilex Forest and Union Cave again to fight him once more. Defeated him and went back through the cave and forest. On the way back, Batgirl evolved. When I had reached the Pokemon Center in Goldenrod, Anthony called for a rematch. I fought him again and went back to Goldenrod... only to be called by Joey for still ANOTHER rematch. After defeating him this time, I picked up Sarah from the Daycare and spent some time grinding on Route 35. While out here, Shale evolved. I was pretty tired of this area by now, so I decided to challenge the gym. I had already defeated Whitney's underlings while grinding, so I went straight for the Gym Leader herself.

First, I sent out Hippolyta to fight the Clefairy. Unfortunately, Clefairy's Metronome ended up using Baton Pass, so out came Miltank, with my unprepared Drowzee out. I did have a plan going into this battle, but it didn't play out. I'd intended for Hippolyta to put Clefairy to sleep and Ice Punch it into oblivion; but now that wasn't going to happen. Not wanting anyone to take a hit if they didn't have to, I tried Hypnosis anyway, but it didn't work. Miltank used Stomp and not Rollout, so I risked attempting Hynosis a second time. It failed again, and Miltank's next Stomp was a crit that killed Hippolyta. Honestly that kinda sucked, but I don't really care for Drowzee and hadn't had her for long, so it's not that big of a loss. It was time to implement part 2 of my plan--I sent out Shale, with her massive Defense stat for the level (about 74 I think) and the ace up her sleeve... Dig. I knew that Shale would be resistant to Rollout (obviously, it's a Rock-type move, and she is a Rock-type, not to mention the defense stat), and Dig would make it so that Rollout never got its consecutive hit power up. Miltank tried to do Rollout, as I'd predicted, with laughable results as Shale simply shrugged it off and tunneled underground. The battle was over very quickly.

My notes now just say "Am victory."

Current party:
Sarah- Slowpoke, Lvl. 19
Shale- Graveler, Lvl. 25
Burrito- Bayleef, Lvl. 22
Batgirl- Golbat, Lvl. 22
Spencer- Fearow, Lvl. 20
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Postby Carl » September 12th, 2016, 1:10 am

Wow, it's been a while, you guys. Got enough done for an update, finally, though, so here we go!

Carl's Silver Nuzlocke Part 5: Ghosts

Having successfully defeated the Goldenrod Gym, my team and I decided to go do a little bit of training. We got bored of that, and decided to go to the Flower Shop in Goldenrod, where we were given the SQUIRTBOTTLE. That in hand, we made our way up the path and saw a weird tree that was kinda dancin' or something, so I thought it'd be funny to shoot it with the SQUIRTBOTTLE. Turns out it was a Pokemon. A Sudowoodo. I easily defeated it, and then headed into Ecruteak City, where I met a strange dude named Bill at the Pokemon Center. He said he was going home to his place in Goldenrod, so I figured I'd just stalk him back there. He gave me a level 20 male Eevee, whom I dubbed BrianBlake for Walking Dead geek reasons (and because of my plans for him). I saw the little pond in Ecruteak and thought it'd be fun to go fishing. I caught a level 10 female Magikarp and named her Megara. That done, I headed into the Burnt Tower to check it out.

Negan surprise!

Spencer defeated Haunter with ease, pecking it to death. Shale then took care of Magnemite with a Dig, Quilava with a Magnitude, and Zubat with Rock Throw. It was a very simple battle this time, and following it, I encountered and captured a level 16 female Magmar whom I named Maggie inside the tower. After clearing the Burnt Tower, I decided to make my way back to Azalea to make Kurt make me a BALL, because why not? I followed the trail all the way back around to Violet and on the way back to Goldenrod, I picked up the HARD STONE from Arthur of Thursday. At this point, I decided it was time for some major grinding. We fought many wild Pokemon and rebattled lots of trainers who called for rematches, destroying them all repeatedly. The grinding and running in circuits around the central part of Johto (Violet to Goldenrod via Azalea) got old and stale quickly, but we pressed on until I felt my Pokemon were good enough for the Ecruteak Gym. I walked in boldly with Spencer in the lead, and wiped the floor with all of Morty's underlings. When fighting Morty himself, Spencer was put to sleep with a Hypnosis. I used a Super Potion on him and Gengar used Dream Eater, killing Spencer with one hit. Shale avenged Spencer, and defeated Morty. I then taught BrianBlake Shadow Ball, and filled Spencer's empty place in my party with Maggie.

RIP Spencer. :cry:

Current Party:
Maggie- Magmar, Lvl. 16
Shale- Graveler, Lvl. 27
Burrito- Bayleef, Lvl. 26
BrianBlake- Eevee, Lvl. 20
Sarah- Slowpoke, Lvl. 21
Batgirl- Golbat, Lvl. 24
Carl

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Postby Carl » September 16th, 2016, 5:18 am

I'm kinda sad that I seem to be the only one still doing this, but whatever, here we go, next part!

Carl's Silver Nuzlocke Part 6: Nananananananana BATGIRL!

First thing's first, I took Maggie grinding to catch her up to everyone else. Then I took her and Burrito to the Dance Theatre in Ecruteak and wrecked the Kimono Girls. That old guy who's trying to teach his Rhydon SURF (I love doing that, btw) gave me the SURF HM, so I taught Sarah the move. I headed over to Route 38 where I caught a Lvl. 16 Meowth and named him Matthias. Then I headed back to Azalea Town to pick up a LURE BALL from KURT and then dropped off another Apricorn with him. Then I made my way into Union Cave to SURF into the depths of the cave; this is actually why I haven't yet gone into the caves in the Ruins of Alph--I didn't want my first encounter there to be Unown. After surfing into the depths of the cave and beating the trainers within, the cave comes out in the Ruins of Alph where there is a patch of grass. In said grass, I caught a Lvl. 18 Natu, whom I dubbed Samantha, and considered much more useful to my team than an Unown would have been. After clearing the rest of Union Cave, I made my way up to Route 42, where I caught a Lvl. 17 Flaafy whom I named Roberta. And it was on this Route that Batgirl evolved into Crobat! Woohoo!

At this point, I headed up to Route 43, where I caught a Lvl. 15 Girafarig whom I named Regina. It was now time to grind! I decided to go ahead and clear the Ruins of Alph, then I surfed near the Daycare so that I could go fight and defeat the three Cooltrainer sisters (which was a cakewalk) and picked up the Soft Sand from them. Then I went on over to Route 38 again, defeated the trainers, stopped at Moomoo Farms and gave the sick Miltank all of my BERRYs before moving onto Route 39. Here I caught a Lvl. 16 Magnemite and named it CPL. Thundr. Now I waltzed into Olivine, was slandered by Negan (again), and started in on the Lighthouse. At this point, I realized that my team was very similar to the team Team Four Star has on their current Nuzlocke of SoulSilver (we both have Crobat, they have Slowbro and Meganium, who I have earlier forms of). Not wanting to get rid of Batgirl or Burrito as they are awesome, I decided to replace Sarah with something else. So I went fishing in Olivine with the Good Rod and caught a Lvl. 20 Krabby, and named her Katey cos it was the first name that came to mind. Then I went to Route 40 to fish, hoping for a Corsola just because of its typing (don't really care for it otherwise) and instead caught a Lvl. 20 Staryu whom I decided to name Piccolo because of Dragon Ball Z nerd reasons.

I headed back to the Pokemon Center and switched out Sarah for Katey just because I can't evolve Piccolo until I get to Kanto. Boo. Only, Katey hasn't been doing so good. BrianBlake was still not loving me, either, so I worried he might not evolve any time soon and might need replacing, but before long he became an Umbreon, and Katey was still not impressing me. So I made a decision and went gambling. I gambled for a very long time and finally won enough coins to exchange for a Dratini, which was acquired at Lvl. 10, and I named him Shady because "Rap God" by Eminem was playing when I got him. So then I replaced Katey with Shady and went grinding again. During said grinding, Burrito evolved into Meganium, and Shady evolved into Dragonair. Woohoo!

Now I went back to the Lighthouse and finished kicking butt there. It was pretty simple. Talked to Jasmine at the top and agreed to help her get medicine for the sick Ampharos (what's up with all the sick Pokemon around this town?). That done, I headed back out of the lighthouse, healed up, and headed across the sea to Cianwood. There I picked up the medicine for Amphy, and Batgirl totally anhilated the gym, and the gym leader's wife gave me the HM for Fly, which I immediately taught to Batgirl because who needs Leech Life, amirite?

So at this point I've learned a couple of things I didn't know about Pokemon, and that would be that Magmar and Crobat are super awesome beasts who just kick flank so hard. I'm really glad they're on my team, tbh, and I actually have some stuff in the PC I want to raise, so if anyone dies (please no), I'll not be as hard pressed for replacements as I have been in the past. As another note, it makes me very sad that Shale will never evolve into Golem because Golem is the bee's knees. Le Bee's knees.

Current Party:
Batgirl- Crobat, Lvl. 33
Burrito- Meganium, Lvl. 32
Shale- Graveler, Lvl. 28
Shady- Dragonair, Lvl. 30
Maggie- Magmar, Lvl. 30
BrianBlake- Umbreon, Lvl. 29
Carl

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Postby Carl » September 20th, 2016, 4:05 am

I have two updates this time. This thread is deader than dead, but eh... whatever. TBH I'm growing a bit weary of my Silver Nuzlocke, in part because there's no discussion and no other Nuzlockes to discuss at the same time right now, which is the reason for the second update, just a little change of pace, something I'll get to in a little bit. For now, the short, short version, because, well, tbh, this all feels really uneventful and is a bit tiring to slog through sometimes.

Carl's Silver Nuzlocke Part 7

At this point, I surfed back to Olivine, took the medicine to Amphy, and had Maggie annihilate Jasmine. The gym battle was laughably simple. It was kinda sad. Took my awesome party to Lake of Rage, totally destroying everything in our path because my party is AWESOME. We bypassed Mt. Mortar because why would Flash when could Surf? I decided that the Red Gyarados in the lake is too akin to a legendary, and my rules dictate legendaries must be killed, so I killed it, forfeiting any chance of catching anything in the Lake of Rage (though tbh I think all you can catch there besides aforementioned Gyarados is Magikarp, which I already have, so...). Then I was met by Lance, who wanted my help investigating a strange radio broadcast that was allegedly forcing Magikarp in the Lake of Rage to evolve, but I have only ever seen the one Gyarados there, so I don't buy it. In the Rocket Base, I encountered a wild Lvl. 21 Koffing in a trap and caught her, naming her Winona. While doing battle with Scientist Ross, still in that Rocket base, his Koffing used Self Destruct and killed Shady with a crit despite being 10 levels lower than Shady at the time. Needless to say, I was and still am pissed, as I went through hell to get that Dragonair. So I went back to the PC and got Sarah back once again. I finished up the rest of the Rockets without any more trouble.

Then I took Maggie into Mahogany Gym. It was a slight challenge, but her, Burrito, and Batgirl taught those ice trainers and Pryce a very valuable lesson and there were no casualties. I then headed to the Radio Tower after getting a worried call from Prof. Elm and turning on the radio to hear the Rocket Theme. Most of the Rockets in the tower didn't give me any trouble, though there was a close call when the Koffing owned by one of the executives used Self Destruct on Sarah; fortunately my loyal Slowpoke survived with 12 HP. I headed underground to fight those Rockets, but was once again met by Negan. He was pretty easily dealt with, as were the rest of the Rockets here, and after defeating them and getting the Card Key from the Director, I went back into the Radio Tower and finished off the last of the Rockets. At this point I did some shopping round Ecruteak and took a break in Mahogany, not yet wanting to head into the Ice Tunnel or go fight the eighth Gym Leader.

Current Party:
BrianBlake- Umbreon, Lvl. 36
Sarah- Slowpoke, Lvl. 35
Maggie- Magmar, Lvl. 35
Batgirl- Crobat, Lvl. 34
Burrito- Meganium, Lvl. 34
Shale- Graveler, Lvl. 34

Now then! Time for the SECOND update. Just for a change of pace, I decided to do a randomized Platinum Nuzlocke. I will still finish Silver at some point, don't worry, but I need a break from it, and, well, was hoping to breathe some more life into this thread, I guess. So, what did I randomize?

-Randomized Starters
-Randomized encounters (1-1 area mapping)
-Randomized field items (banned "bad" items)
-Enabled impossible evolutions
-Lowercase Pokemon names

Nuzlocke Rules:

-Only catch first Pokemon in an area once PokeBalls are accessible. Dupes clause.
-Nicknames for all Pokemon caught.
-Fainted = dead. Must release it. I refuse to box the dead.
-Legendaries are to be defeated.

Without further ado, here's Part 1:

I will not record grinding sessions. Recording gameplay slows it, which I can fix with the finished video by slightly speeding it up, but I don't want my grinding to take even longer and doubt you guys wanna watch lots of grinding anyhow. There were some technical difficulties with this video, but whatever. Enjoy, I guess.
Carl

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Postby Sarger » September 22nd, 2016, 2:31 pm

I may do a BW2 Hard Mode Nuzlocke, it's something I've always wanted to do. I've never done them since I did my D/P one and the first Pokemon I saw in Eterna Forest was a Shiny Cascoon (which I couldn't catch). Bad luck.
Sarger
wew lad

ay lads

Pride Points: 11

Postby Carl » September 25th, 2016, 6:48 am

Ah, that would be neat. Get this thread breathing again maybe. :P

Shame about that shiny Cascoon. If I don't get much interest in my Platinum run, I think I'll start on Y after I beat Silver... Assuming I complete it before Sun and Moon come out. :ha:
Carl

Welcome to Carlmunism.

PreviousNext

Return to The Den